3DS: Friend Codes on First Page, OMG THE THIRD DIMENSION

The Damned

I'm thinking of getting a 3DS. I'm waiting for some used systems to become available at my local Gamestop later in June ($150 for a 3DS is not a bad deal for me). So far, the only games that pique my interest are Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Zelda 3D, and maybe Kid Icarus: Uprising. The upcoming games look interesting, but I'm wondering if its worth investing in it now, or should I wait for the better titles to come out and the price to drop again...

Any suggestions?

I have been enjoying my 3DS, I highly recommend demo-ing Kid Icarus. That was the game for me that made the 3DS worth it. If you can try Kid Icarus, and find you like it or not, I think that will be your answer to getting a 3ds now.

I agree. just got it yesterday. was amazed at how fun it is. well what made me get it was resident evil revelations. I have super mario 3d land also, It is fun buuuuuuuut easy, I mean like really easy. but enjoyable. MK7 though is fun. but it comes to your preference. just try things out. :-P

It was pretty easy even then. I mean it's not like it took more than 3 or 4 tries to get through any particular level...

... Well, mostly. I did die a lot of some levels. But it never felt hard, it just felt like I did something stupid. Which is more of a testament to the game's design than anything, I think.

here's a post i made on another forum regarding this new castlevania of which part of it was from yet another forum. i'm on a lot of forums...

-----

Some brief details from Nintendo Power, more info can be gotten from the mag itself:

- deep combat mechanics

- involves Trevor Belmont

- Fight with Trevor's version of the Combat Cross

- strong attacks with X

- wider-reaching attacks with Y

- secondary weapons like the boomerang-like glaive and electric bomb

- use these with A

- grab enemies with R

- block and dodge with L

- involves light and shadow magic returns

- earn experience points to unlock new combos

- these include launching foes into the air, smashing enemies down to the ground and more

- includes skeletons, axe-wielding undead and more

All these complaints; personally I'm a little excited for it. The screenshots clearly indicate 2.5D.

castle2.png

Notice how he's on an XY plane, with the two skeletons perfectly aligned with his path. Note how he's obviously swinging to the left to that chandelier which is also conveniently right in his direct path. The camera may be tilted to the side a bit but it still looks 2.5D to me.

That said, this doesn't look too bad, and I'm sure that considering there IS experience there'll be some sort of exploration component involved as well. Let's not cry foul just yet; IGA may not be involved as far as we can tell, but that doesn't necessitate that this will be absolute garbage.

crossposting from another forum because it's relevant

EDIT: MOAR DETAILS

- direct sequel to Lords of Shadow

- gameplay is reminiscent of Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia

- polygon-based graphics

- primarily plays in 2D and 2.5D

- occasional shift into a fully 3D environment

- Mirror of Fate encourages nonlinear exploration and discovery

- developed by Mecurysteam

“We felt that traditionally Castlevania games had done well on handheld, and indeed found a home there to a certain extent. The whole team really felt we could do something special and memorable on the format that would immerse players totally. The N3DS has allowed us to create something totally unique and exclusive to the format that we think players are going to absolutely love.” - Dave Cox, producer

- picks up 25 years after the end of the events that played out in Lords of Shadow

- Trevor Belmont steps up to stop Dracula

- this is not the same Trevor we know

- gameplay stretches across time

- players will eventually be able to control Trevor’s descendent, Simon Belmont

- there are two other unnamed characters are in the game as well

- switch between the four characters at predetermined points

- work through Dracula’s castle during different time periods

- each warrior boasts different abilities

- explore the same castle with marked differences between each character

- some paths may be blocked off due to characters not sharing the same abilities (like double jumping)

- Simon wields the Vampire Killer whip

- Trevor utilizes the Combat Cross that made its debut in Lords of Shadow

- Simon can use throwing axes and burning oil

- Simon can also summon mystical guardians to fight for him or protect him

- use the touch screen to leave notes for yourself

- mark places that you might like to re-visit later

- SpotPass and StreetPass will come into play

Source

Only seven more hours until the 3DS press conference... if that's what it really is.

I'm hoping they have enough to actually make it worthwhile doing. If it's just "here are a few games and did we mention that you can get all this info and more on our direct feed from our website, negating the point of coming to E3 in the first place?" shit like the regular conference, then fuck it.

They better have some real stuff to show.

Edited by The Damned

Only seven more hours until the 3DS press conference... if that's what it really is.

I'm hoping they have enough to actually make it worthwhile doing. If it's just "here are a few games and did we mention that you can get all this info and more on our direct feed from our website, negating the point of coming to E3 in the first place?" shit like the regular conference, then fuck it.

They better have some real stuff to show.

Then keep your expectations low, unlike what most Nintendo fanboys had for yesterday's e3 showing.:wink:

The thing is, I had already watched the MS, Sony, EA and Ubisoft conferences by then, so I really wasn't expecting anything anymore.

But yeah, seeing how the 3DS is pretty much my second system (third if you want to get technical and include my computer), ut's really more of a "what can you offer me to keep going with it?" kind of thing than anything else.

The other system of choice would be DS, in case you were wondering. Still lots of games to enjoy on that.

• 2 weeks later...