Tactics Ogre for PSP

Otakatt

Apologies in advance if there's already a topic about this. I did a search in the forums though and nothing popped up.

It's the beginning of the year and already there's 3 games coming out I really want. Dissidia Duodecim, Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection, and Tactics Ogre. Surprisingly, in spite of being a huge Final Fantasy fan girl I find that Tactics Ogre is the one I covet the most. By a lot.

I know some people aren't into remakes, but Tactics Ogre for the PSP looks so streamlined compared to the original. Even the music has been arranged (Orchestra~) and it sounds *amazing*. I've always loved the original so it's nice to see it get some polish and put on the PSP. The last game I played in the series, Knights of Lodis, was a huge disappointment. So... redeemption, gogo!

I wonder if it's going to be harder or easier than the original, since the original was kinda brutal at parts. Or if Canopus still gets mad if you try to give him chicken... >>;

I got a notice from Amazon to order it.. and ofcourse I jumped all over it. Just finished playing through it a month ago and it looks fantastic. I'm hoping it hasn't been dulled down as I liked how brutal and unfair it could be at times though once you unlock your more advanced classes and learn to use them properly it becomes way easier. Seeing a Tarot system instead of making your pledges to each element and then choosing one of your choose was disappointing but we shall see how it pans out.

I'm mainly curious about class balancing issues.. The archer felt far too powerful in Let us Cling Together, but in Knight of Lodis they were atrociously weak. Has me excited to see what they have in store for this classic. Curious also as to how they plan to handle any bonus treatment, the game itself had enough to stand alone with it's one extra dungeon and few extra classes.. All I can do is wait to see how it pans out when I get my copy.

That's one of many occasions it's brutal. Haborym.. No matter what battle he's in he's always one step from death's door. If he walks towards you his first turn, you have a 30% chance of saving his life unless you're 10 levels over the battle. Same for Sisteena, when they confuse her it's a 50/50 chance she's going to die the next turn. If she runs for you.. She might live.. She runs for them.. she's ensured to die.. Then you have those fights where the enemy gets insane height and range advantage, Aloser has two different fights depending on how you progress the story where she can either A. One shot your healers, or B. Weaken them to critical and then someone else take them out on their first turn...

But that's why I loved the game. Everything mattered, if your enemy had height and range advantage, you needed to know where to place your units on your map to march forward like an unbreakable wall, and in the process you were rewarded with victory for understanding how your classes worked and where best to attack and push forward for first. Those who haven't played it I'd recommend giving it a look. It's a real gem from the SNES/PSX era that alot of people never really looked at.

• 1 month later...

I just started playing this game. An hour in so far and I'm so overwhelmed despite the streamlined menus. And this is coming from a hardcore Final Fantasy Tactics fan. Everyone says that this Tactics Ogre installment in particular blows FFT out of the water...we'll see if this is true as I play on.

Sakimoto's music is excellent as usual. English translation is spot-on thanks to Alexander O. Smith. One thing I don't like is the huge discrepancy between the remade backgrounds and the old-school sprites. The latter looks really blurred for some reason compared to everything else. Also, an excellent translation like this could've really used some good voice acting, but that's just me nitpicking.

BTW, I somehow find myself always drawn to Yasumi Matsuno's games. FFT was my introduction to strategy RPGs back in the day. Then, Vagrant Story came along and rocked my world. Only one that I really wanted to devote more time to is FFXII.

Damn it, I wish I had a PSP so I could play this game.

I loved Tactics Ogre. It was such a good game (Knight of Lodis was not anywhere as good). It was a bit grindy though, if you wanted to do a good job with it you really had to make good use of the "negotiate" function or grind their levels in the training mode a lot. Did they change that at all?

Damn it, I wish I had a PSP so I could play this game.

I loved Tactics Ogre. It was such a good game (Knight of Lodis was not anywhere as good). It was a bit grindy though, if you wanted to do a good job with it you really had to make good use of the "negotiate" function or grind their levels in the training mode a lot. Did they change that at all?

They took out training mode and made it so that the classes themselves level instead of the character. So, say you've been using one person as a Knight and got them to level 15. Anyone else who changes their class to Knight will also be 15.

They took out training mode and made it so that the classes themselves level instead of the character. So, say you've been using one person as a Knight and got them to level 15. Anyone else who changes their class to Knight will also be 15.

WOAH

Cool. I used to remember preferring, back then, to level people up manually because it had a huge influence on how their stats were going up. That is, because every level an archer would get (for example +9 agility), an archer who started from Level 6 to Level 15 would have more agility than a knight who was Level 6 to 15 and then class-changed to an archer.

It was a very subtle way to give the classes some individual character as well because otherwise they were pretty carbon-copied from each other.