Win 7 OS thoughts/opinions?

I have had windows 7 64 bit in my possession for some time and last i tried converting to it, it seemed like a waste of my time.

But now Pro Tools 9 is out and im trying to get certified for it. however, they don't make it for Win XP at all! Now I HAVE to convert.

So my question for you all is: for those who have this OS, how is it when running FL studio or any east west software? pretty good? 64 bit?

I've been on win 7 64 for a few months now. No trouble at all with FL9, EWQLSO or EWQLSC NI versions (well, technically choirs does have trouble with FL, but that's another story).

yeah FL doesnt like symphonic choirs. you using that dxshell plugin?\

also, my EWQLSO and EWQLSC are 32 bit. last time i tried to use them in win 7 64 bit i couldnt do anything or open any multis. someone told me that i had to have the 64 bit versions of the software so that it would work with the OS. I hope that isnt the case cause that means i wasted a lot of money.

also, my EWQLSO and EWQLSC are 32 bit. last time i tried to use them in win 7 64 bit i couldnt do anything or open any multis. someone told me that i had to have the 64 bit versions of the software so that it would work with the OS. I hope that isnt the case cause that means i wasted a lot of money.

Yeah, I'm using that mfxshell workaround or whatever to get wordbuilder to load.

As for the second part, that hasn't been my experience at all. I don't know why you couldn't load multis, but both of mine are the old 32-bit versions.

You just need to download the 64-bit version of PLAY, assuming you're using the PLAY edition of the library.

Also if you're using PLAY, they just updated Choirs so that the wordbuilder is part of PLAY and not a separate program -- this probably means that FL users no longer need a workaround.

Win7 has been GLOOORIOUS to me. I've had no problems with the 64-bit versions of Sonar 8 Pro, EWQLSO, SD2, and Komplete 6. And this is all on my laptop with a crappy Realtek sound card running ASIO4ALL. I've also hooked up my Presonus Firestudio Project with no problems, recording all 8 inputs simultaneously no prob. If my desktop could handle the increased memory and cpu requirements, it would be Win7 as well!

Edit: That is the PLAY versions of the EastWest instruments.

You just need to download the 64-bit version of PLAY, assuming you're using the PLAY edition of the library.

Also if you're using PLAY, they just updated Choirs so that the wordbuilder is part of PLAY and not a separate program -- this probably means that FL users no longer need a workaround.

im using Kontakt version; :( what does that mean? can i get the PLAY version for free if i have a serial or something? or do i have to re-buy?

Windows 7 runs absolutely fine with FL Studio and PLAY stuff (I ran the PLAY engine with the free samples they gave out on my old laptop running 7 a year ago). I don't know why you would deem it as a waste of time. Might take a bit more power than XP to run, but if you want to keep with the times and get updates and new software (like Pro Tools 9) I suggest installing it. I've had no issues, but then again I've never made an XP to 7 switch (only Vista to 7) so I can't say for sure how rocky it might be.

im using Kontakt version; :( what does that mean? can i get the PLAY version for free if i have a serial or something? or do i have to re-buy?

I wouldn't recommend it, you're lucky enough that you got it in time for Kontakt version. The PLAY engine is awful. I ran a trumpet sample once and it crashed my computer when I played more than 5 notes within 4 seconds. I have Kontakt and can run around 8 simultaneous orchestral instruments (from their VSL Collection, can't say anything about EastWest samples) But yes, if you really do want it, you have to buy it. They have upgrade discounts available.

As far as compatibility, I'm not sure what the deal is with Kontakt and 64 bit. If you wanna use your money and you have a lot of computer power, you can probably deal with PLAY. In that case, go for it.