Connecting guitar

CpKaka

Hi, I have keyboard and an E-Piano which I easily can connect to my computer using a midi->usb adapter and use with e.g.* FL Studio.

Now I've bought an electric guitar as well and was wondering how you plug one of those in so that you can record to the computer.

It works if I put a cord between the phone jack on the amplifier and the microphone input on the pc but it doesn't sound that good.

Sorry if this is stupid :ocrgreen:

You could just use plugins in whatever DAW you use(or, alternatively, use Cantabile if you don't have a DAW and just want to do live performances, and apply effects from there) to do what amps do by themselves. I'm sure there are plenty of amp plugins on KVR audio and other related sites.

• 4 weeks later...

So I bought a Behringer UCG102 and it works great. There's only one thing that bothers me.

When I listen to the song trough the UCG102 it sounds great, but when I switch to my "Primary sound driver" and listens regularly*, everything sounds like crap compared to "Behringer USB Audio".

It's not only the guitar parts, everything sounds muddy and floats together when trough the UCG102 you can hear the instruments clearly. What's wrong? Sorry again for being so noob at this stuff. :tomatoface:

The one on the left is regular and right is UCG102, dunno if this helps but w/e.

Soundwaves.png

So I bought a Behringer UCG102 and it works great. There's only one thing that bothers me.

When I listen to the song trough the UCG102 it sounds great, but when I switch to my "Primary sound driver" and listens regularly*, everything sounds like crap compared to "Behringer USB Audio".

It's not only the guitar parts, everything sounds muddy and floats together when trough the UCG102 you can hear the instruments clearly. What's wrong? Sorry again for being so noob at this stuff. :tomatoface:

The one on the left is regular and right is UCG102, dunno if this helps but w/e.

Soundwaves.png

It has to do with your sound card drivers and crazy stuff like that.

Just use the ASIO driver with the UCG102 for mixing and exporting.

What is the best way to record? Right now I use Edison, is there a better way?

Use the record button next to the stop button. Use CTRL + P to enable countdown before recording, and set to song mode. Play the song and get ready to jam.

After you stop the song, an audio clip will spawn in the playlist. That's your recording.

SIMPLE.

Guitar uses a high impedance signal, which is going to cause problems trying to plug it into anything it's not supposed to plug into (like a sound card). The signal needs to be converted to low impedance before it can be useful.

Your options are getting a direct box, mic'ing an amplifier, or using other hardware like Native-Instruments Guitar Rig (which also includes amazing soft-amps).

As far as soft-amps and effects, I'm sure google can help. Guitar Rig of course is excellent, and there are some other good ones, like Amplitube, but there are some decent free ones too. Certain DAW's like FL Studio come with some soft amps, too.

Guitar uses a high impedance signal, which is going to cause problems trying to plug it into anything it's not supposed to plug into (like a sound card). The signal needs to be converted to low impedance before it can be useful.

Your options are getting a direct box, mic'ing an amplifier, or using other hardware like Native-Instruments Guitar Rig (which also includes amazing soft-amps).

As far as soft-amps and effects, I'm sure google can help. Guitar Rig of course is excellent, and there are some other good ones, like Amplitube, but there are some decent free ones too. Certain DAW's like FL Studio come with some soft amps, too.

And sound cards that support those signals like m-audio fast track series, the line 6 Pod and Ux pod series,RME etc.....

Indeed NI's Guitar Rig is excellent but lets not forget overloud's TH1, and (my fav) Peavy's Revalver mk iii :D

Native Instruments Guitar Rig IS software. Guitar Rig IS the amazing soft amps. The product is the software, not the interface that you can buy for it.

Well at my local Guitar center, there is a ''NI Guitar Rig 4 Kontrol Edition'' which comes with a small foot pedal/interface, ''maybe'' that what he ment.