PS3 Problem

Thalzon

I have a PS3. It's an older one, still has the USB ports, and has a 120gb hard drive installed.

Just today, it unexpectedly shut down twice, and after the second time, when I went to turn it on, a yellow light flashed and it immediately turned itself off. It does this every time now, and I was wondering if it can even be repaired, or what the problem is, exactly.

If it can be repaired, what needs to be done? Thanks in advance.

Typically this means that the GPU has become unsoldered.

Your absolute best bet would be to call sony to ask them to repair it since it's a semi-common problem with older PS3's. Obviously though since you're probably out of warranty there'll be a fee, about $100 iirc.

You might could look into a non-sony repair group if you're not willing to spend that much but I wouldn't guarantee anything.

If you don't know how to fix it by yourself, I must implore you not to try it. DIY fixes have often disastrous results.

If you're very knowledgable with PC hardware repairs then you may be able to fix it your self.

Here's a PS3 YLOD Repair Guide though it helps to do all the research that you can on the subject.

It should be reiterated that

Gollgagh ~ If you don't know how to fix it by yourself, I must implore you not to try it. DIY fixes have often disastrous results.

I'd also like to say that that method is really only a temporary fix and any damage that has already happened to the gpu due to overheating is not going to be fixed by that, something that sony would be able to, so take that into consideration when you decide what you're going to do.

Thing is, I heard Sony just replaces your machine with a refurbished one. If that's the case, I'd rather buy a new one.

I'm not exactly experienced with building PCs, but I checked out a few how-to videos, and it looks doable, though not easy.

If it really is just a temp fix, I suppose I'll just bite the bullet and get a new one. I still gotta crack this one open to get the game stuck inside it, though.

Thanks for the advice, guys.