OCR02253 - *YES* Chrono Trigger 'The Last Schala Mix Ever'

DragonAvenger

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of good things going on here; love the overall soundscape and feel, and everything feels natural. The problem I'm having is that the source doesn't get much time in the spotlight, specifically for the last minute where I'm not hearing it at all (yes, I know it's there for some of it, but wayyyyyy buried). I can't let this one go without some sort of return to the source somewhere in there.

NO (please resubmit)

:00 - :20 intro chords

:21 - 1:26 arpeggio in the guitar, synth melody

1:27 - 2:08 guitar melody

2:09 - 2:29 solo with backing arpeggio

2:30 -ending chord progression with very light washes of arpeggio + solo

219 song length

139 seconds of dominant source

63% by my count of overt source, and the rest ties in decently as well, seems ok to me. :-)

• 4 weeks later...
The problem I'm having is that the source doesn't get much time in the spotlight, specifically for the last minute where I'm not hearing it at all (yes, I know it's there for some of it, but wayyyyyy buried). I can't let this one go without some sort of return to the source somewhere in there.

The backing pattern is there almost the whole time (even when the melody was not), and served a foundation of the track, so I had no problem with this.

The only weak part were the weird twangs at 1:39 and 1:41. The beatwork dragged after a bit, and the scraping-style sound for the beat pattern was grating, so the change at 2:07 was very welcome. Not sure the 8-bit tones from 2:07-2:27 were pleasing to listen to. They seemed to cut through too much, but that may just be me. Some comping, before the Schala backing returned to join it at 2:53. Though I wouldn't mind another pass at the production given what stuck out, the only gripes I had were minor in the big picture. Nice collab here on this laid-back take on a done-to-death source that still makes it feel fresh!

YES

The source was pretty marginalized after 2:29, but with the Schala pattern audible almost the rest of the time, there was no question of what I was listening to a remix of. I liked the approach a lot; we don't have a lot of gentle remixes on this site, and one that combines chiptunes and clean electric guitar is rarer still. The execution was excellent and the song came across smooth as a sunstone.

YES