OCR01288 - Chrono Trigger "Sacratus Bellator"

djpretzel

I am listening to it right now...God damn this is good...I dont know where some of you go and say that this takes off from the theme so far...Speaking from expereince this actually stays pretty close to the one used in game. It does give a bit of a more epic level to it. Gray does this one justice. And i think if they ever decided to redo chrono they would walk up to this guy and pay him a ton...Because IMHO this should of been his theme in game... at least at the end of time. I would of liked to of heard a bit more between 2:09-2:30 but this is a stellar remix.

Well Done Gray.

This is a very nice variations work. It's a little bit more artsy and technical than some people like, and this situation is exacerated due to the fact that he's mixing new styles into the variation... the grand orchestral style used to great effect in modern movies leads us to expect certain things like a grand climax which a "variation" just doesn't require, or indeed, even look for. When we hear a string section with a classical or march drum beat with a soaring melody instrument such as the flute here (can I call this a Jethro flute? seems to borrow some of his style a little bit at times as well) it brings to mind the grand movie epic style... but that's not what this is.

I've found this to be very enjoyable to listen to. The mix of new and old theories work together very well for me. I can see why it's not everyone's cup of tea, but listening to the various canon sections (not canon as gun, canon as "row row row your boat") and the way the harmonies play with the melodies and indeed... the nice samples and production value... it works for me. Nice. Definitely an interesting new take on an old theme.

I can see why it's not everyone's cup of tea, but listening to the various canon sections (not canon as gun, canon as "row row row your boat") and the way the harmonies play with the melodies and indeed... the nice samples and production value... it works for me.

pssst....

the gun variety is spelled "cannon"

What on earth is going on here? People can't express a negative opinion any more? Anyway, it seems that everyone thinks their only complaint is that it's Frog's Theme, but perhaps if they read them over a little more, they'd see that that's just not so. As for their messages being opinionated, that is rumored to be the point.
What did you think? Post your opinion of this ReMix.

I don't mind the remix. It's not anything shocking or revolutionary, but not much is. It's okay to listen to, so I'm listening to it. It just won't become one of my staples.

The majority has positive opinions. That is truth. But you are exaggerating.

I for example, already had my negative opinions: Bomberman 'Bomberfuzz', Bomberman 3 'Bomb Factory', Super Mario Bros. 'frivolous funk', Donkey Kong Country 2 'Brambly Rivers'...

Moreover is important to know that nobody criticizes one remix without intention.

Therefore I find that you must think more...

I don't see what it is you think I'm exaggerating here. Any time someone posted a negative opinion of this track, someone else criticized them, and even criticized their reasoning for not liking the mix. There is nothing there to be exaggerated. I agree that most of the opinions are positive, and never disputed that. As for the last thing you said, I don't actually understand what it means. Not in the sense that I'm stupid, but in the sense that English is not your first language. If you could clarify it, that would be nice. At the moment, it seems like you're suggesting that people who didn't like the mix had ulterior motives. Which I doubt is what you meant.

I really enjoyed this. Admittedly, I could listen to just about anything orchestral that wasn't written intentionally jarring or dissonant and enjoy it to some degree, but whatever. The samples were excellent, especially the choir, which was probably the best sounding I've heard on this site. The only thing that irked me a bit were the 'flares' as DJP called them on flute, just kinda hit me wrong. It was extremely textbook, opening and closing with the basic theme and running through endless variations in between, but textbook in a perfectly executed way you rarely find. Good stuff, a remix of something already very well covered that managed not to hit me in the face with it.

What on earth is going on here? People can't express a negative opinion any more? Anyway, it seems that everyone thinks their only complaint is that it's Frog's Theme, but perhaps if they read them over a little more, they'd see that that's just not so. As for their messages being opinionated, that is rumored to be the point.
What did you think? Post your opinion of this ReMix.

I don't mind the remix. It's not anything shocking or revolutionary, but not much is. It's okay to listen to, so I'm listening to it. It just won't become one of my staples.

The majority has positive opinions. That is truth. But you are exaggerating.

I for example, already had my negative opinions: Bomberman 'Bomberfuzz', Bomberman 3 'Bomb Factory', Super Mario Bros. 'frivolous funk', Donkey Kong Country 2 'Brambly Rivers'...

Moreover is important to know that nobody criticizes one remix without intention.

Therefore I find that you must think more...

I don't see what it is you think I'm exaggerating here. Any time someone posted a negative opinion of this track, someone else criticized them, and even criticized their reasoning for not liking the mix. There is nothing there to be exaggerated. I agree that most of the opinions are positive, and never disputed that. As for the last thing you said, I don't actually understand what it means. Not in the sense that I'm stupid, but in the sense that English is not your first language. If you could clarify it, that would be nice. At the moment, it seems like you're suggesting that people who didn't like the mix had ulterior motives. Which I doubt is what you meant.

No, Man! I did not criticize you. Your opinion can be negative or positive in a remix. I only cited some examples for you. Examples you to think: here people exist who can express negative opinions in one remix.

I said that you exaggerated because wrote "What on earth is going on here? People can't express a negative opinion any more?"

Yes! The English is not my first language. But I understand what you says. And my English is equally understandable. The English/Australian is different. Distinct of the American or the British. This does not make difference for me.

This is bad for you?

Bah. I don´t worried. The discussion finished for me.

for some reason the main theme of "The Last Starfighter" popped into my head for this remix. the end of it specifically. strange.

anywhos, this remix in my opinion was mildly decent. a little too laid back for my tastes though. i like how the all generally changes and such, but.... it just seems to be a buildup without payoff. a half buildup even. something doesn't sit right with me. definitely not my favorite mix by GrayLightning.

c'est la vie

~poof~

Salut Gray! Looks like you're getting a bit of criticism on this piece, eh? well you know I'm a fan of you, and I would like to give you feedback on this one (Frog's theme's also one of my faves), but you see my headphones just broke today, and I didnt bring my speakers here because I thought my headphones were working... anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll have a new headset or a pair of headphones for tomorrow, so I'll be returning to give you feedback ^_^

until then, salami to all of you! (I need sleep) XD

I expected this to be somewhat controversial considering the changes in structure, form and rhythm in the piece. It may take several listens before the melody sinks in, I personally had no problem hearing the source material.

This might not be for everyone, but I'm quite happy how this turned out. Certainly not my best mix, but that wasn't a goal of mine anyway. It was a fun, unique and educational arrangement experience for me.

Thanks for the comments.

Wow, I can't believe I didn't see this sooner, but it's been a while since I've visited OCR.

I recently lost all of my music, and in my effort to recover it all, I visited OCR to get the torrent files, and I see this on the front page (not that I was surprised in the least that this song made it on). I was especially disappointed that I lost a lot of Gray's WIPs that I've had on my computer for years... I was especially glad to see that this was up, however. This is one of the songs I really enjoyed (though I do enjoy all of his remixes).

This song is great, and although it carries a different feel than the original Frog theme, the point of remixing is to interpret stuff in a new way. This is what GrayLightning has done, and I must say he's done it quite well.

I feel quite fortunate that I was able to host this on my website for him during the WIP stage of this song.

I feel that this song is epic enough. Sure, it might not have the brass blaring out, but it is quite epic in its own right. I personally enjoy the tempo changes, and instrument choices quite a bit. I think that this mix is definitely awesome, although it may not be his best, it is still undoubtedly good.

Someone spoke about how there is no climax in this piece... I personally feel that it has a climax, and although it may not be what you're expecting initially, you should take several more listens to hear it the way it was meant to be heard. Listen to everything. This song is wonderful, and just because it surprises you because you didn't expect something to happen the way it did doesn't mean it's a bad song. I will tell you, the first few times I listened to this song, it did feel like it kept building and never really did anything but build. But after a few listens, knowing what happens in the song, you can hear the building, the climaxes, the beauty of everything harmonizing and shifting.

Excellent work GrayLightning, sorry for being so late with a review, but you never did IM me about this one. ;)

Edit: Oh yeah, you're getting better at the sig making, Gray! ;)

Gray, you always have a place in my Sunday morning playlist.

Life is very special because just a few moments. By now, the flute screaming open my eyes to a new future.

I was wandering about a team up with Zircon, it will be cool, huh?

How much cost the choral that sings the melodies for you?

Gray really makes me think about music.

Me too.

I personally had no problem hearing the source material.

This is why I want to borrow your ears, just for a couple days, you know.

I was wandering about a team up with Zircon, it will be cool, huh?

Thanks Jagunço, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I have never had more interesting feedback either way with a mix than with this. So I guess that's a good thing. ^_^

Zircon and I have been discussing a team up/collaboration on a mix soon. I hope we can do it sometime in the next few months. I also have several exciting collaborations with other OCR mixers this year. Stay tuned. :)

So I guess that's a good thing. ^_^

It's the "only" hours of my week that I can sit and watch things carrefully, tasting every moment and trying to see things that passed by my lightspeed week.

It's 9am here and I'm listen you right now.

By the way, the flute is saying something important. It is saying that it wants to go to a new place, a place that it never was before. I can't figure out where it want to go, but since you have better ears than mine, you problably already listen.

My kudos Gray.

All in all, I don't think it's entirely fair to judge this one as harshly as many have. When you take this much liberty with such a popular song, there are only two schools of thought: those who praise its originality and those who frown upon its unorthodoxy.

The mix is very well done and has obviously had a good deal of thought put into it. The sampling is very clear and the arrangement is great.

Personally, I belong to the school that was looking forward to another Frog Remix, and was a bit disappointed at this mix. However, that does not mean I don't like it. I thought it was very well done and I praise it very wholeheartedly, but it is not my particular cup of tea.

GrayLightning gets my thumbs up for his creativity and execution. Well done man.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like this song because it gives a different feel to the song. It gave it a more sad feeling. and makes you think of Frog's origins. The remix touched on both the heroic knight that Frog is and also the amount of tragedy he has seen in his life like the death of Cyrus his friend and mentor, his own transformation and the descending of his beloved Guardia into war with Magus. I may be overanalyzing but I don't care I love the song.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is AMAZING stuff. I'm not familiar with the original, so I can't speak from that respect (it's 'remix' status), but on it's own, this is a very enjoyable piece. Very emotive, inspiring, and original. I <3 the rhythm work here, with the triplets in the opening and everything--very unique and frickin' awesome.

As for the 'climax' (or lack of one, as people have complained), I feel like this song is more of an adventure, with all the variations bringing a new experience to the table, and if any section was outright blaring and in your face, it would dominate the other sections. Rather I like the rise and fall between the section--keeps it spicy.

I've had this on repeat for about a half an hour now, and it's only getting better. This is actually the first GrayLightning song I've really listened to, and I'm thoroughly impressed. I'm gonna have to go listen to all of them now.

GL, you have a new fan!

Overall a good remix, but for the first half of the song it sounded like the remixer was forcefully keeping the song at a boring march-type tempo. Little to no variance till the end, and then still the whole song still suffered a little from this mechanical tempo, which really conflicted the natural theme.

But I'm just making myself clear about one small little problem. I'm being picky.

[Edit: I posted that without reading other reviews, then went back to read the ones that were similar to mine. noticing that so many people agreed that it's melody suffered, i went back and checked out some of his other music...

I’ll just say this... it sounds like he takes the song, and normalizes the entire thing to a 4/4 march and then makes up for this weird fetish by having great samples, smooth transitions, and all that other jazz. Almost all of his peices suffer from this, but for some it works, but not this one.

I'm not saying it's bad, but i just can't stand Grey's taste for rhythm. It's still a decent song, overall]

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01288 - Chrono Trigger "Sacratus Bellator"