OCR02167 - Mega Man 9 "Blown Mind Bolero"

djpretzel

1. AlteredBeats, omfg I love this name, haha..

2. Prog metal, WELCOME TO THE SITE SIR, I hope we may be good friends :-)

3. First sub? Congratulations, dude! I see so many first timers get the all-NO treatment! Cause I check the judge's panel way more often than what is healthy. :3

4. Mix is great, man! Good clarity, great performances, and even some synths thrown in that could please the home crowd. You say the instrumentation is inspired by Dream Theater, I only hope that they take some chances and make something this interesting with their new album without Portnoy. :-)

Very ambitious arrangment ideas with alreet production skills. Great source, nice synth solo, and some nice playing. I think the production is slightly weak - leads get lost in the mix, and I find the "chorus section" of the source very underwhelming in this mix. Imo, room for improvement, but judging from this mix, you'll rise to the challenge :)

In other words. MOAR PLZ.

Usually I don't like Metal. Like, at all. Too much noise. But damn this was hella good. Perhaps there is hope for my taste in music. The piano was a nice touch.

wow that was terribly written MAKE MORE please i would very much appreciate that

edit: i was sitting on youtube, waiting for the state of the union to start, bored out of my mind. i decided to listen to this in the mean time, and once the song started obama walked out and it was amazing

just thought you should know

I think I would have liked to get to the solo a bit sooner -- it's easy for such a well-known theme to feel repetitive, and this comes dangerously close.

That being said, the mix is so full of energy and fun that it's hard to dislike having a little more of it. My other critique is that I wish you had brought out some of the supporting melodic material a little more -- it gets buried under the lead during the section starting at 1:31.

Nice mix overall -- let's hear some more soon, please!

Usually I don't like Metal. Like, at all. Too much noise. But damn this was hella good.

Seconded, wholeheartedly. There's so much energy in this that it's hard not to tap your toes or fingers or something along with it. Also, the combined parts didn't overwhelm me in the slightest with a wall of sound, which is usually my complaint with metal of any kind. Great work, look forward to your next mixpost!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Would it be wrong of me to say that this almost sounds like an MMX version of the MM9 tune here? Cause the metal and energy really makes me think of that, and it's awesome. The use of the guitar for the melody while the underlying guitar beat gives it that added intensity was really cool. Yes, this could blow minds.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02167 - Mega Man 9 "Blown Mind Bolero"