OCR00438 - Street Fighter II "Freestyle Dojo"

Ginnsu

Street Fighter II 'Freestyle Dojo'

Leave it to McVaffe to take any conglomeration of instruments and make them work together to produce a sound as vibrant as this one is. I've said before that I love pieces that have a sound grabbed from foreign cultures (especially Asian,) and while this cultural sound is less evident in this one then in others, it still grabs me and makes me long for more. And how about that 303, or whatever it is. I just can’t get enough of that sound. McVaffe, keep doing whatever it is you’re doing, because it’s working excellent, as usual.

• 3 months later...

This has to be one of the more unique ReMixes on the site in terms of instrument choice. All kinds of peculiar asian- or electronic-sounding instruments. It all blends very well. McVaffe also makes use of a shmorgasborg of samples from SF2 (dig that crazy sample grooving at 2:01). Not McVaffe's absolute best, but very close to it, and more than good enough to fit on your playlist. Get it.

• 1 month later...

This is a truly awesome remix. Every once and a while I hear a remix that could effectively replace the original song in all aspects, and I believe McVaffe has done this. If Street Fighter 2 were made today, I hope they would consider using this for their Ryu Theme music. It works that well.

Anyone who remembers playing in Ryu's Dojo in Street Fighter 2 can understand what I mean when I say that.

McVaffe outdid himself on this one I think...

• 4 months later...

well 10 months after my initial listen I wrote a note to myself on a dollar. I had to come back and leave gratz.

When comparing remixes like this, using soundbytes from the game and excellent remixing ability, this mix is simply Freestyle dojo. A standalone remix that becomes an institution.

"Oh did you like that ___ sf2 mix? I mean its no FSD but..."

I'd like to wish Mike luck with whatever he's working on, I know he's easing off the mix for awhile, he will be missed.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Good stuff. This could truly replace the original music and fit perfectly. My only qualm is the samples from the game which start around 2:00, which seem kinda lame compared to the tight rythmns and the main melody played on a... saz? Sitar? Something like that. No biggy, since that's my own opinion I just opened it up and edited that part out, did a crossfade to smooth things out. Accidentally left in the very last hurricane kick, but it's real quiet and works out as a nice subtle bit.

• 5 months later...

I absolutely love this piece. I'm a martial artist myself, and I've actually worked this piece into my private training playlist (The first VG remix there). The traditional Japanese sound at the beginning is awesome and segues well into the rest of it. I have one lone complaint: the Ryu voice samples, while very good, felt just a tad out of place. But overall, a solid piece. Well done.

Definitely an awesome remix, and a great example of McVaffe's arrangement and production talent. The use of in-game samples to the assortment of other synths and instruments is top-notch, as always, and the arrangement not only builds upon the original, but adds to it. There's not much to say here besides the fact that McV and this track both rule.

• 3 months later...

i like this song a lot.

takes a nice slow beginning (very nice oriental instrumentals too) and works it with an awesome bass line and synth/techno. adding voice samples with echoes and

stays true enough to the original. the thing i hate most about remixing music is bastardizing the original notes, aka changing or warping some parts but not others. none of that here! (yay!)

overall, a 9.5 or so. very good song. keep up the good work, man.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This remix is really good. It starts off nice and quiet, and right after that it streams fluently into the rocking piece that it now is. For most songs there's a few things i'd like to see some things improved, but this one is perfect just the way it is. I really like the voice samples too, but I can imagine people not liking it.

• 6 months later...

The intro is nice, it gives you the Japan feel of Ryu. Then 0:19 and some nice beats enter the scene. The music melody continues through the song. Suprised this did not make BotA album, but i digress. The actual sound clips used throughout were a nice touch. This is why McVaffe is one of the top remixes on the site, nice song man.

• 1 year later...

Awesome instrument combinations, great clav and synth counterpoint, and a overall killer beat. Excellent progression and flow, and good production as well. The hadoken sample itself is a little rough and should have been eqed slightly, but the concept is cool. And to top it all off, this was released 7 years ago.

An amazing, timeless remix.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00438 - Street Fighter II "Freestyle Dojo"
  • 7 years later...

Good interpretation of Ryu's stage, giving it a bit more japanese flair than it originally had, like a nice brush over. Nothing crazy but strong and focused, which is cool. Nice sfx usage as well. The fade out could have faded a little longer, but that's just me. Pretty good mix.