Stop Saying "Sounds Like A MIDI"

Mustin

Sound chip? :-o

I don't think I've ever actually made it to the end in the PC version to know for sure how it plays there. I know that the progress I did make in the game, all the music was played with Microsoft GS Wavetable generic thing. So it sound like a... err.... .... afk

I was referring to the Play Station, not the PC.

Mustin:

1.) If hes saying OWA was not a sequenced track, he is wrong. Proof is in the PSF.

2.) Correct. PSG, FM, or PCM. MIDI generally has never been used to directly play music from consoles. Sometimes they may use MIDI to create the songs, and then use a sound engine /sample bank to play them back, but the sound engine is the middleware. The console has no idea what MIDI is

3.) Correct.

Gman: I'm arguing on the internet. This is important. And you are off topic.

1.) If hes saying OWA was not a sequenced track, he is wrong. Proof is in the PSF.

My point was about the choir specifically. Yes, I understand that it was broken into smaller chunks. But surely you agree there is a LARGE difference between, say:

* A set of samples consisting of consonants, pitched vowels and loop points that can be strung together to create words, chords and phrases at any tempo and in any key

and

* A entire choral piece recorded once and then simply sliced up into smaller chunks

To say that the first thing is equivalent to the second is VERY misleading. If I say "I used a sampled choir in my track", the implication that basically any music maker would take away from that is that I used something like the first option: a sample library consisting of tons of vowels, consonants and pitches, painstakingly sequenced into a (nonetheless unrealistic) performance. They would NOT assume that I recorded a full choir singing an entire piece and then chopped it up.

So that's why I'm saying it's more accurate to say the choir was "prerecorded" and not sequenced. When you say "sequenced", it implies that multisampled single notes and articulations were used to construct the phrase, not that a piece was chopped into smaller phrases and played back in order.

*A set of samples consisting of consonants, pitched vowels and loop points that can be strung together to create words, chords and phrases at any tempo and in any key

and

* A entire choral piece recorded once and then simply sliced up into smaller chunks

Well, it really does the former, not the later. Its a sequenced track. Its not any different than voice clips in a MOD/IT/XM/etc. They could play those choir clips at different pitches if they wanted to, but why? And all the other instruments samples ARE playing at different pitches. ONLY the choir samples stays at the same pitch (and I could be wrong about that, they could be playing at different pitches). OWA is more than just a choir, its got other instruments playing too. My point is its being played via realtime PCM channels, its not streaming in any fashion. Its clever programming.

Besides, in PCM, all instruments are "prerecorded". We're not talking about PSG or FM here.

Right but effectively it's being played back in the order it was recorded, at the same tempo, and at the same pitches. They didn't use a "sampled choir" per se, they took a choral piece and sliced it up. That's an important distinction and one I just wanted to make clear here. I don't think we're disagreeing on the technical aspect of things at least. The entire FF7 soundtrack, OWA included, is not based around entire recorded pieces sliced up and triggered, but very short individual samples/synthesized sounds assembled into full songs. That song is the one exception and shouldn't be lumped in.

Well I can kinda see your point, but only to the choir samples/"instrument". The other instruments used in OWA are business as usual. All samples and playing at different pitches. So its not like the entire track is a sample playing in a specific order

But we can both agree its definitely a sequenced track and not streamed/redbook/xa/etc.

Its an interesting piece in more than one way

We can pretend we don't know what they're trying to say, but let's be honest: We do.

Most of the time, yes. But even if we understand what they're trying to say, it does not mean there's no merit in trying to educate people on what MIDI actually is. Many may not care, true, but some people are happy to be elucidated. English grammar and spelling are not always intuitive - just because we can understand someone's poor spelling/grammar doesn't mean we can't expect better of them, even if they are making predictable mistakes.

default MIDI playback, which most users will never stray from, has sounded quite similar for over ten years, probably more like twenty.

10 years is more likely. In 1991 most people I knew didn't even have a soundcard and for the few years thereafter only OPL3 and the like FM sound quality was available. First soundcard with a wavetable I owned was a Gravis Ultrasound in 1994 (which sounded very little like the Microsoft or QuickTime GM synths)

cheers.

Well I can kinda see your point, but only to the choir samples/"instrument". The other instruments used in OWA are business as usual. All samples and playing at different pitches. So its not like the entire track is a sample playing in a specific order

I'm pretty sure Zircon was only ever talking about the choir.

But he made it kinda sound like it was a seperate track from the rest when its just samples like the rest of the instruments. That's all im trying to say. They for sure aren't being streamed in any fashion. And its not an entire recording just small clips repeated at different sections, cleverly arranged to sound like a full song sung by a choir

Just to be clear.

Most of the time, yes. But even if we understand what they're trying to say, it does not mean there's no merit in trying to educate people on what MIDI actually is. Many may not care, true, but some people are happy to be elucidated. English grammar and spelling are not always intuitive - just because we can understand someone's poor spelling/grammar doesn't mean we can't expect better of them, even if they are making predictable mistakes.

10 years is more likely. In 1991 most people I knew didn't even have a soundcard and for the few years thereafter only OPL3 and the like FM sound quality was available. First soundcard with a wavetable I owned was a Gravis Ultrasound in 1994 (which sounded very little like the Microsoft or QuickTime GM synths)

cheers.

We'll split the difference and settle on 15? Even at 10, that's eons in technology, specifically music technology, and it seems the situation is likely to persist. I'm all for educating people, and if they're saying "Sounds like a MIDI" because they truly have no clue why that statement could be misconstrued/inaccurate, go for it. There's ALWAYS merit in trying to educate people, or almost always. For example, to be just a little catty, you don't elucidate someone. You elucidate something TO someone. So in this instance they'd be happy to have the topic elucidated for them, but not to be elucidated themselves. Hopefully this was elucidating :-)

I had an Ensoniq back in the day. Great American company with a strangely French-sounding name. I don't think we should stop trying to educate people, but I also don't think the statement "Sounds like a MIDI" is particularly bad/wrong/problematic, because - while there might be a misunderstanding - there's no real miscommunication.

You can piss into the wind all you want to, but majority implementation of MIDI playback is really rather consistent, and it's exactly what people are referring to when they say something "Sounds like a MIDI". We can pretend we don't know what they're trying to say, but let's be honest: We do. We know that they're saying it the "wrong" way, but in this case the "wrong" way is also by FAR the most intuitive way.

Can we just use this explanation, and just let the shit go? Did we seriously HAVE to make a thread about it?

My first language is tagaloq! Seriously, my English is so often wince-worthy, you'd think it was my second language. So I am always happy to be corrected, thanks.

Anyways, I don't see the "sounds like MIDI" comments much anymore and I do think they will eventually fade away due to deprecation rather than education, as I mentioned before. Unless high-quality MIDI file playback is the next killer feature in iPods or something....

cheers.