So I'm moving to Norway...

AkumajoBelmont

Yup. In a couple of years, I plan on totally relocating to the complete and utter opposite end of the globe. SCARY :D

The reason I'm bringing this up here, is because I would really like to get in touch with any of you who live there. I plan on moving to Oslo, so it would be awesome to stay in communications with someone who could tell me what it's like there, customs, all those kinds of things. I've done a LOT of research in the last few days (pretty much non-stop), but nothing beats a human to talk to about it. I've even just started a 'Teach Yourself Norwegian' CD course thingy, and I plan on taking lessons too. This will help in giving me the best chance of finding work when I do eventually get there, as well as allowing me a broader range of courses to study- I'm kinda hoping to be able to go the Norwegian Acadamy of Music. I'd really like to stay in touch until my eventual move. I have no friends or family there; no support network at all, and any avenues I can take that will make the move that much easier, such as just even one acquaintance, I would appreciate very much.

The reason I am dead-set on this move, is that I want a complete fresh start for myself, and I feel that if anywhere in the world my music could even be successful and/or noticed, it'd be in Scandinavia.

So any of you out there who could help me out with this, I'll be eternally grateful for the help :D :D :D

Awesome! Lotsa great responses... I'll definitely hit ya'll up!!!

I picked Norway pretty much because all my major musical influences hail from there, and I find I hear a lot of it in my own stuff I'm doing now. I figure if I can make it any place, then Norway is the go. It's good that Sweden is so close too though... I'm in Australia, so I'm used to traveling hundreds upon hundreds of kilometers to visit people. My uncle lives over 700km away from me at the moment, so it's not unusual for us to hop in a car and take off.

That and the fact that I've always felt something for the country... dunno what it is in me, but it's there :D

Nice choice of country! I'm currently in Bergen, and do a lot of work in Norway. Just today I walked up a ridiculously steep granite hill/mountain overlooking the city. As I was walking up, the light rain turned to snow, and the deciduous forest turned into thick pine. The air was so still, the flakes were falling straight down and all I could hear was the faint babbling of a stream. Beautiful place.

One thing I will say though is it's extremely expensive - think 3-4 times what you're used to paying for anything. For example, a pint of beer in the UK will set you back usually about £3. In Norway it's more like 90-110 Kroner (£9-11). If you plan to go there without a job in advance it might be pretty hard on the bank account.

Nice choice of country! I'm currently in Bergen, and do a lot of work in Norway. Just today I walked up a ridiculously steep granite hill/mountain overlooking the city. As I was walking up, the light rain turned to snow, and the deciduous forest turned into thick pine. The air was so still, the flakes were falling straight down and all I could hear was the faint babbling of a stream. Beautiful place.

One thing I will say though is it's extremely expensive - think 3-4 times what you're used to paying for anything. For example, a pint of beer in the UK will set you back usually about £3. In Norway it's more like 90-110 Kroner (£9-11). If you plan to go there without a job in advance it might be pretty hard on the bank account.

Yeah, I've done a lot of price comparison with living in Sydney... Olso especially, is not too much higher than Sydney. I realize alcohol is quite dear, but I don't mind. That's why I've given myself a 2 year deadline... to save as much money as I can!!! I'll need it haha

I'd also suggest looking for something outside Oslo though. Apartments in Oslo cost way more than they're worth, and the standards aren't always up to par.

If you're the type who likes to go to pubs and/or nightclubs, the alcohol prices are as mentioned insane. In addition, I feel there's more agression latent in Norwegians than other nationalities, which really comes to show when there's alcohol involved. Could just be my impression though.

I'd also suggest looking for something outside Oslo though. Apartments in Oslo cost way more than they're worth, and the standards aren't always up to par.

If you're the type who likes to go to pubs and/or nightclubs, the alcohol prices are as mentioned insane. In addition, I feel there's more agression latent in Norwegians than other nationalities, which really comes to show when there's alcohol involved. Could just be my impression though.

I'm definitely gonna check out other places, but anywhere near Oslo is fair game for me...

and with the alcohol thing... you haven't been to an Australian pub... wow. Especially out here just west of Sydney where I am. Australians are probably the most disgusting when drunk. Grog is cheap, prevalent, and a vast majority can't seem to function at a social gathering without it.

I used to be a big night-clubber when I was younger, but I think I'm way past that point in my life haha, so the alcohol won't be an issue for me.

I've still got a lot of research to do, and a fair bit of time to do it :D

Thanks for the advice!!! :D

With the alcohol thing... you haven't been to an Australian pub... wow. Especially out here just west of Sydney where I am. Australians are probably the most disgusting when drunk. Grog is cheap, prevalent, and a vast majority can't seem to function at a social gathering without it.

Too right, mate. Melbourne's CBD is just as bad because of all the violence and drunken punch-ons as well. Not that I'd know.

Anyways, congratulations to you on deciding to move to Norway AJB, and best of luck to you in getting yourself over there.

And he can finally get his own
there. Yay :smile:

If that's an Ashens link, I'm applauding you immensely (can't check it right now though).

Horray for you, Robbie, going someplace that might be relatively closer to where some others of us live and going to live your dreams. Please start a club revival of Richard Jacques tunes when you get there.

You sure you're able to move there? I've looked at moving to Sweden (why Norway? Why Sweden? They look like amazing places and have you SEEN the women?! Yowza!). But from what I understand, Sweden only allows for like 30-something families to immigrate per year.

I support you 100% but I don't want you to show up and not be able to get in. I'm sure you're doing your research but just make to double-check those t's to make sure they're crossed and dot all those- ...lower-case "J's"...

You sure you're able to move there? I've looked at moving to Sweden (why Norway? Why Sweden? They look like amazing places and have you SEEN the women?! Yowza!). But from what I understand, Sweden only allows for like 30-something families to immigrate per year.

I support you 100% but I don't want you to show up and not be able to get in. I'm sure you're doing your research but just make to double-check those t's to make sure they're crossed and dot all those- ...lower-case "J's"...

I know what you mean man :D Thing is, I'm moving on my own... as far as I can gather, Norway is pretty decent when it comes to immigration... it's the asylum seekers etc that are causing quite the stir over there at the moment. It's the same here in Australia at this point in time.

I plan on contacting the embassy here to make sure I've got all my info right; I want to know exactly what it'll take for me to be allowed to move.

Yeah, it's a complicated process, but I've got my heart and mind completely set on it. I'll do whatever I have to.

Besides, I'm a nice guy.. who could say no? Haha :D