Dragon Quest VI Arrives Too Late For Gaming Grandmother

Brandon Strader

There was a similar story on the opposite end of the spectrum back in 2009. (http://www2.ocregister.com/articles/pixar-up-movie-2468059-home-show)

A little girl dying of cancer had one last wish: she wanted to see Up!. So after someone called Pixar and managed to get through to somebody, they actually flew a staff member out to her house with a DVD of the movie (then only in theaters), and the girl got to enjoy the movie in her home. She died a few hours later.

It would have been cool if someone in this grandmother's family contacted Square-Enix and got a review copy of the game for her to play. Of course, it's kind of a long game so she might not have finished it, but after all those years of waiting, it'd have been nice for her to be able to play it just once.

I will say this was indeed a sad story.. but as someone mentioned in the comments which I agree with whole heartedly is it is a reminder of our mortality and that those of us alive should enjoy is time. We'll always have something we look forward to, but eventually as time wears on we too shall have something we're looking forward to that we'll never get to see. Sad story, but a strong reminder to enjoy what time we have. Truly sad.

Are you kidding, she was in her 90s I doubt she could use a computer

I'm afraid I must disagree, as I know a handful of people who are close to their 90s and know exactly what emulation is, what is does, how it works and how to use it.

Old people are not bad at computers at all once they put down their fear of technology - that's the biggest issue in most cases.

On the topic: A sad story indeed. RIP gaming-granny, may your gaming spirit spread over the world even in death, as video games is what binds us together as one.

-luhny

RIP gaming-granny, may your gaming spirit spread over the world even in death, as video games is what binds us together as one.

-luhny

Couldn't agree more.

If there is an afterlife of sorts, I hope she gets to learn she is now a quasi-internet celebrity now.