ORC 138 Extra Edition

Doulifée

- The Original Remixing Competition -

orcyn7.png

Welcome to ORC138.

Source Material

Last month people were too busy drinking at magfest to send something to ORC, so february is an extra edition. So we end up with 2 MIDI, you can remix one of them or both.

Thanks to Gario for helping me keeping ocr running btw. :nicework:

Gario - Acacia Street - MIDI

Gario - Panther on the prowl - MIDI

Good luck everyone.

Deadline

20th February Midnight US East Coast

ORC

The contest is a monthly contest so the deadline is programmed to be the 3rd sunday of the month. Voting stage will follow till the 4th sunday of the month. Next context will start again the first of the next month.

The Quick Rules Rundown

Step 1 -Submission:-

1. Anyone can enter regardless of your remixing ability.

2. Filesize is limited to 8 meg.

3. You may only enter one piece. but can collab on a second one.

4. When you've finished your entry, post it in the compo tha sauce system. HERE.

5. You may submit your piece as a MIDI, MP3 or OGG file.

Step 2 -Vote:-

Voting will be done via Thasauce. Voting stage will last 1 week from the 20th to the 27th Midnight .

Important:Don't vote for yourself (and in a case of a 1vs1 don't vote at all)

About the comment:

You are now allowed to comment anytime EXCEPT during the voting stage..

that mean that once a mix is posted, you can feedback it, until the submission process is over. Remixer are able to fix/enhance it until the deadline. The date in the PM/Email will be used to upload the most recent one.

About a draw in the result:

It happen sometime. Both remixer are still officially Winner, but i'll ask the remixer with the less "Win" to send me his song.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping because it fell off the front page.

Hey peeps, I understand that you all can be busy and such, and that there are quite a few projects and such to keep you busy, but unless you want to see this unique compo disappear for a good while then you best participate! A bad month is not all that big a deal, but three months straight of no entries (and two months beforehand of single entry compos) is simply asinine. I don't know if this compo can survive another month like that. :|

This is a unique opportunity to have your own music remixed by other people in this community, and it'd be a shame to see this compo die off like this. I've seen artists like Willrock and Protodome get their start here, and others like JerryTerry and... well, myself, that have gotten better and better with every entry here, so that goes to show that this compo can do you some good, if you're willing to participate.

Seriously, though, give this compo some love. You don't know what you're missing, here. We've got a week to do something for this - I'd be all over this right now if I could be, but I can't since it's my source(s) that are up.

Let's bring this one back from the brink! Go go go!!

This is a unique opportunity to have your own music remixed by other people in this community, and it'd be a shame to see this compo die off like this. I've seen artists like Willrock and Protodome get their start here, and others like JerryTerry and... well, myself, that have gotten better and better with every entry here, so that goes to show that this compo can do you some good, if you're willing to participate.

Nice speech, completely true. I've actually improved quite a bit thanks to the ORC. It's a great chance to get critiqued, and to better yourself. Also to get better at composition (Nothing quite gets my creative juices flowing like having a short deadline and knowing that the competition depends on getting your source in on time).

I would have loved to get something in for this, though right now it seems less and less possible. I'm bogged down with crap, have no time, and currently only have these crappy scavenged phone headphones to work with. I really hope someone manages to get something in, or for someone new to give ORC a try. ORC was my first music competition, and my first real online forum interaction. I'd hate to see it die.

yeah, i was around when prc was launched and same with orc, that's why i'd like to keep those two competition alive as long as possible. Like gario i saw a lot of people starting here, polishing their skill and for some having some remixes posted on ocr frontpage.

so even if you can't make something just talk about it around, it's always cool to see new face (and sound) and keeping the friendly competition alive.

JerryTerry, I feel your pain. I'm currently a second-year CS student. To make matters worse, I have this crazy delusion (starting last month) that I can participate in Ludum Dare each month as well.

BUT. Looking at my current classes and everything else in my life right now, I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to magically get some extra time at some point. Therefore, I am making a excessively late New Year's resolution to make time for hobby game programming and music stuff at least once a week.

Back in December, I think, I had the crazy delusion of attempting to participate in a JHCompo. Even though I was finishing up an assignment at the time and I was only able to listen instead of contribute, I am still very interested in creating music, regardless of my current abilities (or rather lack thereof).

Regardless of what assignments I have to work on, I WILL schedule things accordingly to get good grades, take care of whatever life stuff needs to be taken care of, and spend a bit of time on music. I will have something submitted for ORC 138, regardless of the fact that I am pretty much a complete beginner at music.:tomatoface:

(In the entirely likely event that I am the only one to submit anything, I'll punt the original submission to someone else.)

Regardless of what assignments I have to work on, I WILL schedule things accordingly to get good grades.

Oh god, I need to do this. I've just started my first year of sixth-form, and the shit has very much hit the fan. Last year I just cruised through my GCSE's, not studying, spending all my time on gaming and side projects; I got straight A's. I thought I could stick to that mentality through my A-levels, but I was very much WRONG.

I will have something submitted for ORC 138, regardless of the fact that I am pretty much a complete beginner at music.

YAY. Glad to see that the ORC won't be dying just yet. Though it certainly doesn't matter if you're a beginner. I was a complete beginner when I started in ORC, but gradually got better. (Though oddly, with PRC, it seems I gradually got worse. See here. Oh the humanity.)

(In the entirely likely event that I am the only one to submit anything, I'll punt the original submission to someone else.)

If nobody else offers, you can delegate the source-making to me. I don't generally have much time, but the music department has midi software so it'd be easy enough for me to compose something during my study periods (Albeit instead of studying).

Two days! Great to see Chronix on board with it, but it'd be even better to see someone else join on the fun, here. Let's end this compo with a competition at the end with two or more participants!

w00t for misspelling my name! xD

I've got the very, very rough structure of the song figured out, but I think I've spent a bit too much time on the drums. Time to copy and paste...

Once again, we've got two days! Here's hopin' Chroxic (got it spelled right, this time) pulls through with an awesome track, and Geeky Stoner seems to have something coming along, too, so I think we can look forward to a voting period, this time!

Man, I haven't done that in ages (especially since I forgot to, last time I could, lol).

I'm still sticking with my 6/4 dnb idea, but I'm making slow progress. Aside from the given time issue of being a CS student, I'm very new to FL Studio (I bought it back in December during the discount). I'm still attempting to get some semblance of a logical workflow going for manipulating MIDI like this.

Right now, the only thing I can guarantee 100% is an interesting beat. :tomatoface:

Alright, uploaded. Now we're just waiting on Chroxic's promising-sounding entry :mrgreen:

Heheheh. xD

My source of choice was Acacia Streets. I knew a few days ago that I probably wouldn't get it done, but I didn't think I would forget to submit my "song" altogether. I realized I had forgot about the compo at about midnight MST last night, so I decided to upload it once I woke up. Morning has rolled around (a bit too quickly), so this is what I managed to come up with: a 41 second drum "loop" based off of neblix's processed dnb kit. It isn't so much a loop as it is a few different drum patterns thrown together, but it seemed like an ok start.

I did manage to get a cool 6/4 DNBish beat going, though. :mrgreen: Next month, I should be able to come up with something a bit more complete.