OCR02294 - *YES* Boktai 'The Darkness Fears Light, and We Fear the Darkness'

OceansAndrew

ReMixer Name/Real Name: Peter M. Crockett

ID: 16181 (user name Moseph)

Game: Boktai: The Sun Is in Your Hand (Konami, Game Boy Advance, 2003)

Track: Dark Boy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CrnopaeUqs)

Norihiko Hibino, Kazuki Muraoka, Masashi Watanabe, and Shuichi Kobori are all credited for the game's sound, although according to a Square Enix Music Online interview, Hibino wrote almost all of the music(http://www.squareenixmusic.com/features/interviews/norihikohibino.shtml).

ReMix Title: The Darkness Fears Light, and We Fear the Darkness

----------------

I originally put this together as part of the 2010 Freshly Baked ReMixer Challenge -- thanks, Rama and Starla -- and I decided to sub it to OCR after making some minor changes (mostly relating to production). The source was chosen by Mirby and randomly assigned to me. I'd never heard of the Boktai games before starting the project, but I liked the source a lot, and it lent itself well to the style that I'd been hoping to use even before I knew what FBRC track had been assigned to me.

The source use is mostly straightforward with the exception of the introduction (0:00-0:18) and some original development of themes from the source (0:54-1:12, 2:52-3:32). In retrospect, I'm a little bit sad to have jettisoned all of the very lovely secondary contrapuntal melodies from the source, but I felt that the main melodies gave me plenty to work with, and trying to shoehorn the original counterpoint into the arrangement wouldn't have complemented the direction I wanted to go.

If this passes, mention in the write-up that I and forum user Moseph are one and the same, please. I've been hanging around the forums for several years as a faceless internet person but want to use my real name for ReMixing purposes.

--Peter M. Crockett

Completely sick work here, I wish you'd make more music and submit it. :o

The sequencing is very solid, and the arrangement is packed with exciting moment,s more subdued passages, and the dynamics are very nicely done.

The source is very personalized, and though there is quite a bit of original material, the core of the mix is there, and I am comfortable with the source use.

Really nice stuff, I hope the other judges feel the same way.

Yes

I seriously wasn't expecting something like this from you, and it's a very welcome surprise. I love what you've done with the arrangement here, and you've really got a good handle on the sequencing here. I will admit the source usage can be a little light overall, which might be a concern with the other judges, but I think it comes back to where it needs to be often enough for me to pass this.

Nice work.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Great arrangement here, I love the emotions this rampages through. You've got oppressive march and subdued dirge sitting back to back. I like that this isn't melodic at all times; the dissonance suits the clamor.

The production wasn't perfect - sometimes the brass overpowers the other instruments and the strings sounded kind of weak - but certainly good enough for a pass. Very enjoyable.

YES

• 1 month later...

Mmmmm.... Norihiko Hibino.... <3

So yeah, this is very good. Personalized and emotive arrangement that really works even with all that original stuff jammed in there. Orchestra sounds good but the balance could overall be a bit better and maybe a clearer hall reverb? It sounds a bit muffled at the moment but not enough to really hold it back.

Nice work here, really.

YES