OCR00439 - Super Mario World "Swanky Vegas"

Ginnsu

Super Mario World 'Swanky Vegas'

This is excellent, very Swanky, and very Vegas. And why go to Vegas too loose all your cash when djpretzel can bring all the swank right to your computer? To me, this song feels like it’s the essence of what djpretzel and other remixers have in mind when they post music here on Overclocked. That is that they are taking old tunes from systems that lacked the capabilities to create such beautiful sounds, and then give those tunes those beautiful sounds that they lack, and so badly need. In the process bringing to life memories, that for many of us, come straight from our childhoods. As always djpretzel, keep up this excellent work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This mix definately fit the title of 'Swanky.'

Loved this mix. Probably one of your better works.

(Although technically, I can't say that because I haven't heard all of your work)

Well, it is of my favourite works you have given us.

Great job. Keep it up.

And you should really work on your self-esteem.

You almost always think your stuff is bad, but it's not.

In fact it's quite good.

Anyway, great mix.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Great stuff! I dunno if anyone's ever said this before, but I think the first 35 seconds sounds a little like the introduction to the Muppets show. In my book, that's a compliment.

I love the arrangement of this song, and I love the original. djp does a fantastic job of giving this a Vegas sound. I keep this little diddy on my playlist at all times.

• 3 months later...

Rum and coffee, DJP? Interesting, i'll have to try it sometime.

I think that the no quantization idea worked very good, and the feeling on everything is very natural.

Arrangementwise it's still pretty close to the source, but I think enough personalization went into the swinging and small ornaments to keep it on the site, at least for the time.

I'm actually not a huge fan of the source. It's got nostalgia points for me, of course, but that's about it. However, the rhodes makes the melody pop a lot more to me, and I think the instruments chosen for the mix in general are perfect.

A little coverish, but if you like mario music, you'll love it.

• 1 year later...

I've always liked this song. Super Mario World was something else; the castles, the levels, the Yoshies. I remember playing this game so much as a kid, so many times, and never getting bored. Honestly, I know it might be heresy, this is probably my favorite Mario game (gasp!).

This mix is a very fun, upbeat one. Nothing too deep, but I find it nostalgic and enjoyable. Nice work.

• 3 years later...

This is what I imagine was going through Koji Kondo's head when he was composing the original Mario World theme. This is probably one of my favorite Mario World mixes on the site. The production is solid, the performance is perfect IMO, and the arrangement is enjoyable so much so that I found myself putting this on repeat a lot. It's Mario but you definitely put your own twist in it.

Great stuff Mr. Pretzel!

Edited by urdailywater

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00439 - Super Mario World "Swanky Vegas"