Post Most Common mixing/music problems/mistakes you see

If I knew that people on OCR were so confident in their own abilities that they were completely opposed to any type of criticism (even when that criticm isn't even directed at them specifically) I wouldn't have even mentioned the whole thing about stereo/mono mixing/mastering.

This is the most critique-friendly community I've ever been involved with.

That said, people are just rebutting your advice. And it seems like everyone here has a different approach to mixing/arranging their songs so there's gonna be a lot of clashing methodologies. I don't think they're being hard-headed, but they will call people out if something is potentially wrong.

holy crap people in here are dumb. Nowhere does Ghetto say that rock/metal whatever is released in mono and doesn't have stereo effects. He specifically points out that lots of tracks of this genre DO have stereo effects and panning, yet if it is done properly, it will still sound good in mono (Sure the average home user doesn't listen to stuff in mono, but some radio stations play music in mono, some clubs play music in mono, etc. It does have a place).

The one point he is trying to make is "Throw it in to mono and resolve arrangement/phasing issues before adding panning and stereo effects".

You guys can't just take that piece of advice for what it is, advice, and either use it or don't. Most of you guys are completely twisting what he is trying to say, and making counter points on something he never even said in the first place.

Either way, it sounds like good advice to me, and I will experiment with it next time I do my mixing/mastering.

holy crap people in here are dumb. Nowhere does Ghetto say that rock/metal whatever is released in mono and doesn't have stereo effects. He specifically points out that lots of tracks of this genre DO have stereo effects and panning, yet if it is done properly, it will still sound good in mono (Sure the average home user doesn't listen to stuff in mono, but some radio stations play music in mono, some clubs play music in mono, etc. It does have a place).

The one point he is trying to make is "Throw it in to mono and resolve arrangement/phasing issues before adding panning and stereo effects".

You guys can't just take that piece of advice for what it is, advice, and either use it or don't. Most of you guys are completely twisting what he is trying to say, and making counter points on something he never even said in the first place.

Either way, it sounds like good advice to me, and I will experiment with it next time I do my mixing/mastering.

THANK YOU!

I left because I thought that no one would get it. Come to think of it, the guy who doesn't format his posts perfectly is the one who UNDERSTOOD.

Yes, excuse me for disputing a point because someone is offering advice that will hurt the OP more than help.

And I missed this before:

SymBiotix, nobody ever claimed that GLL said that metal mixes are going to be released in mono. What we're saying is that having the stereo spectrum is imperative in the placement (or even use) of instruments and overall decision-making in both the arrangement and the mixing process.

Yeah I get that. My problem is that both of you guys were like "LOLZ these metal songs have panning in them! you are wrong!!" when he wasn't saying that metal songs dont have panning.

Regardless, lets just let it die :P

Advice is: Throw it in mono to resolve any phasing/arrangement issues before you apply panning and stereo effects.

You can take the advice, or not take it.

End of Discussion. Resume thread plz.

I think I know what Ghetto Lee Lewis is saying and I'm glad that I've stumbled upon this. I'm pretty sure my music is gonna sound even more amazing now that I've read this.

Yoozer and Zircon both made important points as well. I just learned a shit ton from this thread.

Sweet, im glade people are picking stuff up from this thread, but guys keep the arguments low ;(

Does it matter at all if this mix DOESN'T sound good in mono at this point? Do I care? Should I care? Why should I care if it's only ever going to be listened to in stereo anyway?

That's my attitude. I always laugh at suggestions that I listen to my final mix in mono to make sure there are no problems. I listen to music in stereo, and I'm not mixing it for grandma's old 8-track with a missing speaker. And yes, I'm aware that's not what mono means, but then again I don't give a shit.

That's my attitude. I always laugh at suggestions that I listen to my final mix in mono to make sure there are no problems. I listen to music in stereo, and I'm not mixing it for grandma's old 8-track with a missing speaker. And yes, I'm aware that's not what mono means, but then again I don't give a shit.

Isn't that a bad attitude though. Mono isn't obsolete and I don't think it'll ever be. PA systems use mono for the most part, and I'm sure there are people out there who still listen to mono. In my opinion, as a music artist you should want your music to sound good no matter how it's played. And if it sounds good in mono, it'll sound good(and in some cases, super good) in stereo, but the reverse isn't the same.

I can honestly say since switching to mono while mixing, I've learned about how elements interact with each other when they're sitting EXACTLY on top of each other. Once you get them working together in mono, then editing them in stereo will yield a more crisp result with your work and more room for your music to "breathe" I guess you could say.

But of course everyone is different and some people can get away just fine with mixing solely in stereo. I for one am glad I switched over. I haven't produced anything yet with this, but when I do, there will be a noticeable difference in my previous work xD.

This doesn't apply for lots of stuff though. As the whole drama before said, if you were to squish rock/metal songs into one channel, the double tracked stereo guitars would muddy up everything else.

Stereo is required for some mixing techniques. You can't mix a rock song in mono to make sure everything doesn't overlap on each other, because then you can't do double tracked guitars to make room for stuff in the middle.

Why?

BECAUSE IT'S IN MONO. :tomatoface:

Rock songs like that aren't ever able to sound good "no matter how it's played" if they have double tracked guitars, and they can't do anything to change it unless they reworked the balancing and/or composition of the piece.

...and the world ends in 2012 because not all songs in stereo are mono-compatible.

As for the original topic of the thread, I've got an arrangement mistake I keep hearing. Some ppl start from a source redo and end up having trouble personalizing it and creating a good arrangement that's different from source. More of an ocr-specific problem, but worth mentioning imo.

I can honestly say since switching to mono while mixing, I've learned about how elements interact with each other when they're sitting EXACTLY on top of each other. Once you get them working together in mono, then editing them in stereo will yield a more crisp result with your work and more room for your music to "breathe" I guess you could say.

so, how does one switch from stereo to mono anyways? because now im starting to wonder if it would help on my first remix

...and the world ends in 2012 because not all songs in stereo are mono-compatible.

As for the original topic of the thread, I've got an arrangement mistake I keep hearing. Some ppl start from a source redo and end up having trouble personalizing it and creating a good arrangement that's different from source. More of an ocr-specific problem, but worth mentioning imo.

Guilty as charged, tbh. When I'm learning how to play the source, I start by dividing the track and learning each section by ear, and playing it along with the original track itself. It subconsciously sends a message that I should do the remix like that as well, so it makes it harder to stray from the source a bit and give the piece some originality.

so, how does one switch from stereo to mono anyways? because now im starting to wonder if it would help on my first remix

From what I was told, you can put the fl stereo enhancer in one of the master channel inserts and turn the knob all the way to the negative side which turns the song mono. But as others have said, it doesn't work for everything and I shouldn't have said some of the things I said.

I'm still gonna use mono though. I'll just have to take a different approach double tracking or hard panned stuff, or other crazy stereo effects.

The final SOUND of your remix or song or whatever is determined NOT just by volume faders and EQ but also what notes/chords you write and what instruments you select. I can't emphasize that enough. You can't just write whatever you want with whatever instruments you want, then expect that mixing and mastering will somehow fix it.

This resonates greatly with me. Thanks Zircon.