OCR01289 - Castlevania Chronicles "Mucho Dollar Care a Junk CIA"

djpretzel

This is nice, and I like the idea, but do any of the instruments ever change in volume? The way everything's so constant and stuff makes the mix seem a little more... synthesized. Less human. I don't know, something like that.

Other than that though, yeah, nice concept and well executed. I like the way the guitar, flute, and piano work together to give the mix that ethnic "oomph" it was shooting for throughout most of the piece.

So overall, I did enjoy this piece... It just seemed a little mechanical, and such.

Wow. That's all I'm going to say for now.

EDIT: Okay, now that I've listened to it, I'll talk more. I like how the piano and strings are done. The composition is excellent.

I'm not too big on the filters involved, but I guess that's your style. It's not as wierd or interesting as Hunter's Community Chest, but it's still great. I like what you got going. Submit another. 8)

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmm, this sort of reminds me of that escaping song from Super Metroid (the one that plays where you have to escape from the lab in the beginning).

Nice stuff.

Hearing this, made me interested in the x68000 and I decided to look for it. There isn't much English side support for it, so it was tough trying to get it set up. But after I found the correct files, it worked and I've noticed that it has some very nice music in it.

And basically, the gameplay is kind of Super Castlevania 4 and Castlevania combined, except the graphics are better than both, and the music is great.

I might be able to help guide peeps here on how to play it if they are interested. 8)

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I believe Shna creates some of the most complex arrangements in this site, if not THE most. Seriously, you can't predict what's around the next turn when you listen to one of his mixes. The sound textures are great for this piece, even though some are artificial-sounding. But it still have an improvisational feel to it.

• 1 year later...

Very nice textures and ideas, though I almost wish it had a few more hooks in there to really grab my attention. I almost felt like it need some sections that were less rhythmically intense, and there were some nice melodic passages interspersed from the constantly subdivided one, specifically the short phrase where the synth and bass feature prominently.

I realize the need for such cut patterns with a mixed meter and a lack constant percussion to keep the flow (though when it is in there, the bongos are killer, and a mix highlight for me), but some interspersed legato licks would be nice.

Production is a bit mechanical, but overall not too distracting. Panning really helps this stay organized, it's be so hard to follow otherwise.

I dig this one quite a bit, but it would work best as a movement, surrounded by something a little smoother.

• 10 months later...

What a great mix. Out of the ordinary, of course, this is Snabubula after all, but I think its strangely accessable as well. Fast paced guitar + piano jazz blended up with a zesty Middle-Eastern flavour. That's the sort of craziness that just may work, and clearly does. Complex, asymmertical, unpredictable. Never change that approach and you'll be just fine, Snab.

• 4 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01289 - Castlevania Chronicles "Mucho Dollar Care a Junk CIA"