OCR02176 - Tails and the Music Maker "Picolescence"

djpretzel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I threw this into a playlist at work along with a bunch of newly downloaded remixes and hit play. It was a few days before I really caught on to this mix. It ended and jumped to the next track and I thought to myself, "what was that? That was sweet."

I stopped what I was doing and really concentrated on the music. Wow, what a beautiful piece!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I am the composer of this little piece of overlooked (and rightly so) video game music from the 90s. I composed 10 or 15 of these kinds tracks. For this game I was told that the end sound in the game was basically just a very short synth blip, so I composed on a synth with a square wave with a short sustain. Memory was very expensive back then. I mean like $50 a megabyte. Anyway, it was just the one or 2 voices as I recall and so I decided the only way to keep things "interesting" was to write with a lot of counterpoint. I was quite happy with my results considering the limitations. But low and behold when I went into the office to hear the final product it was worse than I could have ever imagined. They had actually edited out notes of the composition because of limitations in memory and limitations in melodic range without ever consulting me on the final result. It was absolutely horrible sounding.

OK, I am the composer of this little piece of overlooked (and rightly so) video game music from the 90s. I composed 10 or 15 of these kinds tracks. For this game I was told that the end sound in the game was basically just a very short synth blip, so I composed on a synth with a square wave with a short sustain. Memory was very expensive back then. I mean like $50 a megabyte. Anyway, it was just the one or 2 voices as I recall and so I decided the only way to keep things "interesting" was to write with a lot of counterpoint. I was quite happy with my results considering the limitations. But low and behold when I went into the office to hear the final product it was worse than I could have ever imagined. They had actually edited out notes of the composition because of limitations in memory and limitations in melodic range without ever consulting me on the final result. It was absolutely horrible sounding.

Reason #2 OCR is awesome: Actual VG artists comment here.

Do you think that ever since this remix, people's interest in the game (or even game system) has spiked?

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Zircon you are awesome for making this mix!

• 3 months later...

So listening back, I think throughout 2011 so far, this still tops as one of my favorite remixes so far this year. What I especially love about this mix is the the airy sound that comes from all the reverb mixed with the pads. The whole song sounds so elegant, but at the same time it still has a beat to it that pumps me up. It just sounds like the song shouldn't have ended where it did, though. I really thought a lot more could have been done, IMO. But it's nothing I'm complaining about too much, really.

One thing that's sad about this remix is the fact that just because it's not from a Zelda or Chrono Trigger mix, it will probably be overlooked by a lot of people for no good reason. This is an amazing remix. Definitely worth a download.

• 1 year later...

Tails had a game? Wow. Anyway, an impressive ReMix in a span of three hours. I wouldn't have believed it if it was Zircon. And once again, Zircon creates something with an amazing beat and I have to say that this is probably the best Pico ReMix I've ever heard. And I mean ever.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02176 - Tails and the Music Maker "Picolescence"