MYTH - The Xenogears Orchestral Album

Captain_Video

Are people aware that this just came out?

http://vgmdb.net/album/22515

They're planning a PSP and PS3 release of Xenogears, so this release probably has something to do with it.

Unfortunately, I found most of the arrangements pretty uninspired and the orchestra itself seems rather lifeless. Its definitely no Cried.

Search around on Youtube to hear some tracks.

Listening to "October Mermaid" right now - it's my favorite Xeno tune. Looking forward to the actual album quality. This might bump up the chance of an official Xenogears Piano album to accompany OUS's Xenogears Light.

More Xenogears music is good by me!

Yes, more Xenogears music is definitely good. I love Xenogears Light.

I really want this orchestral album, regardless of how it turns out. I'm pretty much a Xenogears fanboy. Remake please?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know where else I can digitally buy this? I absolutely detest iTunes, and Play-Asia sells it for a ridiculous $31 USD.

(or if it's available at a cheaper price from other reputable online store?)

I've never played Xenogears, but I feel like I'm already so familiar with its soundtrack just because of OCR.

Oh and LOL: this is a quote I found from the gamefaq forums whilst I was looking up MYTH:

I didn't really like it unfortunately. Its a shame when a fan album like Humans + Gears can be so superior to an official one (then again, OC Remix is just freaking awesome).

Anyone know where else I can digitally buy this? I absolutely detest iTunes, and Play-Asia sells it for a ridiculous $31 USD.

(or if it's available at a cheaper price from other reputable online store?)

I've never played Xenogears, but I feel like I'm already so familiar with its soundtrack just because of OCR.

Not a big fan of iTunes myself, but at that price I was too impatient to hunt around for something else. :-) I think I saw on the Square-Enix site that it was sold out on Amazon, but that might have just been the Japanese release.

Oh, and not to slight Humans + Gears in any way, but I strongly disagree with the originator of that quote. H + G is a (very good, but quite heterogeneous) remix album, Myth is an orchestral album with arrangements that stay very close to the composer's original vision -- why even compare the two? Viewing Myth as a kind of "OST plus," I think it's extremely good. :-)

I was pretty appalled by most of what I heard from the CD. The arrangements seem to be pretty awful and the orchestra itself can hardly even play in tune sometimes.

Some of the arrangements (glares at Dance of Death) are embarrassingly bad.

It's a shame because we know that when Mitsuda is given enough time and a good orchestra, he does wonders (Xenosaga I).

They're not that close.

Well, certainly closer than Humans & Gears and probably closer than Creid (except for the Lahan theme). At least, Myth preserves the mystical moods, tender harmonies, and general epic feel of many of the OST tracks. If Creid was yang, this is yin.

I do wish Mitsuda had covered Knight of Fire instead of Dance of Death, though.

Well, certainly closer than Humans & Gears and probably closer than Creid (except for the Lahan theme). At least, Myth preserves the mystical moods, tender harmonies, and general epic feel of many of the OST tracks. If Creid was yang, this is yin.

I do wish Mitsuda had covered Knight of Fire instead of Dance of Death, though.

Given the style of Mitsuda's other arrange albums (thinking mostly of the "Brink of Time" Chrono Trigger album), he's less into the orchestral stuff and much more into more varied styles.

I am listening to this now and I agree with docnano, it's rather conservative overall. It's more similar to the soundtrack was than Creid was. That's not really a bad thing at all. While Creid was awesome, I know a few people who didn't really like the style of it.