FFIX: Zidane's March

Andy_Frank

First off: I am new to OC Remix forums, so hello everyone!

Secondly: I really like Concert Band marches, and I also really like Final Fantasy 9. I decided to take on the arduous compositional task of arranging a march because I feel Zidane's theme could use an energetic Sousa-esque interpretation.

I'm having some clear problems with it, but rather than affect your interpretations of it by pointing them out myself, I'd like to let you guys go into it cold, so you might draw the same conclusions, OR you might point something out I totally overlooked. Any feedback would be really appreciated. I hope you enjoy it!

http://soundcloud.com/andy-frank/zidanes-march-in-eb-major-f

Hi Andy_Frank,

I really liked this!

I don't really know what to say about production because I'm not very good at that kind of stuff, but I quite enjoyed the arrangement, and I think it could be really good if it was extended a bit.

I do think that the main theme is repeated a bit too much...it would be nice to hear more of Zidane's theme! It might also sound a bit more cohesive if you kept the same kind of beat for more of the song. I really liked the marching band feel in the first part, but having it change to a mellower tone for the second half didn't really work for me...Maybe if the band came in again after that part it would work better. Either way, keep up the good work! :)

Hmm... I think I agree, the second half isn't a fitting end for it, it requires a recapitulation for certain. Also I should rely less on the main theme. Glad you mentioned that because it didn't even seem like a problem to me until you said something. Thanks a lot for the critique Kuolema!

I do like concert band marches, so I was pretty psyched that I got to see one in the form of a remix. This is all very solid and all, but it's lacking in volume a little. The dynamics are great, but it could use a bit of a boost on everything. The ending is a bit stilted, and the bass is a bit overmixed, but aside from that, this is pretty solid. It would be nicer if it were a minute longer, though.

Hey this is pretty good. Being in the Army I play marches so much they make my head spin, this would be a welcome change as it doesn't follow the typical Sousa 1st strain, 2nd strain, trio, dogfight, recap template that has been beaten to death a thousand times over.

I like the transition into the minor segment. Are you planning on making it longer and re-visiting the march section? Another modulation into G Major after the F Minor part could spice it up.

I appreciate your comments, they are very helpful and thank you for taking the time to listen! Eilios I just want to know exactly what do you mean by "stilted?" I think I might know what you're referring to but I don't think I've heard that word used for music before. Could you elaborate perhaps?

I appreciate your comments, they are very helpful and thank you for taking the time to listen! Eilios I just want to know exactly what do you mean by "stilted?" I think I might know what you're referring to but I don't think I've heard that word used for music before. Could you elaborate perhaps?

"stilted" means unnatural and forced. A transition that doesn't feel right, vocals that don't quite match up, that sort of thing.

First, an unrelated note: I love your Megaman Battle Network remix. Have you tried bringing that here to OCR?

Now about Zidane's theme.

Overall it's unique and a welcoming change to the rock ballads and electromixes we see more often than not on OCR. I do agree with eilios that the volume needs a boost and if you can get a recording of more authentic instruments that would make this mix even more awesome.

In regards to the ending, I would make it a grand finale. Throw everything you have at the listener, as if you are declaring a victorious homage for someone who saves the world (which actually happens in the case of Zidane {SPOILERS}).

First, an unrelated note: I love your Megaman Battle Network remix. Have you tried bringing that here to OCR?

Now about Zidane's theme.

Overall it's unique and a welcoming change to the rock ballads and electromixes we see more often than not on OCR. I do agree with eilios that the volume needs a boost and if you can get a recording of more authentic instruments that would make this mix even more awesome.

In regards to the ending, I would make it a grand finale. Throw everything you have at the listener, as if you are declaring a victorious homage for someone who saves the world (which actually happens in the case of Zidane {SPOILERS}).

:D!

Thank you so much for that comment, because I was worried my compositional style wouldn't fit in well here. About the Megaman mix, I formally submitted that to be reviewed by judges so I hope they feel the same way you do. :)

I think a grand finale is EXACTLY what it needs, that would so nicely provide a thematic story for the piece: Whimsical beginning, dark middle section, and triumphant ending. I agree also that a volume boost is in order and also I feel the sudden keychange is WAYYY too loud xD. I'll fix that as soon as I can and I'll look into using more convincing instruments. Thank you everyone for your feedback it is very, very helpful.