*NO* Super Mario Bros. 2 'Hayride Dreams'

DragonAvenger

ReMixer Name: One Man Dan Band (or just O.M.D.B. if that's too long)

Email: lildanbassman@yahoo.com

UserID: 15175 (superdan54)

Games Arranged: Super Mario Bros. 2

Songs Arranged: Title Screen, Character Select

Link to Remix (also attached):

Remix Title - "Hayride Dreams"

Comments: Hi, long time OCR fan here. Ever since a child, I always thought the intro music to Super Mario 2 sounded like an 8-bit banjo, so I've always wanted to remix it. Unfortunately, no one else in the entire world shares my affinity for both bluegrass & video games, so I decided to start my own solo 'band' to accomplish that purpose. This is more of a bluegrass/jazz type of fusion inspired by the works of David Grisman (of Grateful Dawg fame). I hope it finds a place in that small portion of your soul that pines for simpler times. Thanks for listening and I hope it induces a little feet stomping and knee slapping :).

----------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD0d-XC_Cho

Definitely a cool style to take these sources to. I've heard similar stuff with other Mario themes, but it's nice to see some SMB2 love. The arrangement overall is pretty nice, although the beginning feels like it drags just a bit.

What is bothering me is that there are a lot of instances where things aren't lining up very neatly, which makes the whole arrangement feel messy. One big example of this is when the piano solo comes in, it just isn't matching up with the other instruments time-wise. Also, the bass drum needs a little more punch.

I'd love to see you go and clean this up.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree the timing is way loose, but it given the track a certain drunken hillbilly charm. We all know that I am well acquainted with hillbillies and their wily ways, so when I say it sounds authentic, you know it's true. :-)

The drums could be a bit punchier, like a still of unfiltered moonshine, but the all-live feel to the track is really refreshing, and the feel of it is really spontaneous. It's not flawlessly performed, but i think it's pretty good, and definitely has a good feeling to it.

Yes

• 3 weeks later...

The timing just got looser and looser as the song went on; maybe there was someone funneling these guys moonshine as they played. It was a pretty big hinderance to what is otherwise a really awesome take on the songs of Mario 2. I have given some lenience to performed tracks before, but this is too much to overlook. I think using Melodyne or a similar program to fix up the timing might be all this needs (or re-recording of course). The drums sounded alright to me, definitely not a dealbreaker. Hope this sees another version.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Initially, the arrangement was really straightforward for the banjo, but the second half really rescued it from being too cover-ish, and included some good expansionist ideas as well as tons of other song cameos.

Sometimes, the timing got loose to the point of distraction (e.g. 1:24-1:26, 1:35-1:40, 2:34-2:42). That said, I actually was less bothered by it the closer I listened to it, as the bothersome sections didn't last as long as I would have thought. It would suck if this couldn't be posted, as I AGREE with the Js asking for the fixes, BUT this was getting a lot more right than it was getting wrong, enough so that the scales tipped in favor of me going with it.

No hate if it doesn't make it. The timing bothers me too, it just didn't bother me as much as it did the NOs. If it doesn't make it, Daniel, don't be discouraged. It's pretty obvious we all love the concept and know you have skills, there are just performance/timing issues that should be ironed out for a more cohesive track. That said, I think it's solid enough, and I'm down. Either way, I hope we hear a lot more music from you, as this is something you don't hear every day!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Very creative approach here. I was worried things were going to be too coverish starting out, but as things progressed you brought some nice personalization to the themes. I particularly enjoyed the quick song cameos you tucked in there - the original Super Mario Bros theme at 1:21 was a brilliant touch.

So, yeah, that brings us down to production. Basically, my only beef with this (that has been mentioned to death already) is timing issues. I think OA put it well, though, that it brings a certain charm to the song. Given the genre of the song, I feel it's not as big of an issue as it would be in other contexts.

I certainly would like to get a tighter version if possible, but I don't have a problem with this one eking through.

Yes, borderline

Haha very fresh; I like it a lot. The execution is a bit janky. The stringed instruments tend to be a bit too clean and up front compared to the drums. They sound like they were recorded rather poorly in a bedroom. I'm not saying the recording is a dealbreaker, but you might want to put some small hall verb on them so they sound a little more like they were all recorded at the same time. Give it a live feel. The piano sticks out, for one thing as being not live, but also it's strange that for a song that seems to go for a live sound, it doesn't play at all until its one line, then it's gone. I think the drums are treated very well for the style. Like the verb.

I love the track, but aside from the rhythmic awkwardness, you really should try to make those little fixes to better maintain the live feel.

NO

Gonna have to make this a quick vote. Piano-and-forwards really ruined it for me with the timing. A re-record or timing fix would be needed before I could pass this. The track sounds good though, even though there are some slight mixing fixes you can do (see Vig's vote) the big thing was the timing. Sorry!

NO(resubmit)