OCR02421 - *YES* NiGHTS into dreams... 'Panzer Nightopia'

OceansAndrew

Contact Info:

ReMixer name: MattInc

Website: (nothing really, though you guys already have my Twitter and Facebook information on my ReMixer page)

Userid: 28954

Submission Info:

Name of game: NiGHTS: Into Dreams (Sega Saturn)

Name of individual song(s) arranged: "Message From Nightopia" by Naofumi Hataya

Comments:

My Comments:

For this ReMix, the style sort-of came to me by accident through experimentation with a drum VST I bought. It reminded me of the tribal/ambient-ness of the Panzer Dragoon series(I was still in a Panzer Dragoon obsession phase), so I just slapped on an appropriate title. (sounds silly, yeah?)

When it comes to music, I'm not the strongest writer ever, so instead of relying on that, I tried evoking a more moody/ambient style in this piece. I went with a very electronic/symphonic sound as opposed to the pop-y cheerfulness of the source.

All in all, being a part of this album project has been awesome, and it's been great working with Stevo and everyone associated with this project. I'm looking forward to the album's release!

Stevo's (Level99's) Comments:

Panzer Nightopia...what can I say? This song is the embodiment of adventure and intrigue. Taking a source tune from one of the Saturn’s most iconic games and giving it the genre treatment of another of the Saturn’s iconic games is the idea of a mad genius. MattInc crafted this incredibly interesting soundscape, with tribal drums and lush strings layered between warm synths and a crystal clear piano. Since his first WIP, I had it in mind that this would be the way to start the project off. It is definitely a stark contrast to the style of the source, but the melodies are still all there and given amazing treatment. It also gets the NiGHTS leit motif a thorough runthrough, preparing the listener for its inclusion in the tracks that follow the rest of the project. Great work from a super-nice ReMixer, and a perfect start to the album.

~Stevo

source:

Plenty of good things going on here. As mentioned, this purposefully avoids the overly-cheerful mood of the source which is heard often enough in other tracks of the game, so it's nice to hear something different from NiGHTS. The source motif is heard throughout, but the new soundscape gives it a whole new feel, although it does get a bit repetitive again and again to hear the same six source notes again and again.

Production is pretty solid, with the balance being clear. Some sections sound just a tad mechanical, but it's not that bad. Drumwork is nice, although it feels just a little far front in the soundscape, but it really adds to the texture.

Some good work here,

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Is there even a reason to have a NiGHTS project when every song in the soundtrack is already a version of the same melody? :<

Joking aside (don't be mad, Stevo), this is pretty solid stuff. Some of the more exposed string arpeggios feel a little mechanical to me, but on the whole, the sequencing and production were strong, and the drums are a highlight. The arrangement is very cool, and takes the original in a cool new direction with a lot of inspired additions. The transition 3/4 through could have been a little smoother, but overall this is a very compelling track.

Yes

• 3 weeks later...
Some of the more exposed string arpeggios feel a little mechanical to me, but on the whole, the sequencing and production were strong, and the drums are a highlight. The arrangement is very cool, and takes the original in a cool new direction with a lot of inspired additions. The transition 3/4 through could have been a little smoother, but overall this is a very compelling track.

Stop reading my mind, man. OA hit every criticism and praise I had, and I agree that the song is definitely a pass.

I'll just add that the ambient arrangement was a great match for the original, which is a less melodic take on the NiGHTS melody than many of the other songs in the game. This arrangement had a strong soundtrack feel, and the strings and piano floated beautifully atop the warm pads, like whispers in the wind.

YES

• 1 month later...

not much to add. this has a really pleasant vibe to it, and I think the glitchy drums were a nice touch, I wasn't really bothered by the string articulations. the arrangement is interesting; not how I'd imagined someone interpreting such an upbeat, dance-y tune. I'm still having a little trouble identifying the B section in here, but the main theme is all over the place. I like it. great way to kick off pretty stellar album. :)

YES