OCR02258 - *YES* Seiken Densetsu 3 'Starlight Festival'

DragonAvenger

Hi,

I was told about OCRemix from a few comments on my YT channel, so I decided to submit one of my recent arrangements.

Contact Info

"Kiamet"

Casey Ormond

Game: Seiken Densetsu 3

Title: "Starlight Festival"

Original Track: "Powell"

I was inspired by the latin piano arrangement of Vamo Alla Flamenco on the FFIX PC, as well as the piano duets of Astor Piazzolla. I also really wanted to arrange something by Hiroki Kikuta, one of my favourite game composers.

Thanks!

Kiamet

---------------------

• 2 weeks later...

I am loving the style and the overall arrangement you have here. The melodies aren't greatly changed, but there is a lot of personalization, and lot of energy added to this. The playing is natural and the solos fit nicely into the overall song. The latin vibe adds a sense of urgency to this that is really cool to listen to. The piano itself sounds great as well, and the recording is well balanced.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

A very solid performance and a completely sick source. One of my favorite Kikuta tracks of all time, no question. The arrangement is somewhat conservative, but there are a lot of small details that help differentiate the track.

The one issue I have is that there is a high frequency hum throughout the track that is especially noticeable at the end of the song. I think that should be removed as best as possible. Im not sure how well it'd go without compromising the piano sound, but I really like the song, and want it to sound it's best.

Yes (conditional)

SANITY CHECK: is there a high end noise? Deia says she doesn't hear it and I may be insane is all.

• 4 weeks later...

Arrangement was not bad, though retained the feel of the original more than most subs we see. I could tell there were subtle differences in the writing, and I would have liked something more dramatically different. Still, the approach here was fine as far as standards go. Something sounded off to me about the production though, the right-hand notes sound lacking in body and this didn't have the energy I was expecting. Not sure if anyone else agrees with me on that point, but that's gonna be a dealbreaker for me. I'll certainly revisit this if there's strong opposition; I'm not even sure I can articulate exactly what sounds off about this, and I may well be nitpicking. Sometimes the playing of the main melody seemed kind of stiff too, but that was a much smaller issue. Sorry, Casey.

NO (resubmit)

Maybe the high-end noise OA is hearing is reverb? Seemed a tad high here, to me nothing worth pointing out, but I normally cut those high-frequencies off my reverb.

• 1 month later...

Very capably performed piece here. Loved the dynamic changes you brought here, especially coming into sections like 2:05 and 3:14.

I actually can hear the high end ringing that OA is talking about. It was most prominent at 1:02 - 1:10 & 1:57 - 2:05. It sounds like a high end mechanical whine or something - could be an artifact of the recording process or some sort of harmonic resonance. I don't think it's a dealbreaker as it's really subtle, but it would be nice if we could get a version without it.

(EDIT: Later comment: the more I listen to this piece, the more I notice the ringing. I really would prefer to have a version without the ringing if possible. I'm not going to go conditional on it, but it would certainly be nice.)

I can hear what Vinnie is saying about the higher notes lacking body. It sounds like the piece is a bit low-mid heavy, which is going to favor the low end notes over the high end. Still, I guess I don't feel that it's as big of an issue here as he.

The arrangement is definitely on the conservative side. Much of the structure and the melodies from the original are retained here. You have brought some nice flourishes, embellishments, and additions of your own to bring it over the arrangement bar.

Yes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
SANITY CHECK: is there a high end noise? Deia says she doesn't hear it and I may be insane is all.

No, I hear it. There's light fuzz throughout the recording, you're not making things up. It was nothing that was a dealbreaker or that would negatively affect the experience for a casual listener, but it was there.

I definitely agreed with Vinnie about this needing more body, IMO, but I also though what was here was well-performed and sounded strong enough even if the right-hand notes sounded thin.

I agreed with Nutritious about the overall arrangement being personalized enough despite the structure being close to the original; it's definitely a good example of how to do that and still use embellishments and additive writing to give a source tune its own unique feel and not just adapt it for a solo instrument with no interpretation.

Good stuff, and a very welcome mix for me. I've always enjoyed this source since hearing Cloud's "Hostile But Cuddly" from way back!

Nice debut and I hope we get more from you, Casey!

YES