OCR01294 - Crack Down "4:20 A.M."

djpretzel

Isn't zyko more known for his rap rather than guitar?

Of course he is more known for his rap... Probably "Niggaz 4 Life" to be specific since it was so "controversial" (Not really if you ask me, but some feel that way).

Anyways, be it guitar or rapping, zyko puts out some awesome shit, and this is no exception. I think this remix sounds great, great guitar riffs, I especially like the ending. Only problem that I had was the repetitive drums, but that really didn't take too much away from the remix as a whole. Good stuff.

Yeah, it's funky I guess. But the leads, guitars, etc. sound too distant, they need to brought forward in the mix. Also, there's not a whole lot going on: very repetitive, uninteresting melodies. Nothing really reaches out an' pulls you in. Some of the guitar work is kinda cool, but not enough to hold the mix afloat.

Not Zyko's best work.

6.5/10

Oh man, boo...

maybe it's because I'm not as much of a funkadelic zepplin or hendrix fan, but this guitar just doesn't seem to offer enough redeeming value to me on this one.

I don't consider myself to be a good guitarist and I didn't hear anything there that I couldn't do on my third try. The drums sound too fake, the instruments are too sparse and artificial, and the overall message is very: 'I made a funk song'.

I don't doubt it took you a day, or maybe a weekend... but I just don't think it's up to the par of some of the latest OCR stuff... it affirms to me that some very unfortunate biases are likely forming. Since the bar is already so high to begin with I think that the bar should be raised higher as the artist gets better as well.

When I knew I knew the name zyko from another track I liked I investigated, and was shocked to learn you were behind the Submarine Attack song with Destiny & the Europa Pegasi track with the wingless... those were much better.

2/10 because it's still a song.

Your guitar is good... but I think you need to do more collaborations... or learn more instruments. :)

Oh man, funky stuff...

So the guitar is really well played in this. That's a given. The theme is pretty well developped, and the sound quality is top notch. My one gripe is that there's really not much instrumentation other than the guitar and bass.

Maybe not zyko's crowning jewel, but a damn fine tune to jam out to nonetheless. 8/10

it affirms to me that some very unfortunate biases are likely forming. Since the bar is already so high to begin with I think that the bar should be raised higher as the artist gets better as well.

There is no bias. We rejected zyko's last submission. It may not be to your taste, but this particular mix is certainly well above the bar.

I just don't think it's up to the par of some of the latest OCR stuff... it affirms to me that some very unfortunate biases are likely forming.

We don't bias our votes, and you sure as hell don't have idea what you're talking about regarding site policy, submissions guidelines, quality standards, lockdown policy, or the general goings-on here, which is the usual when I see you complain.

The song was judged on all relevant areas, and weaknesses were pointed out along with the strengths. Judges have been rejected before while being on the panel, and past & future judges have all been rejected. The fact that you don't like the song doesn't mean bias was involved in passing it.

This is good... I wouldn't say it's anything extraordinary, but it's good. The vocals don't really seem necessary, but they don't really detract from the overall value either. The drums seem a little bland, but you hardly notice it with all the other funkage going on.

So yeah, overall, I like it. Nothing spectacular, but it's pretty good.

wtf is going on. all i get is a blank page and "file does not exist" when i try to download this. theres no information in the download bar either. anyone know whats going on?

at least, thats whats going on with the ocr link. im getting it from the supertux mirror. still, this is odd. is there a reason for it?

wtf is going on. all i get is a blank page and "file does not exist" when i try to download this. theres no information in the download bar either. anyone know whats going on?

at least, thats whats going on with the ocr link. im getting it from the supertux mirror. still, this is odd. is there a reason for it?

Same thing here ...maybe the whole site is under maintenance now ? ..or some file transfer overload..

Isn't zyko more known for his rap rather than guitar?

Of course he is more known for his rap... Probably "Niggaz 4 Life" to be specific since it was so "controversial" (Not really if you ask me, but some feel that way).

Anyways, be it guitar or rapping, zyko puts out some awesome shit, and this is no exception. I think this remix sounds great, great guitar riffs, I especially like the ending. Only problem that I had was the repetitive drums, but that really didn't take too much away from the remix as a whole. Good stuff.

This reminds me of his poker-face Sonic 2 remix, especially the chugging. It's more a jam than an actual song, but the bassline is so catchy even though it repeats itself over and over which makes you pay more attention to the wicked licks out of the guitar. I like the ending as well. The organ synth thing used is amazing. Thanks for the anticipation, Weed! Great jorb!

The song length is also 420.

Zyko known for voices more than guitar? I thought he started with guitar and had a lot of guitar mixes pumped out in the beginning...or actually pretty much about equal in both departments, at the same time.

I'm sure if the original melody was better everybody would be cheering.

I can't believe all the negative press on this piece.

THIS SONG KICKS SOME SERIOUS ASS.

I loved the version posted on vgmix -- "The Man who broke his Smile" -- and I love this one just as much. As zyko pointed out in his submission email, this is a different take on the same theme(s).

I never liked any of zyko's previous guitar work, but this quite simply broke my bias in half. Very chill, ultra cool. My hat's off to you, zyko. Keep up the awesome work.

Oh yeah, for those of you who actually enjoyed the sound bites, you'll like the vgmix version. Edit: nevermind, I got confused and was referring to another of zyko's pieces.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Booyah! Bringin' the review after a year and some change! I've always liked this song. I end up listening to it a lot because it's the first mix alphabetically in my 2004 folder. But why I'm REALLY Here... I noticed in iTunes the song is also 4:20 long, so I was wondering if thatt was deliberate? I figured probably so, but I must know.

• 1 year later...

Some sour notes in the solo, but it's still a decent jam, more about the wah guitar than anything else. I wish the source was a little better, as this meanders way too much for me. Textures are nice though, and there's a lot of cool panning. It sortof sounds like a group of guitarists all sort of noodling around. Decent BG music, but doesn't really grab me and demand attention.

do eet naoowww

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01294 - Crack Down "4:20 A.M."