Duke Nukem - Grabbag

Sbeast

I would totally sing this...

I just came down with a stupid cough-inducing throat crippling illness. tho... I should be over it in a couple days. But hey if you want vocals, I'm a good hard-rock vocalist

Of course if you could get brentalfloss to do it, that'd be pretty badass too.

EDIT: Okay, so the melody is scarily in the range of a male vocalist. Meaning that I think this song was TOTALLY written for voice. :P

Damn! I've heard some mixes of Grabbag, but this one really caught my attention. This is a rocker for sure! I don't have much time to post a thorough review of it, but I definitely agree that this mix could benefit incredibly from some solid vocals.

Sweet, sweet take on this piece. I'll try to come back sometime later to review this in more detail. Keep it up dude!

Ok, let's try this again, since last time I wrote an entire review only for the website to decide "no u", glitch out, and eat my post. Lovely.

Anyways, first the negative bit: In the video some parts seem to be either desynched, or different from the actual sound. I'm not exactly a guitar player, but some of the things seem "off", which make it a bit awkward. Still great though.

The music, on the other hand, is absolutely brilliant. I've always preferred Megadeth's version to Grabbag. I find that the heavier and "rawer" tune is much more Duke-like. So, obviously, this metal revamp of Grabbag is right up my particular alley. I'm particularly fond of it starts with a very soft and melodic, almost ballad-like, tune, does a small crescendo, then breaks into the heavier part to the sound of Jon St. John's iconic one liner: "Let's rock".

Speaking of which, I like the inclusion of a couple of classic Duke lines in there, cause it's not really a proper Duke Theme without it.

When I first wrote this, I jokingly referred that another negative point was the absence of a download, as I was therefore unable to enjoy this "on the go" with proper quality. That's been fixed since, so... That's that.

Really good music, more melodic than Megadeth's, which isn't necessarily bad as it's definitely carrying the full spirit of the Duke, more so than the original Grabbag I'd venture.

Great concept, great execution... Should totally be in DNF.

Hail to the king baby!

@Caliostro

I think you could be right about the "out of sync" issue. It all seemd fine in my video editor, but now I watch it again some parts are a bit off.

I thought it would be cool to start off with a more melodic section, in contrast to other remixes of the song and I'm glad you agree.

Thanks for the feedback, hail to the king!

@Cyril the Wolf

I've now included a download for the song, so feel free to experiment with some vocals on top of it.

I really dig this version. Are you just running the guitars through a POD? Pretty killer tone.

And it took me a couple of listens to pinpoint what this reminds me of, but this is reminiscent of old-school In Flames, which is always a good thing.

This really brings me back to the summer of '96 and the countless hours I spent playing this game. Good times!