DJ Max Technika (arcade music game) soliciting for community contributions (music & visual arts)

mDuo13

Hey guys, I admit I don't really keep up with the community here at OCR anymore, but Pentavision, makers of the DJ Max music game series, announced on their Twitter account a while back that they're soliciting for music contributions for the next update of their touchscreen arcade music game, DJ Max Technika, and I figured that a bunch of ReMixers and other artists here would be interested in contributing. I mean, who DOESN'T want their song in a professional, commercial music game?

Basically, they're going to pick community contributions and include those in their next arcade update, "Technika 2.5: It's Your Up!" So that means, taking community-submitted songs, having visual artists make images and videos to go with them, and making charts so that they become official tracks in the new version.

The downside is that they're not offering any money or anything for contributions; it's purely a "bragging rights" kind of affair. I'm not sure what the full legal details are for IP ownership of submitted songs (someone who submits will probably get details on that and could clarify?) but I mean, if you're submitting to OCR, you probably support the idea of giving tracks out for free, right?

For those of you who are familiar with the DJ Max series, they're willing to accept remixes of DJ Max original tracks, but ideally they're looking for entirely original material. All genres are welcome.

As for visual artists, I think they're trying to tailor the videos to match the songs, so your submissions will be sort of like a mini-portfolio, and if they like your work, they'll get back to you to request something more specific.

Anyway, since the OCR community is one of the brightest spots online for people with an interest in video games and free music, I couldn't not post about this here, and I think it'd be awesome if some people from here ended up in the game. I'm not their representative, just a player who's been following the game, so questions should be directed at their official Twitter account, @PlayPentavision.

Some links for reference, including submission guidelines:

Initial announcement: http://twitter.com/#!/PlayPentavision/status/26770026287595520

Submission details: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/8cd2pb

Follow-up: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/86rij7

Submitting remixes to OCR, which makes no profit and distributes said remixes for free, is nothing at all like giving songs to a COMMERCIAL video game developer whose goal is to profit from your work. I think it's insulting that the developer would not offer any money for something like this, and nobody in the community should take them up on it. Companies like Konami (DDR) and Andamiro (Pump It Up) have no problem paying artists for their contributions, so this company has no excuse.

Now if this is a free product that they're making no money from, that's a different story.