OCR01296 - Wing Commander "Wing Theme Surf"

djpretzel

Yeah, I wish we had more music with this feel on OCR - I was just thinking how the Chocobo theme would sound great like this, for instance. I grew up in Santa Cruz, which meant seeing surf videos around town all the time. Didn't care about the surfing too much, but the music was good :).

And yes, this is also really well put together. Nice to see people who create the music we remix, getting into the spirit of remixing themselves!

Not to sound like an idiot, but did anyone notice the screenshot of the game before downloading?

I absolutely hate when there's applause in the beginning of a song- it just makes it sound stupid. Otherwise I think it's an ok mix. It's not really a song I'd play over and over, it gets kind of boring (and it's not that enjoyable at first anyway). Maybe it's just me.

Not to sound like an idiot, but did anyone notice the screenshot of the game before downloading?

I absolutely hate when there's applause in the beginning of a song- it just makes it sound stupid. Otherwise I think it's an ok mix. It's not really a song I'd play over and over, it gets kind of boring (and it's not that enjoyable at first anyway). Maybe it's just me.

I hope all of you (non) idiots read the commentary and realised the song was played live.

I like.

I hope all of you (non) idiots read the commentary and realised the song was played live.

I like.

"It's Team Fat playing the theme from Wing Commander 1, live. The original composer (Dave Govett) is on drums. Joe McDermott (Zombies Ate my Neighbors) is on rhythm guitar, "Prof." K. Weston Phelan is on bass and I'm playing lead. I think we were playing at a Game Developers' Magazine function at a CES show, it was years ago. The applause is fake."

This song is still good. I don't know why people question it getting on to the site even with the sound quality. THis is a submission by three different game music creators.

I think a metronome would have helped.

Trying to be civil...but it's mind boggling that my surf remix was rejected, and this was accepted.....

I liked your mix a lot, and I don't think the panel was overly negative; Gray especially was on the fence, and I think resubmitting with minor changes could still see it posted.

However, I have to say, in no universe of mine is your mix "mind bogglingly" better than this; I think perhaps your perspective is somewhat biased due to having a surf mix that wasn't posted. I'd say they're fairly comparable, with a cleaner recording on yours and a more varied arrangement here. I appreciate efforts to be civil, and make such efforts myself when I recommend not using the term "mind boggling" to describe how much better your music is than others'....

I'm not familiar with the other surf mix in question, and while the applause here is a little stupid and the recording certainly isn't perfect, I really enjoyed this. Regardless of who this is by, the playing is solid and it's a good adaptation into the surf genre. Whether it is essentially a cover or not, I'm not sure. But it does accomplish exactly what it sets out to do.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Pretty nice arrangement, and a good live vibe. Guitar tones are nice, and the mixing and panning are great. I'm not huge on the concept of fake applause, but it certainly does lead into the track well.

The source is pretty good, and the transformation was certainly not what I would have expected, but turns out to be very enjoyable.

Nice work, Team Fat.

• 1 year later...

This is mostly exceptional for the cred that it brings with it, but it's not without its nice, warm charms. Great live recording, though it lacks a lot of atmosphere that makes some live recordings sound so distinct and engrossing. Didn't really connect with the fake atmosphere implanted into it, since I could tell it wasn't real as soon as I heard it. Other than that, there aren't any hitches to speak of (especially nice to see in live recordings). It's a simple arrangement for sure, but given the genre and the band set-up, that's all that's really needed.

A nice laid back performance, made extra special by the very talented gentleman behind it all. Occasional recognition from the creative epicenter is monumental.

• 5 years later...

I just looked into my Origin game library for the first time in like 2 years, only to realize I had a Wing Commander III waiting for me, that...I honestly don't remember downloading. So strange.

...and having just seen this on the front page as one of Russian Roulette remixes, I'm glad it caught my attention.

This is quite awesome for being from 2005; it's probably one of the cleanest live recordings I've heard on the site. I'm getting a strong Deep Purple or The Doors vibe from this one. I really don't have any critiques on this one, it's great. It feels a tad short if anything, I wanted more. But otherwise, this is greatness. :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01296 - Wing Commander "Wing Theme Surf"