Chillbots: videogame-electro-synth-jam-chillout-noise

phoenixdk

Two guys with synthesizers meet up and improvise for a couple of hours. Best bits are selected for release. It's a really free-flowing and productive way of making music, and the results are often pleasantly surprising. But to the point:

You like electrostuff?

You like chipsound?

You like prog-space-far-out-ambient-videogame-music?

Check us out please, I would seriously love to hear what you have to say. Constructive criticism and / or praise is preferable of course.

http://chillbots.bandcamp.com/

That guitar which sometimes accompanies the chip melodies just doesn't jive with everything else.

The jam session method of song composition seems to leave you guys at about 60/40 on a quality and fun scale. There's some good stuff in there, but I felt like sometimes I was just waiting for something to happen.

About the guitar, can you give an example? I agree that in some cases it stands out in a "too obvious" way, but the loops and synth-doubled stuff feels very well integrated to me. "Intelligent Life is Love" is a track where I think it works well - the basic melody and much of the lead stuff is live-looped guitar and guitar synth. "Japanese Mens Fashion" also works well, in my opinion, because the guitar is sampled in a basically impossible-to-play fashion (making it more synthesizer-sounding).

As for the quality vs fun thing... I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean your listening pleasure versus our recording pleasure? Or do you mean the technical competence of the music versus the "funness" of the music? Something else?

For me it's not the goal to have a very contrasty, constantly changing soundscape. It's obvious we're not making short-attention-span radio songs. So if by quality you mean how rapidly the music changes (among other things), that's just not a quality criterium for us.

Still, it's valuable feedback. It's always a challenge to know when to break out of a good thing and move into as-of-yet uncharted territory when jamming, especially with an audience. Just tell me if I'm understanding you correctly.