"Group buy" on pro animation suite (spammity)

Legion303

I know there are a few animation enthusiasts here. MessiahStudio 5 is conducting an experiment similar to a group buy. If they meet their (admittedly undefined) goal of license sales, it's $10 for the regular version and $40 for the pro version (normally about $500 and $1200 respectively). If they don't meet the goal, everyone gets a refund:

http://www.projectmessiah.com/x6/shop.html

I was skeptical when my brother told me about this, but the company has been in business for a decade, appears to be doing well enough financially (i.e., this doesn't look like a desperate money grab before bankruptcy) and has happy customers. I'm in for a Pro license.

Caveats: it's just an animation (kinematics, rigging, rendering) suite. You'd have to create the models in a separate program and import them. Supposedly you can do this in Blender for free, but I haven't looked into it. The program also uses a dongle (license can be installed to any USB key) for copy protection, so you'd be giving up a port just to run it.

This experiment has been likened to viral marketing, but it seems more like word-of-mouth marketing.

Full disclosure: I have no affiliation with anyone from the company at all. I do think it's a great deal and definitely want a full license myself.

The program also uses a dongle (license can be installed to any USB key) for copy protection.

I find that absolutely ridiculous, not about giving up a port, hell I already do that with a variety of "Books", but needing a dongle for copy protection in the first place.

If I find the exact same program, working 100% without the silly dongle elsewhere.

Well you know what will happen...

Doesn't sound like a bad deal at all but the dongle, just silly, even if it's less of a hassle compared to some other copy protection methods.

"Congratulations !

We Dared. You Shared. You won.

February 14th 2011

114 Countries. 35,000 hits. 103,000 combined views. Multiple records broken.

In 7 days you have left your mark on the history of the internet, and made a lot of people happy"

Woot.

For the record, I do not plan on using a dongle. But it is nice to have a legit license for such a powerful chunk of animation software. I wonder how well it integrates with Blender...