Need help breaking down those "disjointed" Electro house songs

Here's an example of what I'm talkin about:

Ok the song is "Kill Everybody" by Skrillex for those who don't trust the link or whatever haha.

Anyways what I want to get out of this is parts like 1:21 where shit gets really "disjointed" is the only way I can describe it. I need help breaking down and analyzing how those sections work. It's like commonplace to do that stuff now, but for whatever reason I can't figure out how they do it so well.

Sometimes, a lot of those synths and fx carry no, what I'm gonna call, "tonal relevance" when they're implemented into songs so I get really confused on how artists even begin to think of stuff like that. Where should I begin if I want to start doing things like that?

If this is still confusing, Wolfgang Gartner does it, Deadmau5 does it, even our very on PR does it in a lot of his stuff and you can hear it in A_rival's(AE) new song so listen to those guys xD.

Well, for one thing, at 1:21 Skrillex adds the actual dubstep bass. I also think that he (she? they?) added a EQ limiter.

That could be part of it. But I think that they first added the dubstep bass rhythm first, then built the rest around it here.

Now, if your asking how they do dubstep bass, my answer is I don't know. But they basically cutoff the volume to add emphasis to the bass. That's the only way I can describe the "disjointed" sound your describing. And I am still not sure if this song should be called "electro house" or dubstep, because it may start out with Electro House/ DnB, but it's mostly dubstep.

And I think IBBIAZ has it nailed down on your question.

Make some sick bass patternz in Massive (preferably with the wobble), cut them up, paste them together. Then marvel at your electro dubstep genius.

... That's one way to do it... icon_eek.gif

No, seriously. I see what tefnek is saying.It doesn't mean I can do what he says because I don't have fruityloops or even the awful Reason and I don't have Massive either because I am a very cheap person

Even if you don't have Massive, you can achieve this crazy bass crap with a good deal of synthesizers, if you (sort of) know what you're doing.

When you're talking about the "disjointed" section, then IBBIAZ is right 100%. you cut up a melody and divide each note between different synths, and even split the chords too. Then split up the melody with the dub bass (that's what I am going to call it. Dub bass.) That should be what you are looking for.

EDIT: In the three minutes it took for me to type this, you put your reply below. :)

EDIT:

Edit: Guess that means more dungeon time and less human interaction time again xD.

Always.

Yes. The simplest way to understand it is to take a melody or rhythm, chop out each note, and put each note on a different sounding synth/instrument. That'll get the point the across to your ears. The trick is making it sound good.

yup. goes back to Berg/Webern's concept of klangfarbenmelodie (what a word) where basically, you compose using timbres rather than pitches.

however, since skrillex and his audience is still largely tonal, the trick is to do it so that it sounds... not like a 12 tone row, haha

so, take a melodic idea, cut it up, and start adding things in the gaps. I keep trying to demonstrate this in a video, but it's rather difficult to say why exactly you choose to put a certain sound where... just takes some experimentation.

you can also try to "sing" these sound effect passages out loud, then try to recreate them on your synths... this is actually how I start most of my fidget stuff.

also, try not to go overboard with the cutting once you start... for an idea of its proper use listen to wolfgang rather than skrillex...he sounds like you're changing a radio station to a house beat most of the time.

edit: here's one of my new favorite tracks that demonstrates a more melodic style of splicing, rather than skrillex's kitchen sink approach

This song theory wise,is not even close to being dub step, just really agressive electro house and it sounds sick.

and by disjointed, im not sure if it lacks connection, just a bit more broken down :P

(and people stop naming genres after synths, people have been using lfo synths b4 half of the kids in these fourms were born)

yup. goes back to Berg/Webern's concept of klangfarbenmelodie (what a word) where basically, you compose using timbres rather than pitches.

however, since skrillex and his audience is still largely tonal, the trick is to do it so that it sounds... not like a 12 tone row, haha

so, take a melodic idea, cut it up, and start adding things in the gaps. I keep trying to demonstrate this in a video, but it's rather difficult to say why exactly you choose to put a certain sound where... just takes some experimentation.

you can also try to "sing" these sound effect passages out loud, then try to recreate them on your synths... this is actually how I start most of my fidget stuff.

also, try not to go overboard with the cutting once you start... for an idea of its proper use listen to wolfgang rather than skrillex...he sounds like you're changing a radio station to a house beat most of the time.

edit: here's one of my new favorite tracks that demonstrates a more melodic style of splicing, rather than skrillex's kitchen sink approach

There's this one guy who goes by the handle nzmusic101 on youtube. I've been checkin out some of his videos and he's got a pretty good approach to what I was talkin about. All it takes now is to absorb the stuff from this thread and his videos and I should be making gold in no time haha xD. Thanks again guys =D.

@Sonic - Not quite sure what you meant with labeling genres after synths lol =/.

I like Mord Fustangs approach. I hope people go back to that because while I do enjoy skrillex's style, it does get out of hand sometime. I like more melodic approaches like the guy you linked us to. Thanks for showin me that PR.

I also think about how these types of sections get produced. For me I'm more curious about managing the workflow with all the different sounds than the producing of the sounds themselves.

For instance, if I listen to a Datsik track I sometimes think "How many voice tracks would he use for this section?" And then lay that down on top of a dozen or so percussion hits and samples. I just HATE having to scroll up and down a lot with channels/tracks. There are some timbres that only get used as half-second shots and I would rather integrate all the little odds and ends into one single track.

I just HATE having to scroll up and down a lot with channels/tracks. There are some timbres that only get used as half-second shots and I would rather integrate all the little odds and ends into one single track.

you would hate seeing some of my project windows.... :D

also, once you're happy with a section you can always bounce it so that it is just a single track.