Zelda - Gerudo Valley (Dubstep Remix)

lukeraith

Hi, i've just finished a gerudo valley remix which i reckon youll all enjoy, but feedback is important because it helps/encourages me!!

Gerudo Valley Remix - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67H1dPaCAbA

I've done a song of storms dubstep remix in the past too, which can be found on my soundcloud along with the download for gerudo valley -> http://www.soundcloud.com/lukeraith

The intro sounds silly. :D The guitar replacement's sequencing sees really mechanical, and it sounds weirdly EQd and detuned. The synth brass also sounds more like a cheap replacement for real brass than a deliberate synth choice.

The wobbly bass is too loud imo. Not familiar enough with dubstep so can't say how it compares to other tracks in the genre, but to me it sounds too loud, specifically its mids sound overly prominent. I don't think the bass is supposed to get completely in the way of the drums. :P Some better separation between instruments would help a lot.

With the right eq edits to the track, it makes a cool track, I'm just not sure it's for ocr, its source content is pretty conservative. I could be wrong tho. :)

Has some potential. Like previously stated, you should do something about the mechanical sounding guitars. Though that doesn't actually bother me that much.

As far as the actual dubstep part goes. I'd make the wobble lower. It's supposed to be bass. At the moment it's coming across as more like just loud annoying mid range wobbles. It's also got a pretty dull rhythm, to the point where I wouldn't miss it if you took out all the wobbles from the track completely lol. It's not like you have to follow the exact same wobble rhythm sequence the two times they play.

I'm gonna go on a branch here that actual Dubstep fans may disagree with. The key part to a dubstep is 1, the quality of the bassline/wobble notes. and 2. The rhythm of the wobble itself.

wobwob wobwobwobwobwob wobwobwob wobwobwob, rinse repeat.:|

no thanks.

Skip to the end if you want just the recommendation

--------

If you're looking for some ideas that might help you think outside the box,

Listen to Excision's Warning track.

It's very creative in rhythm.

Though this track may be more relevant for you

A Dubstep by Kush, I think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JXZca2A02c

It could be considered uninteresting but the oriental-like melody that occasionally plays and the smaller details in the bassline make it into a good song. It shares something interesting with your track, neither has what could be considered a hard drop.

---

I think you should increase the quality, fix the EQ problems going on, and do something with that wobble so that it's less annoying, actually goes somewhere or is at least more interesting. The quality of the notes is really hurting this. I first listened to the youtube version and that was brutal, the soundcloud version is a little better.

That's my thoughts on it at least.

Let's look at your selection for a moment: Gerudo Valley. If this gets approved (which I doubt it will in its current state) it will join the ranks of the dozens (okay, nine (that survived the standards purge)) of existing Gerudo Valley remixes...and I must ask why the fascination with the track? Is there some illusory "Easy Mode" on it? I get that it's catchy, but so is the Hyrule Field theme.

What I look at when I'm listening to WIPs is not how good the remix is technically--I don't give a damn if elements of it sound 'low quality' because let's face it I don't have an ear for the subtler nuances of composition--but rather at 'has it been done before and if so how frequently?'.

Granted, I'm not up to the task of counting how many Gerudo Valley mixes are on the Workshop board at this very moment but this is definitely one of them. Not that I'm trying to knock you down but I'm just suggesting that if this one doesn't work out for you (which it doesn't seem to be from other comments here) that a different selection may be in order.

Let's look at your selection for a moment: Gerudo Valley. If this gets approved (which I doubt it will in its current state) it will join the ranks of the dozens (okay, nine (that survived the standards purge)) of existing Gerudo Valley remixes...and I must ask why the fascination with the track? Is there some illusory "Easy Mode" on it? I get that it's catchy, but so is the Hyrule Field theme.

What I look at when I'm listening to WIPs is not how good the remix is technically--I don't give a damn if elements of it sound 'low quality' because let's face it I don't have an ear for the subtler nuances of composition--but rather at 'has it been done before and if so how frequently?'.

Granted, I'm not up to the task of counting how many Gerudo Valley mixes are on the Workshop board at this very moment but this is definitely one of them. Not that I'm trying to knock you down but I'm just suggesting that if this one doesn't work out for you (which it doesn't seem to be from other comments here) that a different selection may be in order.

Ice cap...ice cap...ice cap *echoes*

I don't want to offend anyone, but this is quite possibly the most disturbing comment I've read on here. I can't even imagine how someone can have this view point. All you care about is the frequency of a song? What does it matter if a single track has been remixed ten thousand times? The artist doing the remix is trying their first interpretation of the song. Their first. If you've listened to all the remixes of a song and you're getting sick of it, that's your problem and you should deal with it. But it's NOT a valid reason for diminishing someone elses remix. Why bother with music at all if you're focused on what's been done or not done before. Every band plays their songs again and again on tour. Every classical piece has been done thousands of times by thousands of different musicians. The only thing new is the interpretation of the song on the day of the performance and how it varies from one day to the next. The very point of doing a remix is to create your own interpretation of a song and to incorporate your own ideas into a pre-existing track. It's only natural that a number of other people will also try their hand on that exact same source. And some ideas will be similar or even identical.

We give each other constructive criticism with the good intention and hope that it'll maybe, just maybe give the artist some inspiration or will help them fix something that we think was detracting from the quality of their work. The technical aspects and quality are what allow the artist to later concentrate on the mood and feel of the song that they're trying to accomplish. Which in turn is what most people want to hear. A high quality work that is easy on the ears because its been finely polished.

I don't want to offend anyone, but this is quite possibly the most disturbing comment I've read on here. I can't even imagine how someone can have this view point. All you care about is the frequency of a song? What does it matter if a single track has been remixed ten thousand times? The artist doing the remix is trying their first interpretation of the song. Their first. If you've listened to all the remixes of a song and you're getting sick of it, that's your problem and you should deal with it. But it's NOT a valid reason for diminishing someone elses remix. Why bother with music at all if you're focused on what's been done or not done before. Every band plays their songs again and again on tour. Every classical piece has been done thousands of times by thousands of different musicians. The only thing new is the interpretation of the song on the day of the performance and how it varies from one day to the next. The very point of doing a remix is to create your own interpretation of a song and to incorporate your own ideas into a pre-existing track. It's only natural that a number of other people will also try their hand on that exact same source. And some ideas will be similar or even identical.

We give each other constructive criticism with the good intention and hope that it'll maybe, just maybe give the artist some inspiration or will help them fix something that we think was detracting from the quality of their work. The technical aspects and quality are what allow the artist to later concentrate on the mood and feel of the song that they're trying to accomplish. Which in turn is what most people want to hear. A high quality work that is easy on the ears because its been finely polished.

I couldn't agree more!

I don't want to offend anyone, ...all the way to... A high quality work that is easy on the ears because its been finely polished.

Life isn't fair, but honestly, this is true. People just stop hitting up the WIPs with predictable sources. You may have the best damn Ice Cap remix ever but it'll just get ignored on the WIP forums for being "another Ice Cap remix". You can argue the hell out of this all you want, it's just what happens.

I agree with what Ramen4ever said about the bass rhythm/sequencing. You'd need a bit more LFO wankery on it if you expect it to stay catchy. I suggest sequencing the note pattern independently from the LFO automation.

Also, percussion is often overlooked in this genre.... add a few sections where the beat plays off the bass rhythm and vice versa (that Exicision tune is a good example). Having bouncier sections keeps the energy from going stale, and you have more complex articulation going on in your instruments. Basically, you'd want to treat them as you would drum or guitar solos.

man i love jazzsteppa, taylor rain is awesome, but these are the best in the business, therefore extremely hard to imitate their styles, cheers for the kind words before though! The majority of the people that like my other zelda remix are from the usa, who enjoy the wobwobwobwob stuff, so i thought its best to satisfy the audience! but i admit, my weakness in production is mastering, i haven't read up on it, only taught myself through trial and error! but im taking all the constructive criticisms on board, thanks! :)

also, what does ice cap mean??

also, what does ice cap mean??

Ice Cap Zone

A stage in Sonic 3

Everyone loves that damn tune for some reason even though its just a catchy chord progression with a single melody.

Also it has a similar rhythm to Smooth Criminal, making it the one pegged as a Michael Jackson composition on Sonic 3.

Hope this helps.