forum subsections

Zerizaki

is it really that effective to post in recruit/collab? im always browsing the site, and its one of the few sections that barely have people viewing them, i'm not suggesting that you go out of your way to do something about it, but it's just an observation, and makes me wonder why its not viewed more often. i've noticed some pretty interesting threads there, for example the dynamite headdy project.

give the sections a little more love is what im saying (dear god i sound like a hippy. peace.)

is it really that effective to post in recruit/collab? im always browsing the site, and its one of the few sections that barely have people viewing them, i'm not suggesting that you go out of your way to do something about it, but it's just an observation, and makes me wonder why its not viewed more often. i've noticed some pretty interesting threads there, for example the dynamite headdy project.

give the sections a little more love is what im saying (dear god i sound like a hippy. peace.)

Much of the recruitment for projects is done via PM and IRC, which may be why that forum looks underused. If you're interested in something, join IRC and introduce yourself! :P

This is probably the reason. :<

I think it's more a combination of people not being interested, I mean people have got the time, some folks can make a mix in just a few hours eheh, but if it's a project they have no interest in which is probably 98% of them, there lies the problem methinks... Ok, fine, I may be wrong. I do check the Recruitment forum from time to time but there's not a lot that I can do, especially after biting off more than I could chew. :-x Having a link in the forums drop down on the navbar would be helpful.

I would say there are too many of them. Over the past few years, everybody and their cousin, and their cousin's dog has suddenly decided that they want to head up an album project or 6. People get spread out so thin, that their interest wanes as does the initial appeal of "oh hey yeah, a project, cool, I want to be on that!"

Not all projects are bad, and I'm not sure I'd go so far to call most of them a waste of time, but I will say they certainly have grown to congest the traditional function of OCR, and in some cases detract from individuals pursuing their natural interests by default.

I think moving towards smaller albums is a good thing tho. The big ones take time and liek never get liek finished and stuff. On the other hand, the collab/recruit forum is becoming a hotbed for projects and getting in the way of the collabs. ppl wanna do albums because single mixes don't get enough attention.

I think the project explosion is a result of how slow ocr can be. Sub, wait, judge, wait, NO... or YES, wait, post. ppl want their music out there faster than ocr seems capable of posting remixes, and don't necessarily know of any other way to get their remixes out there.

In a way, ocr has become to big and popular for its own good. :D

Also, it's a little frustrating to have taken over a project trying to see it thru to completion while there's a thousand startups rushing past and stealing all remixers. That's how I feel, and that's while sd3 is actually doing quite well, interest/progress-wise. Dragon Warrior, anyone?

But you can't really stop projects. They're a great way to get into remixing and the community, they provide you with feedback a lot faster than subbing to ocr, they're often led by ppl who know how to make ocr-level stuff, they're a way to get your music out there and promoted (well, along with the rest of the album). Why would anyone make non-album remixes that barely get heard? ;)

Despite my obstinate preference for only using aim for feedback, my remixing guide is doing fairly well on the recruit/collab forum, I've gotten a lot of good feedback from ppl who've contacted me about it. The r/c board is functional, but it's a bit of a mess. Kind'a like this post. :D

well that sucks guys, I have been listening to the remixes on the site for a long time now, and loving em. I had no idea that there were this many troubles :/. I would do remixes and stuff, but I have no idea how to make them. I can play a few instruments well,one very well(the guitar), but I'm also in the midst of getting my band together.

anyways, as long as it has nothing to do with money I'll try to help contribute to the site best I can.

But you can't really stop projects.

Remember the moratorium instaured just before the Recruit/Collab section was created?

This won't stop projects being made, but it can at least prevent new ones from being created every morning. xD

It's become more of a compulsive creation/publication/consumption process as opposed to the ritual of appreciation following years of anticipation it once was.

Don't get me wrong here: more quality remix albums getting released is a wonderful thing.

But we just don't have the same amount of time to enjoy each and every one of them thoroughly anymore, is what I'm saying.

On the topic of subsections, this leads me to: why not merge Requests and Recruit?

The purpose is more or less the same, as when you're creating a project you're basically making a request for people to join and remix tracks of a certain game/serie.

Only in the case of projects it's a community effort, which is something OCR seems to encourage.

Plus, if people wanna collab on a request or on a project track, it's bound to happen in the midst of it anyway. :wink:

Remember the moratorium instaured just before the Recruit/Collab section was created?

This won't stop projects being made, but it can at least prevent new ones from being created every morning. xD

It's become more of a compulsive creation/publication/consumption process as opposed to the ritual of appreciation following years of anticipation it once was.

Don't get me wrong here: more quality remix albums getting released is a wonderful thing.

But we just don't have the same amount of time to enjoy each and every one of them thoroughly anymore, is what I'm saying.

On the topic of subsections, this leads me to: why not merge Requests and Recruit?

The purpose is more or less the same, as when you're creating a project you're basically making a request for people to join and remix tracks of a certain game/serie.

Only in the case of projects it's a community effort, which is something OCR seems to encourage.

Plus, if people wanna collab on a request or on a project track, it's bound to happen in the midst of it anyway. :wink:

Instead of encouraging the meaning and purpose of projects to change, we should encourage people to reconsider starting a project just because they can.

Merging Requests and Recruit would create more confusion than clarity, IMHO. They have two distinct functions:

Request is asking someone else to do something, not for you as part of a collective but because its something you want to hear. You don't necessarily want to have a hand in it, or exert any kind of effort whatsoever. It's just like "hey, there's this song, someone should remix it". Recruit means you're actually trying to lead something, more than just potentially a single mix, and organize a collaboration of people for a common goal of some sort. I can see what you're getting at, but it really is best to leave these two separated.

What needs to happen is to have people stop trying to make new ones left and right and to understand that restraint is necessary when it comes to these things. Too much of a good thing drains the remixer talent pool and distills what makes projects stand out. I guess what I'm saying is that the word "project" should NOT be synonymous with "compilation". There really should be something more to a project.

Jimmy hit the nail on the head with this:

"Not all projects are bad, and I'm not sure I'd go so far to call most of them a waste of time, but I will say they certainly have grown to congest the traditional function of OCR, and in some cases detract from individuals pursuing their natural interests by default."