Crysis 2 pirated a month before launch

Modus

http://kotaku.com/#!5758399/crysis-2-has-been-leaked-creators-deeply-disappointed

Whatever you think of EA, this is bullshit. It's claimed to be an "early build", but it's playable from beginning to end, including multiplayer.

I'm a poor college student with a part time job, and I find a way to pay for all of my games. if you can't pay up, you suck at life.

People who want to pay for the game will still buy it, including those playing the leaked copy. They just get to play it earlier than expected. People who don't want to pay, wont. Any proclamation that sales are "lost" via piracy is silly. Sales either will STILL happen, or would never have happened in the first place. Games are quite often leaked months ahead, they often go on to sell millions anyways. Nothing newsworthy here honestly

I for one like to see "Beta" versions of games leaked, since its interesting to see what the game looked like during its development. Though its disappointing its probably just an almost completed build of the game at this point

A full version of a major game, a month early, is unusual.

definitely newsworthy, especially considering the schadenfreude going around, knowing Crytek still has an open wound that their first game was so heavily pirated. oh, how we enjoy failure.

I don't buy that pirates wouldn't buy the game if they couldn't pirate. i call bulllllshitttt

Its pretty common place actually. Especially on major games. Maybe you just aren't familiar with the scene

Considering there are quite a few pirates who don't even PLAY the games they download (Archivers), why would one, if they had no intention of ever buying it, suddenly BUY it just because it wasn't available? Its not like they have a limited supply of game selection.

The first game had more things to worry about than piracy. Piracy is just an easy scapegoat to blame things on when your game has many other problems on why its not selling. EVERY game is pirated. Some go on to sell more than others. Piracy is a fact of life, and should be just ignored. It doesn't equate to lost sales at all

paging jackkeiser to this thread

yeah guys let's have a redux of the worst thread in recent ocr history

good idea

What, paging me? :trollface:

Honestly, I don't really care about this too much. The pirates have performed their service for the world, case closed. Can't take it off the nets now, and it will still sell anyway, if its a good game.

As has already been said, piracy =/= lost sales 1:1, doesn't really matter in the grand scheme, etc. Couldn't pirate it if I wanted to, anyway; my PC is on its last legs as it is. I doubt a rig that's having trouble running two flash pages at once is going to be able to handle Crysis 2. :(

The early leak might hurt sales somewhat, but I doubt it would be anything substantial.

For instance, I'm planning on getting Marvel vs. Capcom 3 this week. Let's say that a version of that was pirated and released online last month. If I downloaded it and it was good, I'd still buy the game. Some people probably wouldn't, but I'd think the majority of the game's fanbase would want to buy that physical copy.

However, if upon downloading it, I discovered the game sucked (and not just because it's a beta/prerelease buggy version), that might change my mind. But reviews could have the same impact.

In the end, while they may lose out on some sales, I think a lot of people would agree that it won't be particularly devastating to the company.

...so is the game any GOOD?

I mean, that's ultimately my question here. Official release or not, does it bother to address the issues from the first game

I will answer a non-biased "definitely" to that. How good is the execution of their new ideas? I don't know.

Multiplayer is being developed separately from single and supposedly it combines the best things about Halo and CoD. You use the suit to go invisible, run faster, you can do this kickass slide-n-shoot thing. There's so much to the multiplayer that I seriously doubt it could be properly balanced.

They couldn't afford to hire an attractive person so this nerd will tell you everything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY4owHqMl7Y

I'm going by the videos I've watched and interviews with the devs. I have not played the game.

Oh okay so you have no idea if its a good game then.

I can watch videos of games all day too, I wont KNOW its good until I've played it, or at least until some reviews come in which I could base if its good or not. Looks can be deceiving. Developers are of course, going to say the games great: They want it to sell. Doesn't mean its truthful

Looks like a good game =/= IS a good game.