Need new monitors.

I bought a pair of M-Audio BX5a's to monitor my Mackie Onyx 820i mixer and I get like ZERO low end! I didn't realize my mistake til days after the return policy. They're not very good for mixing at all.

Can anyone recommend a pair of good speakers? Like maybe 300 to 400 dollars and up? I play a lot of rock and metal (but not limited to those genres).

Suggestions are most welcomed.

I bought a pair of M-Audio BX5a's to monitor my Mackie Onyx 820i mixer and I get like ZERO low end! I didn't realize my mistake til days after the return policy. They're not very good for mixing at all.

Can anyone recommend a pair of good speakers? Like maybe 300 to 400 dollars and up? I play a lot of rock and metal (but not limited to those genres).

Suggestions are most welcomed.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/KRK-Rokit-Powered-5-Generation-2-Powered-Studio-Monitor--Each--104908710-i1403132.gc?source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=439935285

cheap and well more then worth it.

im using crap headphones now but i will get moniters soon, prob more expencive krk

Before you jump into buying something, I'd recommend you consider the fact that you can only get so much low-end sound from speakers this small. Monitor sets this size simply can't put out low end sound.

Now, I'm by no means an expert in the hardware field, but I've heard generally positive things about the bx5a's. Overall, they should be a decent pair of monitors for the price range. Personally, I use the KRK 5's that Sonic linked and am very pleased with them.

I'm sure someone else can chime in with more information, but from my understanding, you're either gonna have to go to bigger monitors or a subwoofer if you're looking for better low-end support.

Before you jump into buying something, I'd recommend you consider the fact that you can only get so much low-end sound from speakers this small. Monitor sets this size simply can't put out low end sound.

Now, I'm by no means an expert in the hardware field, but I've heard generally positive things about the bx5a's. Overall, they should be a decent pair of monitors for the price range. Personally, I use the KRK 5's that Sonic linked and am very pleased with them.

I'm sure someone else can chime in with more information, but from my understanding, you're either gonna have to go to bigger monitors or a subwoofer if you're looking for better low-end support.

Its def recommended to use a subwoofer built in moniter or external for low end, but there a tad more pricey.

op save some cash first then buy moniter, thats what im going to do, save up ike $500-600 to open up your choices

well, since i already ahve the BX5a's i might as well get the sub cause i dont think bigger speakers will fir in this tiny ass room of mine. i'll see what I can manage.

I wasn't gonna jump right to guying though. I knew someone would mention another option. I appreciate that.

I know Fostex makes a specific subwoofer for monitor setups (don't have a link at the moment). You have to be careful, though, as you'll need to correctly balance the levels between your monitors and your sub. If you're not consistent between the set, you're going to have an inaccurate reference point.

Let's keep in mind that even 8" monitors aren't necessarily going to give you a lot of low frequency extension and when mixing, you're looking for accuracy in your monitors, and BX5A's (of which I have a pair as near-fields) actually seem to overemphasize the low end...The ideal here should be getting mixes that translate well to other systems, so accuracy in your monitors should be prized over them "sounding" a certain way. You might come across people raving about their "terrible-sounding" monitors, and this is what they actually mean.

Adding a sub like the SBX10 would certainly give you more thump and kick when you're listening but that doesn't really mean you'll have a more accurate representation of what's going on in the mix. Treating your room properly will give you significantly more benefit per dollar than dropping money on alternate monitors or a sub. Do you have any acoustic treatment in your room?

Let's keep in mind that even 8" monitors aren't necessarily going to give you a lot of low frequency extension and when mixing, you're looking for accuracy in your monitors, and BX5A's (of which I have a pair as near-fields) actually seem to overemphasize the low end...The ideal here should be getting mixes that translate well to other systems, so accuracy in your monitors should be prized over them "sounding" a certain way. You might come across people raving about their "terrible-sounding" monitors, and this is what they actually mean.

Adding a sub like the SBX10 would certainly give you more thump and kick when you're listening but that doesn't really mean you'll have a more accurate representation of what's going on in the mix. Treating your room properly will give you significantly more benefit per dollar than dropping money on alternate monitors or a sub. Do you have any acoustic treatment in your room?

Unfortunately, the only treatment to the room Im in is the insulation in the walls. beyond that, no i have none.

Speaking of room treatment, is there a cheap roundabout way to get at least a little better room sound? It'd be good for my acoustic stuff.

indeed but, but most people dont treat there room unless there dealing with lots of heavy mixing or reverb mixing.

but i do recommend he finds moniters that covers solid low ends

I had an old pair of M-audio monitors until this past summer. I can't remember the model but they were one of the first 5in monitors that they made. I upgraded to a pair of KRK Rokit 6's which are $200 each. With the KRKs, I finally started hearing more of the low end in my mixes and I had a lot easier of a time fixing problems with things getting muddy.

Unless you have a well set up room, I do not recommend getting a subwoofer for mixing. They can overhype the low end and make things even more difficult for you. The KRK Rokit 6's are ported in the front and that helps out with the low end quite a bit. The BX5a's are ported in the back which throws a good bit of the low in right into the wall (if your desk is up against a wall).