Chrono Trigger - "Corridors of Time"

Dalkaen

WIP 1:

http://soundcloud.com/dalkaen/chrono-trigger-corridors-of

WIP 2:

http://soundcloud.com/dalkaen/corridors-of-time-take-2

WIP 3:

http://soundcloud.com/dalkaen/labyrinthine-corridors-some

This is my first attempt at creating an arrangement like this, but I like how it has turned out so far. I would like to continue to polish it, but I need some constructive criticism, I think.

The vast majority of you are familiar with the source material, but I will include it here for completeness:

I'll help you out. :)

The premise of the song is very good; it's a very soothing and relaxing rendition. I don't think you even need percussion in there. That being said, this is a very "safe" remix, meaning there isn't a whole lot of deviation from the source despite the unique intro and some other bits thrown in. Because this piece is sparsely populated with instruments, you need to make sure what's there is appealing and interesting. As it stands now, this is more of a background track, which is fine if that was your intention.

As far as sound, I hear some mild distortion in my left speaker on the release of your synth pad; I'm not sure if that's intentional, but it's a little distracting.

Take aways:

- Add some more instruments to your soundscape. Perhaps a light piano part or something would add some meat to it.

- Check your sound levels regarding that distortion.

I must say, after a second listen, I'm really enjoying the vibe of this. Add a bit more original material and a few more parts and you just might be good to go.

Minimalism well executed (which is, in fact, a style that Yasunori Mitsuda himself is fond of). Nice work!

The pad/sine wave is a bit loud and grates on the ears after a while. I'd recommend either -3db'ing it or making the reverb a bit wetter on it to help with that issue.

At 2:30 where the melody comes in, it's a bit quiet compared to the other leading sounds going on.

It takes a while for things to start happening, and regardless of a minimalist approach or not, you need to find a direction for this to go. The first 2 minutes utilize the same sounds, same feel, and practically the same notes. It isn't until around 2:30 until things noticeably switch up. I'm a fan of longer songs, and this is a fine foundation for the first 3 minutes or so, but it still needs some spice - something to make it pop and catch peoples attention.

Lotta wips based on this source here atm. :D

Clipping, or some other kind of distortion. Avoid it. Also noticeable compression. Again, avoid it. In other words, it's too loud.

Gonna echo the other two posters here, it's a bit too conservative in the first half. See what else you can do with the source. There's also something about the mixing that bothers me, possibly how prominent the delays on the lead are compared to the other tracks. Could just be how empty the track is, which one of DL's suggestions should solve.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

I'm working on the clipping right now; I think I might have eliminated it somewhat. After listening through it again a few times, it does seem pretty loud.

I'm also going to work on the first half. I've got an idea on how to expand on the intro, thinking about incorporating the bell melody from the original.

Alright, second version:

http://soundcloud.com/dalkaen/corridors-of-time-take-2

I've decided to take it in a different direction. I haven't altered the first half much aside from completely changing the drums, but I have tried to reduce the clipping/distortion as much as possible. Any thoughts on this direction? Shouild I try something different? Still no ending yet, apologies for the abruptness.

• 2 weeks later...