*NO* Arkanoid 'Galway is God'

djpretzel

Email sub file Arkanoid_Galway_is_god_OC_ReMix.mp3 - djp

Song name - Arkanoid Galway is god

Remixer - Infamous aka chris nunn

Original - Martin Galway

Details - imagine/ocean software 1987 commodore 64

sid details - can be found at http://www.hvsc.c64.org/Downloads/Galway_Martin/Arkanoid_PSID.sid.

My website - http://www.infamousuk.com

Arkanoid mixes are always hard to pull off, mainly because the original is so simplistic. However, I think Infamous did a better-than-average job with this one. I like the overall production values: mastering, effects, volume levels, drumwork, and so forth. A few of the synths, particularly the one playing the arpeggio pattern, do get a little old after awhile, but that's not a big deal. My main problem here is that there is not much of a 'focus' in the arrangement. It's clearly an Arkanoid mix, and it's got improvisation and variations, but I feel like it isn't going anywhere. There is no strong melody line anywhere - eg. all the parts seem to blend together with no emphasis on any one pattern. According to Larry, there was an older version of this where this problem was not as bad (or not a problem at all), so perhaps resubmitting with that might be a good idea.

It IS an enjoyable mix, and I think it's very close to passing our guidelines, but my vote is a NO for now.

http://exotica.fix.no/tunes/archive/C64Music/Galway_Martin/Arkanoid_PSID.sid - Subtune 1/20

I remember talking to Chris this past summer about this mix, since I liked it so much. Pimped in back when the original version of this came out in late May, and played it on VGF30 as soon as I hit the radio again that fall. I had so in-depth critique on it back when I talked to Chris on EFNet, but lost it when the old comp died.

Before I ever joined the panel, I figured this was a close shot, but not yet ready for primetime. There were basically two slight changes here compared to the first version available at VGMix & R:K:O, that being the vox was brought up more at 1:55, and the phasing notes done at 3:12 (very nice).

I liked the basic construction of this; the groove was steady, but held my attention and developed in a slow but deliberate manner. I really liked how this arranged the second half of the source tune first, before moving to the first half.

The one thing I told Chris about that I felt needed to be looked at was significantly punching up the more melodic bits, as they're really obscured. That never happened, as they're mostly in the back the whole time. Bringing up the vox was a cool move and filled the track more, but served to obscured the more important elements even more.

onna have to place some of the more engaging, quasi-melodic compenents in the forefront in order to get a YES. Too bad; I told Chris to holler at me if and when he was going to resub this, but I didn't thear back from him. Nonetheless, go for a resub. Would love to see this make it.

NO (please resubmit)

Man that arpeggio almost never lets up. :( Throughout the first half of this piece, I feel like that's the focus, that's the point of the piece. Not a good thing.

I feel like the melodic bits could be brought out more to give this mix some more focus. That's what it's lacking right now: focus.

Focus focus focus. I feel like saying it more! Focus!

(sorry, I think you get the idea)

Not a lost cause. Tighten up the arrangement and consolidate melodic ideas. Go for the resubmit!

NO

focus