super metroid- lower brinstar remix

mickomoo

EDIT: This is my first remix ever, and it's no where near done. For the most part it's done, but I kinda rushed the ending I guess so I might go back and make it longer. But as of now I wanted to get feedback on the sequencing, the quality of the sound, the mixing, and the composition.

stats.png

Funny how you wanna ask a few questions but there's not a single question mark in your post. :P

Some general observations first: humanize the guitar rhythm and velocities (some strums should be softer), it's not a bad sound but the sequencing is pretty mechanical. Get stuff to sync up, I notice the trumpet notes are a bit too far ahead of the others (having them start earlier to counter a slow attack or just for general humanization is cool, but atm they're too early).

As for the question, bringing out the full qualities it just a matter of giving them their own space and letting the right frequencies through. Because the trumpet's pretty important here, I would start by trying to find the frequency range where its most important frequencies are, and boost those slightly; I'd also cut those frequencies slightly from the other instruments. Then I'd pick another instrument, probably the guitar, find its important frequency range and boost that slightly - unless it's the same as the trumpet, in which case I'd have to shift the eq slightly in different directions to separate their sounds more - and cut the guitar's boosted frequency from the other instruments including the trumpet. I'd do this with all instruments.

Can't say about the arrangement concern tho. Might work, might not work, depending on what you're trying to do and wether you can pull it off or not. In any case, good luck with the mix. :)

Could use some equalization to balance it out a little maybe? the Trumpet sounds like it's just for support after a short while. The guitar chords sound funny to me. I can't quite place my finger on it but they remind me of the sound made when someone does a "chord" or actually a double stop but is actually just playing an Octave. There's nothing genuinely wrong with that but I think it could be made more interesting. This is just me but I'd experiment with doing a non-chord style sequence in the guitars. It could yield some interesting results.Mix it up with chords and non-chords maybe.

The main theme kicks in pretty loud. Which goes back to equalization. though I think it's fine, I would try to fix it up a little though. Sometimes the notes sound like they cut off or are interrupted when it would probably be better to let them resonate out at the end of each little sequence.

I don't know, I may not be very helpful with my ideas here, maybe even the opposite. Overall it could use a little fine-tuning. It's not very interesting, nothing about the song makes me want to listen to it ever again. Unfortunately.... that is my reaction. :(

There is a serenity in this song , a calmness , you don't feel it right from the beginning but as the instruments follow each other into the field , it grows on you , I really love this and I feel it has immense potential. the one thing I would suggest is fixing the timing of the trumpet , sometimes it sounds like its way off. also try adding some reverb to it.

Could use some equalization to balance it out a little maybe? the Trumpet sounds like it's just for support after a short while. The guitar chords sound funny to me. I can't quite place my finger on it but they remind me of the sound made when someone does a "chord" or actually a double stop but is actually just playing an Octave. There's nothing genuinely wrong with that but I think it could be made more interesting. This is just me but I'd experiment with doing a non-chord style sequence in the guitars. It could yield some interesting results.Mix it up with chords and non-chords maybe.

Yeah the trumpet starts playing the midsection after the beginning, then a part I made up, I'm still trying to decide what role it should actually play. As for the guitar, yeah it's not playing cords you're right. I believe in the original song the bass alternates between playing Eb E and Bb B, so I had the guitar play them together at some part. I was thinking about mixing up the cords but I figured with another guitar leading it could get messy, I wanted to be as conservative as possible I guess. I'm reworking the song so I'll see what happens.

The main theme kicks in pretty loud. Which goes back to equalization. though I think it's fine, I would try to fix it up a little though. Sometimes the notes sound like they cut off or are interrupted when it would probably be better to let them resonate out at the end of each little sequence.

Are you referring to the lead specifically? I kinda noticed that guitar tended to play short and I'm going to re-record it. Or were you talking about in general, including the other instruments?

I don't know, I may not be very helpful with my ideas here, maybe even the opposite. Overall it could use a little fine-tuning. It's not very interesting, nothing about the song makes me want to listen to it ever again. Unfortunately.... that is my reaction. :(

It's cool, I merely appreciate that you took the time to give me feedback, even if you didn't enjoy the song lol. I know it needs quite a bit of fine tuning, also I'm supposing the fact that I kinda rushed to an ending so soon kinda kills any mood you can derive from the song, well at least for me. Is there anything I could specifically do to make it more interesting. This is a genre of music I typically don't write... or listen to so I was kinda conservative and hesitant with this arrangement. I think variation would help. I'm thinking that if I make it longer I'll have more time for variation.

There is a serenity in this song , a calmness , you don't feel it right from the beginning but as the instruments follow each other into the field , it grows on you , I really love this and I feel it has immense potential. the one thing I would suggest is fixing the timing of the trumpet , sometimes it sounds like its way off. also try adding some reverb to it.

I normally don't write this type of music. I was originally going to do an orchestral remix, but it'd have just ended up like this or this probably (yes, shameless self promotion <_< the first one's better ). I don't know what in the world possessed me to want to do this style, but I want to grow in my composition style so I went with it. It was suppose to be much more bolder, hence the trumpet and the guitar alone in the beginning, but I created two guitar tracks and one of them suddenly gained a subtle drive and created a more mellow and distinct lead, so I decided to go with it. Now I'm thinking I have a better idea of what to do to add to the song, we'll see what happens...

Are you referring to the lead specifically? I kinda noticed that guitar tended to play short and I'm going to re-record it. Or were you talking about in general, including the other instruments?

The main guitar? that comes in after like a minute or so. There's no time stamp that I can find to be more specific. If you listen to the song it's the instrument that when it starts to play, it starts with quite a loud note.

It's cool, I merely appreciate that you took the time to give me feedback, even if you didn't enjoy the song lol. I know it needs quite a bit of fine tuning, also I'm supposing the fact that I kinda rushed to an ending so soon kinda kills any mood you can derive from the song, well at least for me. Is there anything I could specifically do to make it more interesting. This is a genre of music I typically don't write... or listen to so I was kinda conservative and hesitant with this arrangement. I think variation would help. I'm thinking that if I make it longer I'll have more time for variation.

Extending it might work.

here's the idea I personally would go with if this were my song.

I'd try to make that Trumpet theme very smooth, less "cuts" between notes. The higher the quality of the notes, the better. the overall style also, imo, allows for some playing with dragging out notes to accommodate better phrasing if needed.

This is an example.. sort of, of what I mean for the Trumpet.

Except far less mushy. :tomatoface: The key being the quality of the notes, and the way they connect from one note to the next.

Then with the lead guitar, the one that I referred to as having a really loud first note, I'd let the notes resonate out more, instead of being cut so short. Maybe try to create some kind of solo or just an extended variation of the themes it plays.

I'd also try to experiment with the first guitar that plays the chords, to see if I can try to get away from having the same interval between each note in every chord.