Corridors of Time Remix

TheReverend

Hey everyone. I know I already have an active thread on my SM64 remix, but I was just messing around for a while on this WIP and decided I'd like to get the community's thoughts on my work so far.

This is just a short take on the Corridors of Time theme from Chrono Trigger. Let me know what you all think of it.

Source:

My WIP:

stats.png

Edited by TheReverend
New remix link

This is great! :) The ideas are very interesting!

I especially like what you do with the percussion. It's got a great realistic feel to it, and I love that! :)

It might be just me, but I feel like something's missing in the first 19 seconds. I can't say what it is exactly, but anyway. Maybe it's just my personal tastes messing around. ;)

Oh and I'd love to hear those pads a little bit louder! :D I think they deserve more respect in the mix, but again, that's just me. ;)

That's a great start! I can't wait to hear what's coming!

I like everything from 0:00-0:38, it creates an interesting mood that isn't present in the original. The choir pad thing is a bit lo-fi but it can work if applied correctly, which you've kind of done. Maybe consider not having it be constantly present, but rather having it drop out at parts then come back in on notes you want to emphasize. The percussion is nice though.

Everything after 0:38 just sounds like a MIDI rip though, and the sitar sample kind of sucks. Maybe try playing around with the atmosphere you've created before jumping straight into the melody.

Mixing note - I could be wrong but sounds like your bass string is panned right. It'd probably be better off sitting in the middle so it has more presence.

While this definitely sounds cool, I'd echo The Vagrance in saying that it quickly turns into a note for note copy of the original (MIDI Rip). There's still plenty of time to work in some new flavors, just be sure to keep that in mind - the judges are going to want your unique interpretation on the source material, not merely a change of instruments.

Could use some high end percussion as well, a tambourine or shaker or something that'll give it that pristine sheeny sound.

It's off to a good start! Just keep your imagination running !

Strings are really dry compared to the other tracks. And yeah, it becomes conservative fast. That sitar-y sample sounds silly. I like your string quartet-y start, but the focus shifts from that to the sitar. You need more cool ideas (like the intro) for this, it feels like you went conservative because you didn't know what else to do.

Quite a few of these goin' on the WIP boards, eh? I dig that - it's an awesome source. Let's see what's going on with this guy.

Instruments are very dry. I hear some delay on the violins, but it needs a little more reverb on the acoustic channels, there. I also recommend reversing the panning on the violins through bass - from high to low in an orchestra it traditionally goes from left to right, not right to left. It's not a big deal (most people won't care), but it's worth noting. Also, since you're going for more a chamber orchestra effect I'd knock the panning down a notch or two - there's not going to be that much space between the instruments in a real performance.

Very tasteful remix and arrangement, though. I like the drum/string combo, and the light synth choir is a nice touch. The piano arrangement of the theme is nice (and it does take it's liberties with the theme, too, which is nice). I hear it in the background of 0:38 on, as well, and it's really quite cool. Unfortunately, it's very faint. Bring that up a few decibels for us - I'm sure everyone would like to hear the piano wankery that occurs there.

Nice start on this one. The instruments work well in this one, and the arrangement takes it into quite a few nice areas. Waitin' on the next update :-o.

I'm liking the newer version.

I like the new percussive feeling at the very beginning, but it seems to stop pretty early on. I'd recommend keeping that going throughout the track, while mixing up the phrasing a bit to keep it fresh. It's a really cool idea, but it stops as soon as the bongo/conga comes in.

The piano sounds pretty dry at parts, I'd put a touch of reverb there, but keep the dryness at 100% for clarity. Maybe 25-30% wet.

Keep it building, you're progressing well!

I really like how you build this up! It's extremely enjoyable! :)

I really like what you do with the piano, although some parts might be slightly too busy for my tastes (I'm especially thinking of around 1:00-1:14) but it's great as it is. ;)

I like 2:07! I wasn't expecting that C# on the piano (good thing!), but I think I'd enjoy this part more if there was no D appoggiatura just before the C#, but again it's just my tastes ;) I wouldn't want to mess your interpretation!

I can't wait to hear what's next! :)

I must admit, this surprised me at first - I never would have imagined this tune in chamber music style, but it fits surprisingly well. I really like the overall style.

So far, I think the main thing this still needs is just to continue to progress. The bass line continues throughout the whole song, and by about the 1:40 mark it starts to sound a little repetitive. If you could find some way to spice things up between the two piano sections, I think it'd help clean that up. Maybe shift the instrumentation around and put the strings on the melody, or bring the choir pads back from the beginning.

I do really like the piano improvish sounding section around 1:10 - it gives a nice, mellow feel to the melody, without making a verbatim copy. Keep it up! I'm interested to see how this keeps developing.

Edited by Tyler Gill
typos

The piano is kinda loud (could be 3db quieter or so and still be at the front where it belongs), and at points expressionless. I'm not sure if you're punching in each note on the piano or if you're recording it live with a midi controller, but go in there and vary the velocities so it sounds a little more human, and if you're quantizing add some swing.

I like where it's going though! The reverb is sounding nice too, sounds like just the right amount.

Keep going with it, you're doing great!

• 3 months later...

So it's been a few months (more like 4) since I've updated this mix or this thread. There's a bunch of new material in here, in addition to a transition that hasn't quite been fleshed out yet.

Let me know what you all think. The WIP link is on the first post.

Thanks!

Hey Rev, it's been a long time! Glad to see you're back :-D

The new material you added is great! I wasn't expecting things to turn this way, but it sounds just right to me :)

I feel like the timpani you added seem to lack... something. Maybe buffing their basses a little might be cool. Or maybe not. :<

Not the best feedback hahaha but oh well... I hope it helps! :)

Sounded good. But I have to agree DaMonz regarding the timpani. It seems like there isn't enough of a base line to support it, with just the pizzicato strings--like its glaring. Maybe lowering the volume to make it more like a soft rumbling--more like distant thunder than the explosive quality it has now.

Also, the vocal samples you used struck me as midi-esque in quality. But other than that it was good. I like the twist on the melody at the end, especially. You could almost use it as a segue into the "Faraway Times" theme. But that's just speculation on my part. In any case, many kudos to you.

A bit soft, and the strings still sound a touch too dry, at least compared to the rhythm stuff in the intro. Transition to the ending part is a bit weird, but it's a nice, creative take on the melody. Running with the original chords for most of the track and switching radically by the end imo doesn't quite work, a change in the chord progression or key or something would provide some much needed variation to the body of the track. Worth considering, anyway.

Keep going. :D

• 2 years later...

Hey everyone! It's been a good while since I've been active on OCR threads, but I've gotten back into the swing of things and decided to give it another go.

This is a re-upload of an old take on the Corridors of Time theme from Chrono Trigger. I know it's been done again and again, but please have a listen.

A few notes: The last minute or so of the track is just stuff I was writing in an attempt to transition into the Memories of Green theme. The jury is out on if it stays and gets reworked, but I would like your opinion on the first 2:54.

Thanks again guys!

stats.png

Edited by TheReverend
Link to remix

Hey everyone! It's been a good while since I've been active on OCR threads, but I've gotten back into the swing of things and decided to give it another go.

This is a re-upload of an old take on the Corridors of Time theme from Chrono Trigger. I know it's been done again and again, but please have a listen.

A few notes: The last minute or so of the track is just stuff I was writing in an attempt to transition into the Memories of Green theme. The jury is out on if it stays and gets reworked, but I would like your opinion on the first 2:54.

Thanks again guys!

stats.png

I really like it! So much so that I downloaded it. A different take on a much-remixed theme.

The transition doesn't really work in my opinion. It's not so much a transition as it is a "Hold this note for a few beats, then switch songs."

When the piano first comes in everything starts to get really busy and it's hard to pay attention to any one thing at that point. I read an article a while back that said that you shouldn't have more than 5 different ideas running at the same time, and 5 is pushing it as it is. I think it can be done if it's done really well, but for the most part I'd agree that most of the time less is more. When everything quiets down a bit after that first section (before the new transition) it just feels much more cohesive and pleasing because it's easier to follow along. Maybe try and simplify that busy section a bit?