Happy 25th Birthday to The Legend of Zelda!

Mustin

Just to say... I agree that letting other studios handle Zelda isn't a bad idea (just look at the Capcom-made games. They're excellent), but it it doesn't need to be a western developer. Japanese developers can come up with Shadow of the Colossus. Western developers can come up with Elder Scrolls. And honestly, I'd rather let Team Ico, instead of Bethesda, take care of Zelda.

That said, didn't TP let you skip some cutscenes, at least? I remember skipping some, when replaying the game. Either way, "not skipping cutscenes" isn't a trademark of the Zelda series.

But silent protagonists are, and you can't possibly convince me that Link suddenly talking would be a good idea.

As for lack of voice acting... The only problem I see is with Link's name. Anyway, lack of voice acting doesn't bother me. I don't see why it would bother anyone.

And I don't remember who said that text in videogames isn't needed anymore, but I completely disagree. Voice acting is nice and all, but it can't replace nice, clean, text.

Anyway, I find the lack of Spirit Tracks love a bit baffling. Not just in this thread, but in general, you know?

Anyway, lack of voice acting doesn't bother me. I don't see why it would bother anyone.

And I don't remember who said that text in videogames isn't needed anymore, but I completely disagree. Voice acting is nice and all, but it can't replace nice, clean, text.

I agree. Link's lack of voice is part of the charm anyway.

Anyway, I find the lack of Spirit Tracks love a bit baffling. Not just in this thread, but in general, you know?

I played spirit tracks. Almost to the end boss before stopped. I wasn't impressed. I quite strongly disliked the game "railroading" me into it's plot :<. Ok, so it doesn't railroad you that much, but the bonus stuff is no fun because you have to "drive" that friggin' train everywhere you go. Oh, and the plot isn't really all that good...

Well, I'm not necessarily saying Link needs a voice. Look how well Half Life 2 came out. I would want the dialogue to take that approach. People talk to you, but your actions do the talking.

Half-Life is in first-person, though, whereas Zelda is third-person. For me, because I could see Link running around, I never really felt like I was Link. He was just a puppet I could use to interact with the world. Technically that's also true of Gordon, but I saw that world through Gordon's eyes. That's what made the difference.

Also, voice acting has another problem; In every Zelda game I can remember off the top of my head, you can name your save file, which becomes Link's name. Yeah, a lot of us stick to the default, but the option has always been there. So you either need a text-to-speech script that parses the character's name, or leave it out of the dialog entirely.

They did that in Baten Kaitos, where a character would speak a line of dialog and just skip the player's name where it appeared in the accompanying text. It was awkward, and broke the immersion for me every time it happened.

I played spirit tracks. Almost to the end boss before stopped. I wasn't impressed. I quite strongly disliked the game "railroading" me into it's plot :<. Ok, so it doesn't railroad you that much, but the bonus stuff is no fun because you have to "drive" that friggin' train everywhere you go. Oh, and the plot isn't really all that good...

The main plot is pretty basic, but I love how the game doesn't take itself too seriously. Zelda, in particular, is a very amusing character this time around.

"Come on, Link, we need to hurry to the top of the tower!"

*I choose "To save Anjean, right?"*

"...Uhh... Yeah! That's totally what I meant, yes!"

As for the driving...It's a complaint I never understood, just like Wind Waker's sailing. In TP, you ride your horse, in most Zeldas, you walk everywhere... But the train and the boat are hated methods of transportation. I mean, I can see why the evil trains can be bothersome, but still...

Too bad you missed an awesome final boss sequence, though (as well as an awesome optional boss, probably)

I hope we can agree that the game has good music, though.

But the train and the boat are hated methods of transportation. I mean, I can see why the evil trains can be bothersome, but still...

Too bad you missed an awesome final boss sequence, though (as well as an awesome optional boss, probably)

I hope we can agree that the game has good music, though.

I actually liked Wind Waker's sailing. It gave a sense of freedom. I hate the train because well... it quite literally puts you on rails. Yeah, it doesn't take itself seriously, but meh, I dunno, I just didn't like it. I couldn't finish it.

And yes, the music was good haha.

Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass are just ok. The problem is that for a large part of both the games it is just incredibly and terribly mediocre. I don't have a real desire to play them again, though I liked Phantom Hourglass a little bit more- mainly because the train travel was pretty slow and boring, and I think that the world in PH was a little more interesting to explore.

But both games did a pretty good job of sucking out all of the wonder and mythos that the Wind Waker world established. Not so much PH, really, but ST has no excuse for just ending the incredibly engaging world of the Great Sea with some boring-ass "New Hyrule" along with its monster-of-the-week bad-guy.

While there were definitely parts of ST I liked (some of the bosses, and some of the dungeons were pretty good, and a much more engaging town experience), it on the whole was just kinda meh.

I really liked Spirit Tracks because it was the first game in the entire series where Zelda didn't get stuck in the role of damsel-in-distress. I mean, yeah, she needed your help to get her body back, but that meant that she was able to tag along with you the whole time and actively help you. And like Jonnas said, her dialogue was pretty darn amusing. I didn't have any big qualms about the train travel, either; I think I inherited my dad's love of model railways, so I rather enjoyed it. :P

Because it's the best-looking 2D Zelda and full of kawaii uguu~

That and it is probably the most refined 2D Zelda experience- they really got things down to a science in that one.

Malon is just chillin' by her horse and cart, bobbing her head from side to side, saying "wanna buy some milk :3? "

And you're like

"Yes. Yes I will buy all the milk, you disgustingly adorable redhead."