The Dubstep Thread

scatterbrain

The genre tags are all house etc :???: Any tune in particular we should listen to?

new james blake is dope bhaugblhaglbuh listne 2 it

Yes! :nicework: James Blake and the Hessle, Hemlock and R&S labels are where it's at for the more garage-y stuff.

From all the 'wubwub' comments, I get the feeling that people have mostly been exposed to American and Canadian dubstep. Personally, I find the excessive mid-range wobble to be grating. If I were on the dancefloor and the DJ dropped a Datsik or Excision track, I'd walk right off... In terms of dubstep, my regular club night tends towards stuff like

and this. (Though there's also good coverage of drum & bass/jungle, juke and techno)

As much as I like Burial and plenty of "chill" dubstep as it were, I just can't get into James Blake. It reminds me of Eskmo, except instead of raw technicality and production there's just a lot of noise and "minimal" elements. Personal taste thing though, I totally get why people like him (the vocal line in "Wilhelm Scream" is killer) but I can't help but get the feeling that a lot of his stuff is more style than substance, and the substance that does exist could've been done better.

As for positivity, Sukh Knight constantly impresses me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE3Kl-SVu9M). Its never complicated stuff, but he nails the vibe in between the reggae/rap side of dubstep and the more club oriented stuff.

As much as I like Burial and plenty of "chill" dubstep as it were, I just can't get into James Blake. It reminds me of Eskmo, except instead of raw technicality and production there's just a lot of noise and "minimal" elements. Personal taste thing though, I totally get why people like him (the vocal line in "Wilhelm Scream" is killer) but I can't help but get the feeling that a lot of his stuff is more style than substance, and the substance that does exist could've been done better.

oh man i love the minimal stuff. klavierwerke is my favourite james blake ep. also i dunno if i would be so quick to sell him short on the technicality, the way he manipulates his samples (esp the vocals) is just...i dont eve nknow. i mean even his more "traditional" stuff (the bells sketch is my fave example), there's a lot going on there. he's such a fresh voice, the way i think of it is like...if burial was r&b influenced dubstep, james blake is dubstep influenced r&b. i just come away from his shit like man, this is 21st century soul music.

Hrm, it's mostly tagged as house etc. :? I listened to the Zelda remix but wasn't impressed. Excessive wobble is excessive.

Yes indeed! Gotta love James Blake! You might also like the other stuff on the Hessle and Hemlock labels.

Judging from the 'wubwubwub' comments, it seems like most people here have been exposed to more American/Canadian dubstep (like Datsik and Excision). The excessive mid-range wobble ain't my cup of tea.

My regular club night tends towards stuff like

and
, as well as a healthy dose of jungle/drum & bass, juke and techno.

scuba is cool i like scuba. generally im not into the more dnb influenced dubstep but they mad good

hey heres some stuff heres some more stuff

Lorn - Cherry Moon

Doshy - Sunset

Ah yes, Lorn and Mount Kimbie's albums were two of my favourites of 2010. Automaton is a TUUUNE! :grin:

On a tangent: I saw Flying Lotus when he toured here last month - amazing.

I've not heard of Doshy before, but that EP title is rather apt! :-P Very much enjoying Sunset! I must look into the label it's on...

I think the only other artist I've heard really combine dubstep and chiptunes is Quarta330. Pretty sure he uses LSDJ or something. A few other artists have hinted at it at times, but not embraced it quite so fully as this.

Hey guys lets narrow electronic music to a set of specific stylistic choices and subgenres, and limit our exposure to music :<

This, but the exact opposite - listen to a ton of music, form what you like, and go from there. :D

Even if you hate listening to something, do it. It's good for you. Builds character.

And I wouldn't say what I do is dubstep... it's influenced by it sure, but I'm not by any stretch of the imagination Noisia... but I do like the wobble from time to time.

http://soundcloud.com/prototyperaptor/dont-close-your-eyes-preview

so that's that.

anyway, stuff to check out:

Noisia

Skrillex

Uppermost (more house than dubstep, but he's just so GOOD)

Porter Robinson (again, more house than dubstep, but he uses the wobble effectively)

Cookie Monsta (

)

Borgore (good for some laughs)

Level 67 is downright disgusting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXas6IsICnE)

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfVguoq7sXE&feature=related)

Hey guys lets narrow electronic music to a set of specific stylistic choices and subgenres, and limit our exposure to music :<

No, we're just narrowing the scope of conversation, not our listening. My Last.fm is linked in my sig, take a look if you like. Not to mention the fact that there's plenty of difference between the artists mentioned in this thread.

WOO! :shock:

This, but the exact opposite - listen to a ton of music, form what you like, and go from there. :D

Even if you hate listening to something, do it. It's good for you. Builds character.

And I wouldn't say what I do is dubstep... it's influenced by it sure, but I'm not by any stretch of the imagination Noisia... but I do like the wobble from time to time.

http://soundcloud.com/prototyperaptor/dont-close-your-eyes-preview

Agreed on that first point. Listen to things, understand and appreciate them for what they are - that doesn't mean you've gotta like them.

That track is great! I haven't listened to much electro house/breaks in a while, but it seems like you've got it nailed!

With the exception of Noisia, I don't really rate the acts that you listed. I've got a special place for Noisia, as they were my very first drum & bass gig- blew my freakin' mind! hehehe :razz: (Supports were d-Bridge and Phace - night was insane!)

can this thread also be used to discuss how much it irritates me to see every kid that attended my high school update their facebook about this new and happening genre that has existed for more than a fucking decade

surely I am not the only one who is sick and tired of I LOVE DUBSTEP HAVE YOU HEARD OF DUBSTEP YOU ARE NOT COOL IF YOU DON'T LISTEN TO DUBSTEP HUH WHAT IS ELECTRONICA THAT SOUNDS GAY MORE DUBSTEP

can this thread also be used to discuss how much it irritates me to see every kid that attended my high school update their facebook about this new and happening genre that has existed for more than a fucking decade

surely I am not the only one who is sick and tired of I LOVE DUBSTEP HAVE YOU HEARD OF DUBSTEP YOU ARE NOT COOL IF YOU DON'T LISTEN TO DUBSTEP HUH WHAT IS ELECTRONICA THAT SOUNDS GAY MORE DUBSTEP

Did you read the first post? Right there, I addressed the fact that it's been around for quite a while, and gave several examples of it throughout its development. (FTR, 'dubstep' only codified around 8-9 years ago, though yes, its roots do extend back 'more than a fucking decade'.)

Yes, I'm tired of that kind of talk too, but that's not the kind of thing this thread was created for.

Protip: Use Facebook's filtering options and hide those status updates.

Quite simply, if you don't like it, don't post. Heck, don't even read the thread and keep the bitterness to yourself.

A conversation for another time/thread is the uselessness of the term "electronica"... heh