Smithsonian Exhibit

noodloid

Forgive me if this is old news to anyone...

The Smithsonian is starting work on an exhibit called "The Art of Video Games" dedicated to showcasing the evolution of video games as an art form over the past 40 years.

http://www.artofvideogames.org/

While their complete neglect to mention music as part of the art in their (admittedly short) description of the project is frustrating, I have no doubt there will be music playing in the background at this exhibit, and I can think of no better group of artists and fans than this community to help provide & decide about that music.

If they are seriously interested in showcasing the art forms in video games, leaving the music out is absolutely unforgiveable. Of course that's just my opinion and the Smithsonian may not agree with me, but if they're as interested in public involvement as that website seems to indicate, this could be a great chance to shine a light on video game music.

It looks like whoever put this together doesn't understand game genres at all

Star Wars: Tie Fighter

Crimson Skies

Diablo II

Can you tell which one is the odd game out? It is going to win in a category it should not even be in.

Also, no super metroid in the SNES adventure category?

It looks like whoever put this together doesn't understand game genres at all

Star Wars: Tie Fighter

Crimson Skies

Diablo II

Can you tell which one is the odd game out? It is going to win in a category it should not even be in.

Also, no super metroid in the SNES adventure category?

The fact that TIE Fighter is not going to win its category saddens me deeply, seeing as it is easily the best space-sim ever made. I'd pay $50 for a graphic/audio overhaul without any extra content whatsoever...that game was amazing.