hard drive died.

Brandon Strader

Dunno if this is the right section but cbs to figure it out on a phone. Also on a sidenote the Ocr mobile site is ugly as duck.

Ok, so I've been without a computer for a couple days now. I played a few hours of tf2 one night, turned comp off to sleep. Next morning I turn it on, talk to willrock on skype for like 3 minutes... I tried to look at the mixpost he mentioned and I got a BSOD. Then it would load slow as heck and never fully work. Anyway long story short, I deleted or transferred 500gb worth of videos, music, libraries. I even had to delete my ocremixes which I could redownload on torrent. I did this in safe mode. It took 20 hours and I slept most ofthaf time.

Today I go to the computer and reboot cause all my stuff is off. Then it works. Im like wtf. Then I run checkdisc and it DIES. I took it out and it has a small crack so I don't know.

Anyway long story short, I ordered a hitachi 1tb 7200rpm whatever new hard drive for like 58$. Is this hard drive going to shot out ohms in 3 months like my last one did? Or will it be good? I will hopefully be making songs and playing steam on it. Also I don't have a copy of win7 that isn't a broken restore disc so I am screwed for a while. My dad might help me get windows in which case I might be back up in a week or two.

Sorry bout the messiness of this as im typing on my droidx.

The absolute best course of action is to always have an external hard drive dedicated JUST to being for hdimage backups. You have a 1 TB in the mail, and once you get it up and running, order a 1 TB external. Windows 7 has a fantastic built-in backup system which, when coupled with a burned backup-restore disc, can get you back up and running if this happens again in no time (or if you switch hard drives and want to get everything back up on that).

If you want more info, let me know. Its always AFTER people's hard drives die that they regret not backing it up, and you got lucky this time being able to recover what you did before it hit the dirt completely. As a musician, losing years of project files and program configurations can be the most frustrating thing imaginable.

Best of luck!

Yeah that sounds really cool I would love to do that. I may actually do that someday. Yeah it's pretty stupid to have a 1 terabyte internal and a 300 gig external, isn't it? I never trusted windows backup enough to really try to hook a system like that up for backups. I'm definitely going to have to look into that though especially now that I'm working on so many giant musical projects. QQ

sorry to hear about your misery, data loss is never a funny or laughing matter.

as for hitachi, i am not too fond of them as i had some bad experiences in the past (back when we all still had PATA, etc.). i do not know how current generations of hitachi drives work though.

the best experiences i had were seagate barracuda or samsung spinpoint drives - at least they never died on me as long as i had them in use.

as for the backup, i do it like this: i have a 640GB disk that has the OS and installed programs, games, etc. and a 1TB disk that contains DATA only. which means: all my applications, games, installers, music archive. i backup all my software and games by writing a disk image (you never know when your super expensive cubase 5 DVD will not be readable anymore...). this harddisk is the one i backup 1:1 to an external 1TB.

my worst cases are either to reinstall the OS and all the software (if the 1st disk dies), or just copy back the files from the external to the internal (of 2nd disk dies). i am pretty fine with that.

hope you got some ideas out of all the posts for yourself. good luck and better fortune in the future, brandon.

cheers,

-luhny

Thanks man! Yeah I will probably consider putting in a second hard drive into the computer for backups. I actually am running the new hard drive now with a install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and Google Chrome, the only 2 things I've got on here so far. I'll probably go towards installing drivers for sound and video next. It's playing audio through the onboard soundcard. :-( I forgot, in my ridiculous setup, where I'm supposed to plug the sound cable into for it to play through the right hardware, haha. There's literally like 4 holes. I feel like a blind man in a brothel trying to figure out which one it goes into.

Ok... Well I had the same BSOD as before, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the RAM, processor, or mobo. I'm trying to make a boot disc to check stuff out but of course, nothing works right, so struggling with that.

My external drive that I copied everything to is also going slow as heck. Sometimes sitting unresponsive for who knows how long. It took about 20 minutes to copy 200mb of files. It wasn't like this before and I have easily over a hundred gigs worth of files to copy or move back on here.. Wtf is causing all these problems?!

The BSOD is DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and it happens randomly.. not extremely frequent but it does happen at inopportune moments. Not necessarily when I'm doing anything, but like, when I hit to post a thread, or finish typing the last sentence, it'll do it then

edit: I hooked up the external with a USB instead of firewire and tested it by copying about 800mb of files, which it copied in less than 20 seconds... so I am thinking it might be a firewire issue, maybe 2 devices is too many. Maybe ONE device is too many. I'm going to leave this USB connected and see if things change.

I have seen DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL dozens of times on XP and Vista systems and it mostly was one of the following:

- One or more RAM DIMMs faulty

- One or more RAM slots on the MB faulty (that took me ages to figure out once)

- GPU faulty

- PCIe slot with GPU in it faulty

In one single case we had a faulty PSU, that was also tricky to figure out.

I suggest you get Memtest86, burn it to a boot disk and test the RAM.

Then, does your motherboard feature on-baord graphics, even though you are using your own seperate GPU in a PCIe x16 slot? You could try to deactive the on-baord graphics card in BIOS.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL on a fresh system is not a configuration problem, it looks like some hardware issue alright.

A BIOS update could also help, but this would be some lucky shot, I have seen 2 cases in my whole life where a BIOS update actually DID something remotely helpful to the system.

cheers,

-luhny

Yeah, this came with an onboard useless ATI Radeon™ HD 3200 Graphics that I later put in a Geforce 9800GT to replace. So you're saying there's a way to actually turn off its functionality? I'll definitely look into that. I tried to burn memtest86 to a CD and it failed. I guess I'll try again later? It's only a 1mb file. x_x meh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As an addendum to dealing with backed up files, it may also be wise to use a backup service like Dropbox

You are allowed 2 gigs for free users, there are ways to increase that to about 15 gigs of space and then can buy a plan for up to 100 gigs more. It is backed up on an Amazon S3 server, and records changes you make to data so even if something goes wrong or you edit and save wrong, you can roll the files back to a previous version. Not as much space as your hard drive, but it could keep the most important stuff you have safer.