-- Game: Final Fantasy X-2

-- Title: From A Dream OC Remix

-- Addtional Information

--- System: Playstation 2

--- Composer: Noriko Matsueda

--- Company: Squaresoft

-- Original Song: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/sony/ps2/eternity.mid

-- Link:

I've been rejected 4 times, 5th times a charm (even though I consider 6 to be my lucky number...maybe I'll change it.) An ambient trance mix to the ever popular intro song to FFX-2 "Eternity".

Enjoy!

http://www.noderunner.net/~llin/psf/packs/FFX-2_psf2.rar - 101 "Eternity ~Memory of Lightwaves~"

Pretty cool stuff for what it's worth. A little too subdued for my tastes, but it offered something different. Not really my thing, as I don't really go for the boom-tss stuff, but that doesn't affect my judgement.

Some of the sounds were basic/generic, but the combinations worked fairly well. I could see why DarkeSword wanted a stronger lead than the belltones here, as they sometimes struggle to be heard prominently during fuller parts of the track. Nonetheless, the sound balance was where it needed to be.

Very stylish arrangement here; the length of the intro given the overall length of the track was excellent. I wouldn't have let the track come to a complete stop at 3:33 as it exposes your samples. Pretty much my only real nitpick there.

Good effort, Andrew, and a good introductory mix if you make it. I could certainly see this one get challenged though. Nonetheless, your persistence in enhancing your skills has been paying off. You've certainly been improving, and I hope you keep it up beyond this mix.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Always had a softspot for the FFX2 soundtrack, so staying objective will be, as you can well imagine, difficult. But I will struggle, if for no other reason that to curry the favor of that deep, dark, phallocentric demi-god we call Pretzel...

...huh?

It's funny how many times the word "subdued" is thrown around in the review of this song. I think it seems to straddle manic and subdued in some rather curious ways. I really enjoy the texture of the sounds thrown together. Very clean, very crisp. Not a loose end in sight.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

this doesn't sound like ambient trance to me.

seems more like the guy was attempting what he misguidedly believes to be 'trance' (or worse, 'techno')

and then after he realized it was long and uninteresting he affixed 'ambient' to it.

this sounds to me like the typical mediocre FL dance interpretations we get.

the difference with this one is that there's nothing clearly 'wrong' with it.

i'm not left with a number of reasons to reject it, but by the same token i don't see a number of reasons to pass it, either.

no

I love the source material and I even tried to mix this twice, so I know this theme by heart.

I'm quite torn with this mix. I feel the production is slightly above average, but the way the whole mix was put together was very nicely done. I think Skrypnyk did a nice job of creating an interesting texture with sometimes only decent samples or synths. What I think this really needs is better processing techniques and more clever use of EQ to go far beyond what it could have been. Still, it's not a deal breaker, I think what's here is acceptable in this regard.

What I do love is the instrumentation, choice of sounds/synths. The mix just has a nice, lovely texture. And as DJP will tell you, I love my bells. The synth bell lead here is quite nice, I wish it were a tad more present in the mix. I also like the bell pads, reminds me a bit of Absynth style synths. The end result in this aspect for me was just a very pleasant listen.

I think your arrangement in some ways was a tad simple. You took a few bars from the melody and repeated it over and over, I think it helps that your genre and the source material fits in this style of context. I do like the work you did underneath the melody though.

Not the most daring mix, but there's not much wrong here. Production and Arrangement is just above the bar in my book, on top of that the result is a very interesting, enjoyable listen for me. Borderlilne YES.

Eh.. this mix is pretty 'timid' overall. The production is solid, but presents absolutely nothing outside of standard dance music cliches. The sounds are pretty bland, partially due to the encoding (VBR next time!) and partially due to the processing, or lack thereof. There are multiple layers of sound, but they tend to simply mud together rather than mix smoothly. More reverb/delay on certain parts could certainly help round out the sound, if used sparingly. Consider using slightly less.. generic sounds as well, if not for your percussion than for your synths. Automation of filter cutoffs, volume, and panning can help too.

The arrangement does expand on the original well, and I don't have much of a problem with that. I do think that you should go back and spend more time on production, specifically the synth sounds and processing, to make the entire mix flow better.

NO, but resubmit.

Now, I have no problem with using sounds that are typical of the dance genre. The oom-tss is as useful to dance as the standard backbeat groove is to rock n' roll. The sweeping filter synths? Totally legit. However, in my opinion, there must always be an attempt to make the standard dance sound your own. I don't think this track succeeds on that front. It's decently mixed, for sure, but like analoq said, it's a typical FL jam that takes no risks and repeats like mad. The alterations done on the repeating sections are not significant enough to make it any different in my ears.

Combined with the static, uniteresting lead - this song is a lot of presets and a little style. More effective synth programming would be most beneficial here, as would a more varied palette of timbres.

NO

-D

• 2 weeks later...

timid is just about the best word to describe this song. it doesn't have any personality - its extremely laid back almost to the point of anonymity. its "cute" but it doesn't grab my attention and is predictable from start to finish

its also a mix that i honestly believe benefits mostly from the source material... the original melody is what makes this work... otherwise, you couldn't tell this from anything else.

sorry, NO

Doesn't seem to have much energy, which, being as this is primarily dance music, is a fairly unfortunate flaw. It's largely unmemorable throughout, in my opinion, and simply fails to hold my interest for the full 5 and a half minutes. I'm perfectly willing to pass genre pieces, but even keeping the limitations and conventions of dance music in mind, this seems mediocre at best.

NO