Killer Instinct - Jago (Dubstep)

Dj Monkay

This song was a favorite of mine from the KI series and i noticed that there wasnt one on ocremix yet so i would like to be able to fill in that spot. I would like to collaborate with whoever wants to get in on the fame. i dont mind sharing.This post is no where near what i wanted to do with this song but i would like any feedback. This was supposed to check to see if the original melody is there and correct so do not mind any of the beats or weird noises. if anybody could take this song to a whole new level be my guest. Well thanks for looking into this and hope u can change this song into something better.

Click here to listen to Ninja Jago.mp3

It's missing bass . Which I believe takes alot from the experience.

Also the lead melody is the only thing you have going and you will need to build on it a bit more . Add some dynamic . some filters. Also compression . the kick and general percussion needs to pop a bit more , right now its only snare and kick , and its not saying much. You have an ok base though , you just need to build on it.

It's missing bass . Which I believe takes alot from the experience.

Also the lead melody is the only thing you have going and you will need to build on it a bit more . Add some dynamic . some filters. Also compression . the kick and general percussion needs to pop a bit more , right now its only snare and kick , and its not saying much. You have an ok base though , you just need to build on it.

You don't need to worry too much about production when you're still developing the mix. Right now it seems to be at a very early stage.

What you should be concentrating on right now is developing the structure of the song, worry about the eq, compression, etc later once you have a solid structure ironed out.

It does lack bass. That's something you'll want to make sure to address. Try some pad's or some ambient sounds to fill out the sound field. Right now it's pretty repetitive, and for only being 1:36 that's saying quite a bit. Mix it up a bit, change the melody, interpret it differently. At the very least change up the instruments so it sounds new.

The biggest thing I can point out to you is change. Change it up, keep it fresh, move things around during the song. If you can keep the listener interested, you'll have a good remix. Once you've accomplished being interesting, then worry about the production aspects.

Thanks for the advice. What i really wanted to do was figure out which direction to take this song in. Trance or Techno? But overall thanks for the feedback. This will motivate me even more to produce better music. I will post a newer version as soon as i can. Thanks for everything.

Thanks to cyprusx and darangen for all of their help. well i couldnt work on this much because of school and stuff but i went with a old school electronic techno kind of way i guess :?. i really didnt do much except for change the instruments and melodies a lil. i am no where near done so please dont take it so. also please disregard the ending.

the problems i have with this song is that it is really short and i would like any feedback in how i can extend the amount of time and progress this song further. I will add many more things to the song but for now this is all i have.

tindeck - Click here to listen to Electro Jago.mp3

btw if anybody wants to hear the original

youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abffmSx8DQM

Any feedback will be great and thanks

It's definitely a challenge taking a small/short source tune and turning it into a 3+ minute arrangement. Some things you may want to try out:

- You could create a progressing intro, holding the melody back for a bit while building up the energy. This works extremely well with techno. That way, when the melody does kick in the listener is getting something new, and it also feels more powerful and refreshing at the same time.

- Non-melodic sections. These are sections in a song that don't use a melody. They're little breaks in the song where the listener gets to take a breather, so to speak, then you can hit the ground running again by bringing back the melody. Oddly, this changes things up enough to keep most peoples interest.

- Similar to the above method, there's the breakdown. This is where you bring things down a bit and drop the energy level dramatically, then build back up again back to the original energy level.

I'd suggest doing a search for bLiNd's stuff here on OCR and giving it a listen. It'd be a daunting task to try and match his abilities, but it'd definitely give you some idea of how you can take shorter source tune and turn it into a 5-6 minute arrangement.

Thanks darangen for still hanging on and helpin out a newbie like me :). Well thanks for the advice about how to extend the amount of time for a song and i looked into bLiNd as well and it really helped a lil on how to rearrange my song. All i really did was create a intro and a lil breakdown drum section. I know i can do better so anymore advice about anything will help but for now i am stuck with no more ideas.

Updated - Click here to listen to Techno Jago.mp3

Hope the song is getting better :|

I am using fruity loops 9. The only things i have are the original vsts, plugins, drums, and stuff that come with it. I agree that the drum breakdown is weird possibly because the transition isnt good or maybe because of what i used (the crazy snares) made it very off putting. What else should i add to make this song more complete and "submitting" worthy (though i highly doubt this will be accepted)?

If anybody wants to collab i could always send the fl file and we can work something out.

• 1 month later...

Ok well its been awhile since i been on here so this is what i have been able to do.

I have been listenin and attempting to make (lately) dubstep music. i dont think i have been successful at this but here is what i have so far. I changed my mix from a techno-ish vibe to dubstep style (please let me know if this even dubstep material or not:<) My main focus for this mix was beats and the dubstep wub wub. Thank u for ur time and hope u like it:razz:.

Latest Work :shock::

http://soundcloud.com/dj-monkay-1/dubstepin-ninja

Wanted to switch to soundcloud to have a timeline

Please comment and critique. Anything will help. :-D

First of all. Yeah it looks like a dubstep track. But you'll need fix your compression setting seriously. Your kick is too much overhelming. It throws ou everything away. Your lead is pretty much hidden in this.

The lead is pretty weak. You could wub it or change the tonality all the way.

Otherwise, good track. And since I'm no pro, Anyone to help this guy out. Dubstep listener please :-D