An idea to boost participation in the PRC

munchi

So, I used to participate in the PRC...like WAY back in the day. Now I just do the OHC. Partly because of the insta feedback/awesome fun times via the listening party that's held on IRC chat at the end of the compo.

I'm wondering if the PRC had a listening party, would this increase participation? Also, I'm kinda thinking of micro-sponsoring the compo, like some cheezy t-shirt as a prize or something. Does anyone think either of those ideas would work? I only fretting cuz the PRC is a great way for new mixers to cut their teeth and old mixers to get in some practice and I'd hate to see it die off sad and lonely. thoughts?

Honestly, PRC needs a couple things...

1. More promotion. As I am typing this Irish asked "what's PRC?"

in ThaSauce irc channel.

2. People need to choose sources that other's will enjoy remixing.

There was a period where people would choose random stuff and I just wasn't interested.

Since I became uninterested, moved on to other things, and forgot about PRC.

JH has had great success with JHCompo because of how much promotion he gives it. JH creates a facebook event for JHCompo, announces it on facebook, and even bugs me on IRC when its about to start.

JH still bugs ME about JHC after I've said a bajillion times no. Probably cause he knows there's just the slightest chance I'll be in the mood on a Tuesday for a compo. It can happen.

I never know when anything is started on PRC. I never knew about doubles dash events until it hit facebook. I'm not saying every compo should be spamming on facebook. But it'd be good to see them given a better presence on OCR at least. Maybe some kind of event calendar where you can click on things you want to be reminded about.

Honestly, PRC needs a couple things...

1. More promotion. As I am typing this Irish asked "what's PRC?"

in ThaSauce irc channel.

JH still bugs ME about JHC after I've said a bajillion times no. Probably cause he knows there's just the slightest chance I'll be in the mood on a Tuesday for a compo. It can happen.

I never know when anything is started on PRC. I never knew about doubles dash events until it hit facebook. I'm not saying every compo should be spamming on facebook. But it'd be good to see them given a better presence on OCR at least. Maybe some kind of event calendar where you can click on things you want to be reminded about.

Generally, as far as compos go, I promotion is left up to the organizer. starla promotes OHC, JH promotes JH Compo, I promote FBRC, and Shael promotes Double's Dash. We all do it in our own way.

ThaSauce's twitter does send out updates when each compo is starting.

I'm open to suggestions to help promote other compos on our compo system, maybe an RSS feed somewhere on the main page if someone can think of a good place?

Additionally, like I brought up after OHC: I am looking for volunteer to do a weekly compo report column for ThaSauce. Applicants must be literate, punctional, and have a good amount of free time. You must cover OHC, JH Compo, and 2HD Compo weekly, PRC and ORC monthly, and DDC occasionally.

The idea is once a week (probably Sunday) you discuss all the compo happenings from the previous week. For example: This Sunday someone would talk about OHC, JH Compo, 2 Hour Dynamic Compo, and Double's Dash. You'd talk a little bit about the themes, the teams, etc. IF you decide to talk about the entries, that's up to you, BUT you have to list ALL or none. You can either list, or give details, but no bias toward any individual compo or entry is allowed.

On the beginning and end of every month you'd also be expected to talk about PRC and ORC. The theme, the deadlines, and the entries.

Things like DoD, the Robot Battle, and Freshly Baked are all big enough at this point to warrant their own individual topics, so you wouldn't have to cover them. I would also VERY MUCH like to have a monthly topic just for the Fan Art Competition, but that's another idea entirely.

If anyone is interested, has any suggestions, or has any questions on the article format and such, let me know.

Some general pimping of the PRC/ORC compos would certainly help. Word of mouth also helps the compos a lot - if you're talking to someone via IRC/IRL/whatever offering them to participate would help a lot. That really helped keep ORC afloat this round, for sure, and I'm betting that would help the PRC compo, as well.

Still, I wonder why there's been such a dry spell on both those compos for so long. Is it that the normal participants have moved on and there's no one to fill in the void? I know that happened on ORC, at least (Willrock, Protodome, where'd you go?!), but others have come to fill that space. PRC just needs some more fresh blood to fill the space, I suspect.

Yeah, it may just be the fact that there's not much of a self-sustaining community of regulars. A listening party would probably reinforce the idea that people are gathering together in compos to help level each other up through feedback and such. At the very least, I plan on participating in PRC and ORC again. It'll make my normal compoing regimen a bit cramped, I can't desert the compos that got me going in the first place.

I don't make it a thing to manually check twitter every day. That would only help if people subscribed to the twitter with the cellphones to get a text whenever a tweet goes through, like we did for that one vegas meetup. If they're tweeting and peeps don't check it, it won't help.. if you gotta put in the effort to check it then they might as well just be checking the website or something... At least if it was listed on OCR in some way, this is a site people'd be checking often enough. :-o Not sayin the twitter isn't a good idea, it is... i'm just not sure if it would be as effective as it would need to be

And would it be bringing in anyone who wasn't a regular? Anyone who didn't know about the twitter from being involved in thasauce already and being told?

I'm inclined to agree with you, people that are interested are already in the know, but why not do both to get new listeners? If a lot of people retweet PRC info, you have chance to capture a lot of people's attention that may not even be aware of OCRemix, even if these people aren't necessarily contributing, but rather listening. A formal, or official OCR mention would be great though. I know there are a lot of people just coming to OCR to download music that never stay beyond clicking a download link. But honestly, Twitter has the capability to bring in a lot of new people that wouldn't otherwise think of checking out OCR, much less PRC.

ThaSauce's twitter does send out updates when each compo is starting.

Retweet.

Alternative:

http://compo.thasauce.net/rss

I'm pretty sure there's individual compo RSS feeds as well, someone would have to ask analoq.

If there ARE, I can try to find better ways to implement them and you guys can make your on twitter account if you think that'll really help.

If there are NOT we can try to add them.

I could also try to schedule facebook updates, but honestly with so many compos I think that might flood ThaSauce's facebook page a bit.

Maybe ANOTHER Facebook page just for compos? But then I feel like THAT page would get spammy with the frequency of compos.

Really you guys need to make sigs, to talk about it. Search the forums every now and then for people looking for similar things in conversation. Find conversations on other sites. There's a lot that COULD BE done, and instead of talking about it, if everyone actually DID IT, it'd help a lot.