Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

lazygecko

I'm really late on the boat, but I finally got the game and have been modding the oblivion out of it.

I consider these essential mods:

Enhanced Shaders WITH Darker Nights (addsmuch more drama and immersion)

Vurt's Flora Overhaul

Realistic Water Textures

Enhanced Night Sky

Cutthroat Merchants (Makes items sell for much less and cost much more. Choose between 5 levels of increased difficulty)

And damn this game looks good on my not-so-impressive pc... (anyone else pick wood elf?)

2011-12-04_00008.jpg

I'm really late on the boat, but I finally got the game and have been modding the oblivion out of it.

I consider these essential mods:

Enhanced Shaders WITH Darker Nights (addsmuch more drama and immersion)

Vurt's Flora Overhaul

Realistic Water Textures

Enhanced Night Sky

Cutthroat Merchants (Makes items sell for much less and cost much more. Choose between 5 levels of increased difficulty)

And damn this game looks good on my not-so-impressive pc... (anyone else pick wood elf?)

2011-12-04_00008.jpg

Pfffft, WOOD ELF? Nah, I'm so cool that I made a Khajiit who looks like and is named after my cat. I just thought it'd be funny to slay innocents with a bow and arrow as my cat, and as it turned out, it was indeed pretty funny. Bonus points for the ironic werewolf blood I acquired early on.

Anyone else finding that the game is really, really, really, ridiculously easy? I've been on master since I started, and umm... yeah, have not really had any difficulties after 40+ hours of play.

Pfffft, WOOD ELF? Nah, I'm so cool that I made a Khajiit who looks like and is named after my cat. I just thought it'd be funny to slay innocents with a bow and arrow as my cat, and as it turned out, it was indeed pretty funny. Bonus points for the ironic werewolf blood I acquired early on.

Anyone else finding that the game is really, really, really, ridiculously easy? I've been on master since I started, and umm... yeah, have not really had any difficulties after 40+ hours of play.

Khajiit freak me out. Tiger heads plopped onto human bodies is just odd.

I'm also on Master and as long as I have a companion, it's manageable. I look for mods like Cutthroat Merchants to up the challenge. A certain mod makes vampires instantly explode upon sunlight exposure, but that seems a bit much..

Khajiit freak me out. Tiger heads plopped onto human bodies is just odd.

I'm also on Master and as long as I have a companion, it's manageable. I look for mods like Cutthroat Merchants to up the challenge. A certain mod makes vampires instantly explode upon sunlight exposure, but that seems a bit much..

Wood elf power :D

So.. I've logged in 19 hours of gameplay. Zero FPS issues on high settings. Zero crashes. One glitch ever. I've also got a boatload of mods installed and newfound love for Futura as a font.

I'm never bored. Archery is super satisfying. The only complaint I could possibly make is the mediocre companion AI.

GOTY

if you read the article after 60 hours of gameplay which you clearly did not this may take a turn for the worst. even on your computer.

I'm up to around 70 hours and despite having come across loads of random glitches (most of them hilarious - I managed to launch an NPC several miles using a door) the only crippling bug I've come across involved saving during the final boss battle completely screweing everything up. The only fix was reloading an earlier save.

Oh... and an "essential" NPC that turned inexplicably hostile and refused to stop attacking me until I modified him with the console, killed him and revived him... I have no idea how that happened :x

The article was specifically talking about the PS3 version though. :\

I've logged like 120 hours on my PC and have not yet met with any game crippling bugs like that.

also what if he wasn't even talking about that article? icon_smarmy.gif

but it did note that it happens on the other systems too

anyways i just don't get what people enjoy about this game, its cool to run around and kill stuff and 'do whatever you want' but its pretty much a big sandbox with spells and arrows and swords, and npcs that are broken and do stupid things.

i mean seriously. half of the posts in this thread were 'hey this npc was running around yelling silly things LOL i luv this game!'

HOW ON EARTH do so many people like a game that was is so clearly buggy and glitchy it should not work

but it did note that it happens on the other systems too

No, it noted that unspecified bugs happen on the other systems as well.

anyways i just don't get what people enjoy about this game, its cool to run around and kill stuff and 'do whatever you want' but its pretty much a big sandbox with spells and arrows and swords, and npcs that are broken and do stupid things.

i mean seriously. half of the posts in this thread were 'hey this npc was running around yelling silly things LOL i luv this game!'

HOW ON EARTH do so many people like a game that was is so clearly buggy and glitchy it should not work

Because the game does enough right that people let things like that slide as minor annoyances, or even a direct source of entertainment.

To put it simply, big games get forgiveness because they have so much content that it is expected to have holes and they're generally not game breaking. And it is incredibly hard to account for all the actions such freedom can have on a game. It happens with GTA too. Small games don't get forgiven because they have less to work on [with some exceptions].

Updates today:

http://www.bethblog.com/2011/12/07/skyrim-update-1-3-now-on-steam/

To put it simply, big games get forgiveness because they have so much content that it is expected to have holes and they're generally not game breaking. And it is incredibly hard to account for all the actions such freedom can have on a game. It happens with GTA too. Small games don't get forgiven because they have less to work on [with some exceptions].

I don't believe this to be true for one second

you can have crap big games just as much as crap small games

as well as have fantastic big games and fantastic small games