Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

lazygecko

Not like that hasn't already been enabled by most people since day one...

What I'd like to see is larger amounts. They know the game is going to get modded to hell for years to come, which is what will give the game its longevity, and having that extra RAM available beyond just 4GB would help that along immensely.

but it did note that it happens on the other systems too

anyways i just don't get what people enjoy about this game, its cool to run around and kill stuff and 'do whatever you want' but its pretty much a big sandbox with spells and arrows and swords, and npcs that are broken and do stupid things.

i mean seriously. half of the posts in this thread were 'hey this npc was running around yelling silly things LOL i luv this game!'

HOW ON EARTH do so many people like a game that was is so clearly buggy and glitchy it should not work

Jeez, I dunno what to say other than I've had no big glitches. Compared to Oblivion, this game is clean as heck.

As for the enjoyment factor, the devil is in the details:

• The skill trees are exciting to unlock
  • archery and stealth feel rewarding and exciting
  • they did a lot to make dungeons not too repetitive
  • most shortcomings are simply fixed with a quick mod (like the 4GB thing is already enabled for me)
  • If you have the horsepower, the graphics are legitimately unprecedented
  • the world is highly immersive, thanks to the graphics and realistic questlines
  • with my solid state drives, loading times are about 5 seconds maximum

So to dismiss this game as just another sandbox, I just can't see it that way. They streamlined everything from Oblivion. Well, voice acting and dialogue animations are still pretty bad, but I'm having too much fun with the gameplay to mind.

but it did note that it happens on the other systems too

anyways i just don't get what people enjoy about this game, its cool to run around and kill stuff and 'do whatever you want' but its pretty much a big sandbox with spells and arrows and swords, and npcs that are broken and do stupid things.

i mean seriously. half of the posts in this thread were 'hey this npc was running around yelling silly things LOL i luv this game!'

HOW ON EARTH do so many people like a game that was is so clearly buggy and glitchy it should not work

Don't knock it before you try it ;o

I think the voice acting is really good... maybe you are thinking of the implementation? Like when an NPC gives you guff about how you should shut up or buy something and they sound all snarky, then you click "What have you got for sale" and suddenly they're all lollipops and rainbows and chips ahoy™ cookies. :puppyeyes:

I don't believe this to be true for one second

you can have crap big games just as much as crap small games

as well as have fantastic big games and fantastic small games

what's your point

he's saying that super mario bros (fantastic small game) took less time to tune and bugfix than skyrim (fantastic big game). hard to argue against.

tbh tho, i doubt gamers' forgiveness generally has much to do with realistic estimates of workload.

well, it's true that we tend to be more forgiving when it comes to badly misbehaving AIs in open worlds. it's because we don't know anything else...except ok working AI in more closed worlds.

as long as the bugs don't make it near unplayable, a weird aberration now and then actually may remind players that there's constant interaction going on between all the stuff, and that they're lucky enough playing this super early version of the holodeck utopia, so why bitch over every detail.

I think the voice acting is really good... maybe you are thinking of the implementation?

It's inconsistent. The female VAs are truly awful for the most part and other characters have no emphasis on anything they say. They say "oh my god, a dragon" in the same tone they greet you with.

It's definitely not all bad though. I really enjoy the well-acted Nord, ugly-lizard-face, and scottish-elf accents. Gives the game immersive variety :]

I was super impressed with this:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/06/skyrim-played-with-kinect-includes-voice-activated-dragon-shouts/

I may get the voice stuff for shouts -- any shout on voice command with no menus sounds like a winning move to me.

That's pretty awesome, but playing with a 360 controller makes the menus not so bad. My only gripe is that I want to map a quicksave and take screenshot button to the controller, but I'm not sure how.

Anyone have an idea for this? Know a program?

I never thought this would be a leading reason to use a 360 controller, but the rumble feature is seriously the best-implemented in any game ever.

When a dragon flies close over you, it rumbles just a tad then BAM, maximum rumble when it's right on top of you. It also rumbles on arrow shots and heavy hits. It doesn't sound like much but man, it adds to everything so much.

Also: 32 hours logged, zero crashes.

• 3 weeks later...

The creation kit is probably going to be released in a few days, but there's already some great mods you can get. Here are some of my favorite gameplay for rebalancing to make it more fun and/or challenging

PISE

Deadly Dragons

True Darker Nights

Balanced Magic

Reweighed Potions

Faster Arrows

Snotgurgs Useful Food

Playing with these in a sort of self-enforced hardcore mode where 1 death means it's completely over, can't use quickloads, can't use fast travel. The game is much more intense, enjoyable and rewarding this way.