How do YOU use FL Studio? (title changed for controversy)

Do you know any way of quickly changing the current note color that you're drawing in? Right now I'm having to resort to actually clicking on it, which is sort of a pain...

I'd love this feature as well, I currently must ctrl+drag to select notes and then alt+c to change colours.. While they're at it I'd also like bigger differences in colour as I really can't tell the difference without actually listening where it's sending it to

Man, I just finally learned how to use automation clips and the playlist to have sections of a song in different tempo.

I'm such a boss.

And like Monobrow, I never use patterns and also input every single note in by mouse (of course something like a drum-loop I made I would copy-paste it over and over as needed).

Though maybe now that I know how to use the playlist I can do something with that... Eh, either way it doesn't really matter.

• 3 weeks later...
Man, I just finally learned how to use automation clips and the playlist to have sections of a song in different tempo.

I'm such a boss.

And like Monobrow, I never use patterns and also input every single note in by mouse (of course something like a drum-loop I made I would copy-paste it over and over as needed).

Though maybe now that I know how to use the playlist I can do something with that... Eh, either way it doesn't really matter.

Have you figured out how to get rid of tempo lag? For example there's a delay went FL studio tries to change tempo from automation clips.

speaking of tempo automation, do you guys generally use edit events or automation clips for tempo changes? I think I generally find IIRC that automation clips are really buggy for me for some reason when it comes to tempo changes (note that my automation clip isn't the length of the whole song)

or maybe it was just when I tried to combine the two that all hell broke loose. heh.

Same here. I never actually use edit events for everything because they're stupid. >[noparse]:([/noparse]

:o

It's not such a bad way to automate. I kinda found it hard... no, impossible... to keep track of event edits at first, but I found that there's a list of event edits sorted by pattern in the "Current Project" tab in the browser, so that made them usable in my book. Plus, I find it easier to pencil in automation in the edit events piano roll than in the automation clip. Since you can export edit events automation to an automation clip, that's kinda become my mode of choice for automation. Basically, you get the flexibility of the event editor (LFOs, many drawing tools, etc.) with the visibility of an automation clip.

• 1 month later...

edit events are easy to keep track of if you compose your entire song in one pattern, which is what I used to do :P

I've been using a more standard approach to the program as of late, it's a little slower for me to get stuff down at first but it has it's benefit if I decide to completely re-arrange the song structure later on...this entirely makes no sense for me because most of what I do musically lately is compos...

does anyone else use a wave candy template to replace the default scopes? I have 3 wave candies on my master by default

flpicf.jpg

I have 3 gigs of RAM and an AMD athlon 64 X2 6000+ CPU

I do plan to upgrade soonish but when I do I'm just going to get a new computer, for the time being I usually don't hit any walls where it's really overloading my comp anyway unless I use inefficient plugins(most synthedit stuff :(...)

Get an i7. :-D It's worth it.

yeah I plan to make my next computer a total beast so I can just run nearly anything

anyway back on FL advice, I've recently started actually using the plugin picker, I used to ignore it because it bombards you with a ton of stuff at first and doesn't seem as fast but it's really useful if you go in and customize it. FL Studio 10 > Data > Patches > Plugin Database, delete everything you don't use often, then in FL you can add things to it by selecting the database in the browser and there's an option to add the current plugin to the selected folder in the plugin wrapper. then you can insert any of your go-to plugins just by hitting ctrl F8 or right clicking the FX slots in the mixer(wish there was a way to just bring up generators like this...). you can also take most of your sample based stuff like slicex, sf2 player, granulator etc out because you can just open those from the browser with the desired samples

another thing I didn't know about the picker is that when you add plugin to database it saves its state and will load that, so if you want to change the default of something(eew sytrus strings...), just delete it, change the settings, and re-add it.