The most awkward cringe-inducing video game ad ever

Benjamin Briggs

Admit it guys. If there was a We Dare booth at MAGFest the crowd would be beyond huge.

Hell yeah! That should be at next year's Overclocked After Dark panel.

I don't know how they were able to pull this off, or get this past Ubisoft's quality control team (if they have one). Even Nintendo approved of this shit in Europe. FUCKING NINTENDO! At least it's not going to be released in the US.

There was a big thread on Ars Technical about this game, saying that it was now more appropriate to have these kinds of party games for teenagers. They basically are this generations version of "spin the bottle".

Imagine if you have a bunch if 16 to 18 year olds, you are in a group of 10 people or so... This might be the new thing to do now.

There was a big thread on Ars Technical about this game, saying that it was now more appropriate to have these kinds of party games for teenagers. They basically are this generations version of "spin the bottle".

Imagine if you have a bunch if 16 to 18 year olds, you are in a group of 10 people or so... This might be the new thing to do now.

You're right. I wouldn't be surprised honestly, especially with more markets coming into gaming.

I keep finding myself thinking that the entire premise of "We Dare" is somehow hurting the game industry (and, wrongly so, I have no proof), but honestly, who the hell am I to say what a video game should or should not be? Yeah, this game doesn't necessarily appeal to me (or many of us on this forum) but with the new markets that the Wii and Kinect brought in to the gaming scene, this is just a natural extension of that.

Whether we as traditional gamers like this game or not, I'm sure we all know people (or knew people) that would be into this kind of thing. I certainly do, and while they're not the type of people I like to associate with often, Ubisoft could be on to something for that kind of market. Who knows if it'll succeed.

I'm more interested with how defensive everyone is getting over this game. And I'm guilty of it too. I don't understand it. Is it the pandering aspect? Or is it because we all feel like gaming we grew up with is changing (or threatened by this kind of stuff)?

You're right. I wouldn't be surprised honestly, especially with more markets coming into gaming.

I keep finding myself thinking that the entire premise of "We Dare" is somehow hurting the game industry (and, wrongly so, I have no proof), but honestly, who the hell am I to say what a video game should or should not be? Yeah, this game doesn't necessarily appeal to me (or many of us on this forum) but with the new markets that the Wii and Kinect brought in to the gaming scene, this is just a natural extension of that.

Whether we as traditional gamers like this game or not, I'm sure we all know people (or knew people) that would be into this kind of thing. I certainly do, and while they're not the type of people I like to associate with often, Ubisoft could be on to something for that kind of market. Who knows if it'll succeed.

I'm more interested with how defensive everyone is getting over this game. And I'm guilty of it too. I don't understand it. Is it the pandering aspect? Or is it because we all feel like gaming we grew up with is changing (or threatened by this kind of stuff)?

I'm not saying that this sort of thing is of poor quality or bad for the industry, but I am surprised that a kid friendly company like Nintendo is willing to release this game for the Wii.

Is it really that surprising though? It's not going to get an adult rating by any means, and let's be honest, Nintendo's quality standards are super low as far as quality content goes (Superman 64, really?). Nintendo is not outside of allowing suggestive content on their machines either. Case in point: Zero-Suit Samus, not to mention all the suggestive things she does and what Snake blatantly says about the character in Smash Bros Brawl. And Conker's Bad Fur Day for the N64 was released by Rare when they were a 2nd Party, arguably when Nintendo's reputation as a child-friendly family company was even stronger. All of these examples were either made by Nintendo or published by them, too; it doesn't count any of the 3rd parties. Samus particularly in Brawl is blatant sexual fan service and that's Nintendo's own property. They knew what they were doing.

We Dare is a special case because of its ridiculous trailer and premise, but it's suggestive nature is, in actuality, pretty silly more than anything else. Don't get me wrong, it certainly is unusual, but its not like suggestive or sexual titles haven't been released before on a Nintendo system. As far suggestive material goes, it's pretty tame.

It'll get slapped with a "Suggestive Themes" for the rating and get rated M probably, but that's about it.... and get way more marketing and press than it deserves probably.

How in the world does 'videogame characters flying through rings' (blatantly plagiarizing NIGHTS in the process) translate to 'spanking the nice lady on the butt'?!

I don't even...

You know, that second minigame kind of looks like a really God-awful take on NiGHTS where you spank each other instead of using any sort of reasonable control device.

OH GOD NO WHY SERIOUSLY NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

I believe in nothing anymore. There is no hope anywhere. Innocence is dead. Simply dead. I may be the co-host of a podcast that talks about, looks at, and reads the most depraved and disgusting stuff you can find on the internet, but THIS. THIS is beyond me.

Simply put: my childhood innocence and nostalgia != flying through rings being controlled by spanking someone's butt that has a $30 controller stuck in it. I hate you, Ubisoft.

Avoid any house that has this game inside of it, and no one should ever think of touching controllers related to anyone within that house. It's just a safety precaution everyone needs to take, for the good of humanity.

And no, Ubisoft: those are not what people look like who will be your target demographic for playing this game. THESE are what they look like:

nerd.jpg

geek.jpg

grandmawii.jpg

If you click on them you get new windows that feature the girls taking off their shirts and stuff.

I don't know if anyone is feeling threatened really, though to be honest I am surprised I'm the first one to point out that there is in fact a decent business reason to put this game out.

The "Europe vs. USA prudishness" argument aside (and let's face it, if it came out in the US I'm sure the 15-21 year olds would love to have it for their birthday parties), there are going to be a handful of people who will pick this game up for shits and giggles.

As I said, if this game was featured at MAGFest or at the OCAD Panel or whatever, the crowds that it would attract would be gigantic and it's all because it's a huge joke.

Regardless I think the reason that people look at this and cringe is because the ad is so... well, over-the-top. The people in the trailer look about ten years too old and $2000 too overdressed to be the actual target audience (which I would have guessed would have been 18-25 college kids). The mere suggestion that playing this game leads to sex is also ridiculous, even if the flirtatious and silliness is pretty commonplace nowadays.

As I said it's pretty much the 2010's version of "Spin the Bottle". And most of us posting on this forum are about 5-15 years too old for that. ;) Or maybe not....