Super Mario 64 - Wind Cap Remix

youthboy14

This has a lot in it that's good, and a lot that's not so good, so here goes my honest critique.

The Bad:

Well, you've got to do something with a few of your sound choices. The arpeggiating bell tone sounds like a vanilla Sytrus preset that hasn't been produced or manipulated at all. It needs some effects or something to make it not so plain. It's also quite loud compared to the rest of the mix. You might automate the panning to go from side to side for a neat effect too.

That sustained pad is way too much. I don't know if you have a filter on there or if it's another preset with a phasing effect included in it, but it's really edgy when the rest of your mix is not. It sticks out like a sore thumb in the mellow atmosphere of the song. Regardless of whether you change it or not, turn this down too. This is background stuff and should support everything else that's happening.

I think the lead instrument is a mixed bag. It has a really melodic feel to it and the volume is just right, but because of the other pads/arps, it just feels wrong. Fix the other volume issues and I think this part will shine more.

You'll have to do a little more creative variation for this to qualify as a remix. It's sounding more like a stylistic cover right now. You can use that as a base to work from, but you're gonna have to do more than change the instrumentation and mood to convince the judges that this is a bona fide remix.

The Good:

I really dig the mellow groove this mix has. It's evokes the image of walking in the rain on a dreary day, but at the same time it gives you that emotion. Hard to put it in words exactly, but the mood is just right.

The drum sequencing is superb for this style. However, it needs some change-ups to prevent it from becoming boring. Keep the groove, but play with the patterns.

The plucked bell sound (not sure how to describe it) at the very end of the melodic line is a nice touch. You should have it sound off more often to accentuate the melody and give your song more depth.

Other Thoughts:

The pads and the arps are really holding your song back from a sound standpoint. Change the sounds and balance them out to fit the mood. You do a good job of setting a great groove and mood with the drums, the bass, and the melody, but the pads and arps just kill everything you built up.

Keep working at it. I'll be interested to hear more.

This has a lot in it that's good, and a lot that's not so good, so here goes my honest critique.

The Bad:

Well, you've got to do something with a few of your sound choices. The arpeggiating bell tone sounds like a vanilla Sytrus preset that hasn't been produced or manipulated at all. It needs some effects or something to make it not so plain. It's also quite loud compared to the rest of the mix. You might automate the panning to go from side to side for a neat effect too.

That sustained pad is way too much. I don't know if you have a filter on there or if it's another preset with a phasing effect included in it, but it's really edgy when the rest of your mix is not. It sticks out like a sore thumb in the mellow atmosphere of the song. Regardless of whether you change it or not, turn this down too. This is background stuff and should support everything else that's happening.

I think the lead instrument is a mixed bag. It has a really melodic feel to it and the volume is just right, but because of the other pads/arps, it just feels wrong. Fix the other volume issues and I think this part will shine more.

You'll have to do a little more creative variation for this to qualify as a remix. It's sounding more like a stylistic cover right now. You can use that as a base to work from, but you're gonna have to do more than change the instrumentation and mood to convince the judges that this is a bona fide remix.

The Good:

I really dig the mellow groove this mix has. It's evokes the image of walking in the rain on a dreary day, but at the same time it gives you that emotion. Hard to put it in words exactly, but the mood is just right.

The drum sequencing is superb for this style. However, it needs some change-ups to prevent it from becoming boring. Keep the groove, but play with the patterns.

The plucked bell sound (not sure how to describe it) at the very end of the melodic line is a nice touch. You should have it sound off more often to accentuate the melody and give your song more depth.

Other Thoughts:

The pads and the arps are really holding your song back from a sound standpoint. Change the sounds and balance them out to fit the mood. You do a good job of setting a great groove and mood with the drums, the bass, and the melody, but the pads and arps just kill everything you built up.

Keep working at it. I'll be interested to hear more.

Some of your ''Bads'' sound more like prefrence :P

ontopic:: Its smooths, as said groove style in there but kick drum seem hidden/quiet or muddy to me.

Also i think you should change the attack time on the pad to something faster, it feels kinda off beat.

the drums for this type of track feels repetitive so add some parts in if you want.

and the bass is ok but it sounds thin in my opinion just me tho :P

Overall mix is not bad, just keep at it and experiment.